The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent more than a year trying to get accurate diagnosis and treatment for a heart condition characterized by fainting, lightheadedness, chest pain, abnormal heartbeat, skipped heartbeats, and irregularly fast resting heart rate (120bpm if not higher).

Keep in mind I am 21 years old, and not "obese." I do not eat many unhealthy things since I live in a dorm where the cafeteria is strictly regulated. I sometimes get a burrito at a local mexican place, but I see what they put in it, and its very lean.

I thought I had some mild hypoglycemic issues because I would get irritable when I had gone too long without food because stopping to eat was not what someone else wanted to do. That seems to have worsened.. now I cant sleep through the night unless I eat right beforehand. When I am hungry, I get nauseated, and my sense of the temperature becomes way off. I will think it's around 90 degrees in a 60 degree room, for example. Other times I feel cold. I have horrible acid reflux every day, and I have gained 40 lbs in the last 2 years. I am currently verging on 160lbs, which is 30lbs higher than my ideal weight since I am 5'6". I am constantly thirsty, I always have to have something to drink next to me, not having one greatly upsets me and it becomes all I can think about. I also have to pee all the time. Usually once every 2-3 hours, when I used to go around 5-10 hours without needing to use the bathroom. I now wake up in the middle of the night ever night becuase my bladder is about to explode. I am also constantly hungry.

Lately I have found it impossible to get out of bed in the morning. My heart will be going crazy- fast, skipping beats, chest pain.. I will feel lightheaded and my head will sometimes hurt horribly. If I don't keep some kind of food next to my bed I just dont get up. I usually get headaches 3 days out of the week.

Years ago I had a blood sugar test, and it came back normal, but it was not interpreted by an endocrinologist, and I really had none of these symptoms besides being cranky when I was hungry. I am thinking I need to have a full workup and have them search everything they can including a full kidney function test to find the problem. I don't know what I have, but I think its endocrinological.. and may be diabetes.

What do you guys think? thanks ahead of time for your input.
Heather

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah i forgot to mention that i am always tired and quite often feel achy like i have the flu. having to walk anywhere seems like a punishment, and my body feels very taxed even walking a few blocks. I don't know why this is, as I am not THAT overweight. I also have been able to exercise when I wasnt having flare ups of whatever this is. I have been able to use an elliptical at a fast pace and burn over 1000 calories in a workout (about 90 mins of working out).. so I know that its something besides just being overweight and not working out regularly. That 1000 calorie workout was like the 3rd one I did after 10 years of really not formally exercising.

I also feel like this sometimes just standing up, and then it can develop into fainting in that case. when I faint I snap back as soon as I fall down, and blood flow returns to my brain. This is apparently vasovagal syncope.. but I am wondering WHY i have that. my heart has no physical defects, and it was ruled that whatever it is, is interference from another system like my autonomic nervous system, but no prevention or successful treatments have been pinpointed for me.

i'm thinking i'm not sick "just because".. which is what they are telling me now.. saying i will grow out of it, as it gets worse.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You exhibit several signs of diabetes but we cannot guess on your diagnosis. You NEED to go to a doctor and have some blood work done. Your doctor will probably want you to have a fasting glucose and an A1C done, amongst other tests. Possibly he'll want to check your thyroid, too, which has many of the symptoms you describe, including thirst. Please call your doctor, see if he will order some blood work in advance so when you go to see him he will already have the results to discuss with you. Good luck. Whatever they find, there will be ways to make you feel much better. I'm kind of learning more towards thyroid problems but only some testing will tell. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Heather, welcome to our community! I hope you see an endocrinologist as soon as possible and get an accurate diagnosis. Your symptoms sound very much like diabetes but only the appropriate tests can reveal the true picture. Please let us know how this turns out. Good luck!

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts