The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:confused:

I had a checkup today with my endo and got some confusing information and some changes in my supplements and meds. Seems I've lost more weight than she wants, so she told me to add more carbs for two weeks and see if I can regain 5 lbs. Also, my thyroid has not responded to treatment, so that's been upped and a change in type.

Can anyone tell me where to go to learn more about the connection between them?

My fasting was 101, but unknown to her is that when I had the blood draw it had been about 16 hrs since I'd anything but water because of events that caused me to have to wait to get to the hospital to have them done before I could eat. Won't that explain a higher number?

All in all, other than extreme fatigue which she says could well be from the thyroid connection I'm still puttering along.

Can anyone tell me if more fat will add more lbs? I really have no interest in raising my weight by raising my BG if there is any way.

She really has changed the supplements I take for a few months, to see if that will have an effect.

Anyway, any insight in to this or advice from any of you would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I wouldn't increase the carbs either. Sometimes weight loss can be from muscle loss as we age. I would suggest upping your protein just a little and upping your fat. Also try to do some weigt bearing exercises to build muscle. I know last year when I had a bad reaction to statins I lost way too much weight. I looked like a skeleton at 110 pounds. I have now added about 10 pounds by adding fat and lifting light weights.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
13 Posts
Patdart,
Are you hypo or hyperthyroid? You could be losing too much weight because your thyroid is OVER active. In that case, when your thyroid improves, you may gain back the weight.
Also I agree. Do not overdo the carbs or you may be on DM meds. Eat a nice juice steak!!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just a note:

The popular gurus now say it is not high carbs or high fat that causes weight gain, it's high carbs with high fat that causes weight gain.

ColaJim

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Adding the fat should help with the low energy (if the thyroid allows it), but probably not with the weight gain. Medium chain triglycerides (basically, coconut oil) would be excellent for energy.

I've heard many people saying (including Dr. B if I'm not mistaken) that the way to approach this is to up the share of protein in your diet slightly. Similarly, many who either don't lose excess weight or gain on a low-carb diet usually need to decrease the share of protein.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts