The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm type 1 diabetic and my endo suggested putting me on Ozempic to help with my sugars (and if it helps me loose some weight we'll consider that an extra bonus because I am a little overweight) and I'm thinking about giving it a shot and see how it goes, but I would like to hear if anyone else who has Type 1 has tried it and what their experiences were like?

· Administrator
2,737 Posts
If there is someone on the forum who's tried it, I hope they come on in and relate their experience.

What (non-doctor) I have seen on the Internet is that Ozempic is okay for T1s only under specific conditions. Type 1 is not something Novo Nordisk (manufacturer) endorses as a primary use for Ozempic but apparently there are some T1s with a combination of wrinkles to their diabetes that makes Ozempic worth a try.

I will point out that many of us are in the "fewer the better" school of pharmaceutical treatment. And those folks would ask if lowering your carb intake or your calorie intake is not an option at this point?

I would recommend doing a Web search for ozempic type 1 diabetes and reading the various sites that discuss its use with Type 1s. You know which particular shades of insulin resistance, etc. you have and that your doctor may be thinking about.

· Super Moderator
10,694 Posts
Sorry not a Type 1 nor ever used Ozempic (simaglutide). I agree with @itissteve, do your research on it. Weigh the risks and benefits for you so that you are not jumping into it blindly.

The following unsolicted response is just my opinion, and since you are new here I'll repeat my disclaimer: Take my opinion and a dollar and you may still be able to get a small coffee at McDonalds.

As a Type 1, unless your pancreas still has functioning beta cells and your body is still capable of making more insulin, Ozempic is not going to do much for your BGfrom that perspective however it may help reduce your liver's output of stored glucose (glycogen) back into circulation. There may also be some BG benefit from it slowing down leaving the stomach. In this study it shows to have helped. But it mentions that dietary management is revised for the user, so my mind questions was the improvement due more to the dietary changes (details of which are not mentioned) or due to the simaglutide use, or was there a little from both?

It is known to work and has become a fad for those who can afford it to have it prescribed as a weight loss treatment. It is also known as Wegovy and Rybelsus. Mounjaro (a Tirzepatide) is is also a Type 2 medication being prescribed for weight loss.

I've just started reading about a natural product that has weight loss and BG improvement potential. I'll try to start a thread on it tomorrow or Tuesday. It may be something you may want to consider if you don't want to do the Ozempic.

· Registered
62 Posts
The manufacturer of Ozempic has pharmacists who one can call on the phone, who will answer questions. They have rules that they can not do anything like prescribing. I suspect they can answer hypothesis.

Such as, I am this type of Diabetic, how would Ozempic help me?

In my local McDonalds, a Senior Coffee costs more than a dollar now.

· Administrator
2,737 Posts
The manufacturer of Ozempic has pharmacists who one can call on the phone, who will answer questions.
Good tip! Thanks!
In my local McDonalds, a Senior Coffee costs more than a dollar now.
It's $1 in the afternoons here, any size, so long as it's black. The fancy stuff (or if they put ice in it) costs much more.

· Super Moderator
10,694 Posts
I've already injected the possibility of coffee price increases with "...may still be able to get a small coffee...". :) Would i be safe for a while saying 10 bits, a buck and a quarter or 12 bits, a buck and a half? :unsure:

I am speaking about a plain black coffee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts