The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Nope. Pretty new stuff, having been approved less than a year ago. Apparently it's a cousin to drugs like Ozempic and Trulicity but kind of combining their strengths. Good luck with it! Would love to hear how it works for you.

·
Super Moderator
10,431 Posts
I read that it wasn't available from pharmacies as of June 1. Maybe it is by now. It's that new!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doctor was very clear there was risk. It was my choice. Doctor said safety from tests, so far, that it was very safe. Not for Type Ones.

Has a pen that looks science fictiony. Injected first time three days ago, Friday 8-5-2020. This comes in step up graduated doses, so person can acclimate, and I guess safety, determine correct dose level for the specific individual.

My thought on that being, the first month at minimal dose is not going to give me much in terms of weight loss. And I have a tough diet I have agreed to follow forty carbs per meal. Including,, eat only within a small set periods for each meal. Also included a small reduction in Novolog from 28 units three times a day in, to 20 Units Insulin. In fact, I had in mind a more restricted diet, that would have involved reducing insulin more.

For a normal person, they are concerned with calories in versus calories burned. and the dietician added also depends on the quality of food eaten.

For me it has been about I am taking so much insulin, by order of doc, and eating to match that amount of insulin to keep my blood glucose number down. Dietician seemed more willing for my Blood Glucose to be over two hundred.

Several years ago, I was told by an individual, who, told me a study revealed that of those classified as Type Two Diabetics were actually Type one. By how the drug Mounjaro works, it should be fatal to Type Ones.

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
For me it has been about I am taking so much insulin, by order of doc, and eating to match that amount of insulin to keep my blood glucose number down. Dietician seemed more willing for my Blood Glucose to be over two hundred.
Higher than 200 on a regular basis or during acclimation? If nothing else, this points out what a balancing act we have to perform to keep calorie intake, expenditure, glucose intake, and insulin levels in check.[/QUOTE]

Several years ago, I was told by an individual, who, told me a study revealed that of those classified as Type Two Diabetics were actually Type one.
We've had some new members recently with LATA, which presents more like Type 2 early on but quickly develops into a Type 1 kind of diabetes. I know mbuster has recommended a particular medical test to help determine if a person is Type 2 or on their way to (or at) LATA.

·
Super Moderator
10,431 Posts
What I remember reading is that there is a long titration period for ramping up to the max dose of Mounjaro. Probably for safety and giving time to acclimate. It's always good to research and understand the risks and benefits of your meds.

LADA (Type 1.5) is often early on misdiagnosed as Type 2 because insulin production has not been noticeably affected and BG levels aren't skyrocketing. There are set of antibody tests that can help determine if LADA

From the JDRF article

Less common T1D tests
Because each case can be as unique as the individual, some doctors may employ the following tests to find markers of T1D to ensure the optimal treatment plan:
  • C-Peptide
    While most tests check for antibodies, this test measures how much C-peptide is in a person’s blood. Peptide levels typically mirror insulin levels in the body. Low levels of C-peptide and insulin can point to T1D.
  • Insulin Autoantibodies (IAA)
    This tests looks for the antibodies targeting insulin.
  • Insulinoma-Associated-2 Autoantibodies (IA-2A)
    This test looks for antibodies mounted against a specific enzyme in beta cells. Both the IA-2A and GADA tests are common T1D antibody tests.
  • Zinc Transporter 8 (ZnT8Ab)
    This test looks at antibodies targeting an enzyme that is specific to beta cells.
  • Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Autoantibodies (ICA)
    Islet cells are clusters of cells in the pancreas that produce hormones, including insulin. This test identifies a type of islet cell antibodies present in up to 80 percent of people with T1D.
  • Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies (GADA or Anti-GAD)
    This test looks for antibodies built against a specific enzyme in the insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells.
My understanding is that GAD Antibodies may or may not be present initially but may be there later, same may be tru with some of the other antibodies. I think upon diagnosis of type 2, they should run a C-peptide test and if low, run the antibody panel tests. I think they should also run those test for patients whose BG averages are over 140 mg/DL (7.8 mmol/L). But that's just me thinking.

Reactions: itissteve
1 - 6 of 6 Posts