The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my first order from netrition.com of eryritol. I've looked and looked for guidelines on the Internet in regard to using the product in baking. It seems the general guidelines are to use liquid splenda with it, but no one says "how much". Anyone here care to share some tips?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It has about 70% of the sweetening power of sucrose. I like less anyhow so using it 1 for one or even less works for most of my cooking.

For less crunchiness, due to it's relatively lower solubility, grind it to a fine powder after measuring. I use my coffee grinder.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of ignorance, I ordered the powdered variety. Should I have ordered the granular?

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I use both the granular and the powder. I prefer the granular when baking, but I prefer the powder in cream.
I dont like to much sweet, so when I find a reciepe with splenda I cut the splenda in two. And this half I add a pinch of stevia.
For example, when I make my almond cake I use
200 gram almond,
1/4 cup with erythritol (you can use granular or powder),
a pinch of stevia and
4 egg white

Reactions: Bugg

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Erythritol will burn easier than sugar or other sweeteners so you have to watc your oven temp and cooking times. I use the granular type and process it if I want to make frosting. Most of the time I will use granular Splenda in conjunction with Erythritol. If it calls for 1 cup sugar I will 3/4 cup eryth and 1/4 cup Splenda, you will have to play with this ratio for your own taste buds though. Erythritol has a cooling sensation in your mouth, sugar alcohol effect, so if you add an additional sweetener it seems to do away with this effect. In cookies and other items you are looking for a crunch you may consider adding some cream of Tartar, it helps prevent eryhtritol from over cystalizing, a problem when using eryhtritol. Eryhtritol cooks a lot like sugar, with less stomach distress than Xylitol for me. When making frostings I use a combination of Erythritol, Nutrasweet, Sachrin, it gives an over all full sweeteness you get from using sugar.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use the Grandular, too. Since I don't like things overly sweet I usually only use half of the erythitol. Sometimes I will mix stevia in with it. If I am making cookies and rolling them in something before baking I usually use splenda for that. I've never had a problem with spiking with Erythitol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts