The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was in the er last night with blood sugar level of 498 sweating,gagging,peeing every two mins and very weak (YES I know these are signs of HIGH sugar levels I KNOW) they pumped me full of two bags of liquid and two insulin shots they tell me that my metformin is not doing anything for me and that I should stop taking It and stay just on the insulin and speak to my doc about changing my insulin to a fast acting one and a slower one im so sick of dealing with diabetes I'm about to throw my hands up and say screw it I'm done.Anywho 4hrs later I'm leaving the er with a blood sugar level of 360..

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm sorry you've been, and are, so sick - and that they released you before your numbers were lower than that. When I was in ER they wouldn't let me go until I was in the 200's.

Apart from the metformin and insulin, what have you been doing towards trying to control your diabetes? What is your diet like? Weight? Exercise? These things play such a huge role in control. For me, flipping my diet was hugely successful because the metformin can do only so much.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I am so sorry you had to go through that!

I had an experience close to yours. Like Moon, however, they would not let me go home until I was in the 200s and they gave me a supply of the proper insulins. (Perhaps this is because that's when I was diagnosed. Got the meter then, too.)

Can you call your doc and get the proper meds?

You're in my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Your information makes it seem like you are a type 1 diabetic. If so, insulin is the only treatment you need. Basal and bolus insulins will enable you to have very good control, and good health. It will take time to adjust, and to the determine correct dosages. Once you are stable you will feel so much better! I hope you have a good doctor to make the correct diagnosis and to prescribe the correct treatment. Good luck during the months ahead.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
dmcb5, were you ever tested for GAD antibodies or even c-peptide? I hope your docs stay on track of this & get you on a good course for control.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm about to throw my hands up and say screw it I'm done.
If you look at the bottom of my post you will see that my signature says, "Optimism is the foundation of courage." I chose that because it takes both optimism and courage to fight diabetes, and you may not think you have those 2 traits, but you have more courage than you think you do. And after your doctor starts working on your meds, I believe you'll have more optimism, too.

At times we all get angry at Diabetes, but please try not to be so upset, because that can raise your bg. Keep us posted.

G

·
not good to hear you've been unwell... thinking of you. As Shanny has already mentioned, you need to get those tests done if you haven't already done so. If you were diagnosed with type 2, you could in fact be type 1.5 or you may have beta cell damage and need to be on insulin (I'm like that) so oral meds don't work. I hope you're feeling much better and soon. Take care ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts