Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. Miller is professor of surgery, cardiothoracic division, Univ. Washington

Dr Miller is an heart surgeon :smile:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I heard Dr. Miller say he starts off every day with 2 tablespoons of Coconut oil. While I haven't tasted it, it doesn't look real appetizing. Does anyone on the forum eat coconut oil? Do you just eat it plain right out of the container? I have been on this ultra low carb diet for 1 week, but I get a sense my fat level is not where it needs to be. My bg levels have been pretty eratic with about as many in target (70 to 140) readings as out of target, but while averaging about 100.

Reactions: skypeace

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I use it for everything, candy, cooking, frying, etc. I too put some in my coffee in the morning. I use the refined spectrum brand, tasteless, odorless, cause I like it that way. (I hate Coconut)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Okay...thanks. My morning cup of coffee will get a coconut oil injection.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had it in coffee, but I prefer it in a spiced tea instead. The faint coconut taste goes very well with the spices.

I like stir-frying veg and meat in it, but I don't like it for things like eggs (which just for some reason for me NEED butter or bacon dripping) that are delicate in flavor.

I have made the coconut bark, and have mixed coconut with peanut butter (YUM).

I eat coconut oil on my up-calorie days, but usually not on down days.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If anyone else is a chemistry nerd, like me, there's a fatty acid profile of butterfat, palm oil, and coconut oil here. Food is so much more enjoyable when you know its chemical structure. :p

Reactions: foxl

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Beef tallow

My recent search for saturated fats has led me to rendering beef fat. I can't have butter or eggs, and don't eat pork, so was relying a lot on vegetable oils and margarin.

A few days ago I tried my hand at rendering beef fat (which is called tallow - rendered pork fat is called lard - same thing, though). It wasn't all that difficult, and I now have a butter-like fat to use in cooking and spreading on things. Chicken fried in this fat is to die for!

I'm glad to have a source of saturated fat.

I also use coconut oil in baking and in hot drinks. Don't much like the flavor of it in fried foods.

·
Registered
253 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts