The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a university researcher investigating the different types of glucometers available in the market and how well they satisfy patient needs.
Firstly I?d like to get some of your opinions on the glucometers you use and what factors influenced your choice?

Secondly, if you had the opportunity to influence the design of future glucometers that would be released into the market:
? What kind of features would you like them to have that they don?t currently possess?
? What extra information on blood glucose monitoring do you want your glucometers to provide?

Your contribution would be very valuable. I would also be willing to show you the results obtained from the survey I?m carrying out on current glucometers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I am 68 and have been diabetic for 62 years. I have trouble with arthritis and my eyesight when I am doing close-up work. It is very awkward for me to open a vial of strips and handle them properly and separate one from the group and insert it without touching the spots where the blood is to be placed. I tend to drop them frequently and sometimes spill the whole container of strips on the floor or in my lap. I like the Relion meter sold at Walmart. The strips are individually wrapped and it is so much easier to work with them.

I would like a meter that gives me 7, 14 and 30 day averages and also the standard deviation for each of those periods of time. The standard deviation is a very meanibgful statistic but I don't think many diabetics even know what it is. I have to use my calculator and compute my own but it is very time consuming. Some insulin pump brands have a standard deviation option. I use the Minimed and it does not have that feature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your message. Regarding the strips there is a glucometer by Roche - AccuChek Compact. Instead of you inserting the strip into the glucomter each time, a drum of strips are provided. You insert the drum and it releases a new strip when you need it.
Regarding the standard deviation calculation, i haven't found any glucometer that calculates this, however many glucometers have software that you can download your blood glucose results into and then you can do more sophisticated calculations.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
35 Posts
i use the one though ultra 2, it is not mine meter.
so i look for unother one.
also i look for who i can take with me when i go out.
maybe i take the contour.

wich meters do some off you use.

gr ria

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
the easy i think you mean.
i have him here but i don't use him any more.
he have not the write valeu.
when my valeu is 2,5 mmol :rolleyes: and doing my work and no sence of it.
but the easy 'he says i have to low or 1.1mmol.
when i have that then i can not working.

so thats why i do not use him any more.
now i thing that i take the lifestyle lie for my work.
gr ria

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Gee Ria:

Both 2.5mmol/L and 1.1mmol/L are Very low as you know. If you don't feel the symptoms of low blood sugar at those numbers then you probably have a degree of hypounawareness which can be dangerous. I hope that you mentioned this to your Dr. Checking your sugar and/or having something to eat before you drive(if you drive) is recommended.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ria:

I was just thinking. Do you get the meters free where you are or does your employer or Insurance pay for them?

We get the meters free here at most drug stores but you have to purchase the 100 strips. Do they give them free at your drugstores?

Or if we ask our Endo or Dietician. They give us the testing meter and kit also free. I hear that the Netherlands have a Very Good health system there.

The meter companies send coupons for free meters if you phone them tollfree or e-mail the company. They send me them but I've never asked them for any. I take the coupon to the drug store and they give me what meter I decide I want.

I have never paid for a meter. My Husband's Employer would also pay for it including the newer ones since they pay for the strips but since I can get the meter free these other ways, I might as well. I have 2 Ultra 2's and the Freestyle Mini meter. I will be getting the Ultra Mini that is shown in the site that I put up.

My Friend just got a coupon for the Contour and picked up the meter from the drugstore, since he lost his other one. He likes the Contour.

I just looked at ebay.com and ebay.ca. They have a lot of different types of testing strips for sale at different prices. I saw meters there also but I don't think that it's a good idea to buy a meter off of ebay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gee Ria:

Both 2.5mmol/L and 1.1mmol/L are Very low as you know. If you don't feel the symptoms of low blood sugar at those numbers then you probably have a degree of hypounawareness which can be dangerous. I hope that you mentioned this to your Dr. Checking your sugar and/or having something to eat before you drive(if you drive) is recommended.
i know that this is very big problem.
my dr he know's it, but mine stomach i must not to have my blood sugar to high.
when i drive i car ot bicycle control myself every half our or our.

gr ria

·
Registered
35 Posts
we can idd get it from the supplier trade or to send a coupon to the factory.
yes we get it for free only type db 1 not type db 2 they have to pay for it.

and the strips we can use at one quartor is 250.

the contour you can use it with the paradigm pump is it?

gr ria

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good to hear. Meters should have been free for all Diabetics for many years. You mean that you get 250 strips for 3 months??

I guess you can use the Contour with a pump. It's not attached though. My Friend is a Type 2 and doesn't use a pump.

I'm Glad that your Dr. knows about your hypounawareness. When are you going back on your pump Ria? Or are you on it now? That's supposed to help keep the sugars in a better range. Good that you are checking your sugars often during your driving times.

As far as your stomach, did your Dr. diagnose you with Gastroparisis? Many People have that from Diabetes and even some young non-Diabetics. When it gets worse the vomiting and stomach pain is supposed to be Bad. I sure don't look forward to any of these complications. I hope that you don't have that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good to hear. Meters should have been free for all Diabetics for many years. You mean that you get 250 strips for 3 months??

I guess you can use the Contour with a pump. It's not attached though. My Friend is a Type 2 and doesn't use a pump.

I'm Glad that your Dr. knows about your hypounawareness. When are you going back on your pump Ria? Or are you on it now? That's supposed to help keep the sugars in a better range. Good that you are checking your sugars often during your driving times.

the "diabetes nurse" give a authorization to my supplier, so i may use 4000 strips each year, thats 400 each 3 months.

we hope the dr and i that we soon maybe nex week ill have to go to him (21 of august) and get my pump back.

how many may use you each month or 3 month.
normal we have idd 250 each 3 month, but some dr give a different authorization most people with a pump and children.

gr ria

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Ria: :)

I asked my Dr. for 300 strips a month which he was Fine with since he knows intense therapy is the Best for Diabetics.

I'm not sure about how many times Children should test but over here, anyone on a pump is supposed to test about 12 times a day. I knew of a 10 year old Boy in the U.S. who was diagnosed and tested himself about 21 times a day. :eek: His poor fingers.

I'm so Glad to hear that you will be going back on your pump soon. :) I know that you've missed it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hoi terry,

Here in Dutch it lies how frequently you per day spout what you compensates for gets. If you 4x daags spout insulin 400 teststrips per trimester get you compensated for, could you more necessary have than an extra authorisation of the doctor for the insurance is frequently enough. People who tablets swallow get unfortunately no strips compensated for.

i have used this year 1750 strips now i must ask my dr for a new authorisation tomorrow.

in belgium at our newburs.
they get enough strips to measure 4x per day; I myself must buy the rest. According to my conventiepas I get 1450 teststrips per year.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am a university researcher investigating the different types of glucometers available in the market and how well they satisfy patient needs.
Firstly I?d like to get some of your opinions on the glucometers you use and what factors influenced your choice?
Firstly thank you for getting a survey done for the BG meters. I have two as one is the Advantage from Accu=Chek and the lance that you get with these are good but they go deep in the finger so the amount of blood is quite big and the wait of 20 sec is a great leap from 2 minutes!! and that's from the Boinriger machine. The latest BG meter is the Proformer also from Accu-Chek. I like the faster result time of 5 seconds but as this fast result is it accurate? also the ability to test in better temperature extremes and check the test strip before blood can be drawn up. The lance is a good one as it don't go too deep and a small drop of blood is only needed.
I would like to see a more constant monitor as we see that BG's can change from minute to minute. :D

Secondly, if you had the opportunity to influence the design of future glucometers that would be released into the market:
? What kind of features would you like them to have that they don?t currently possess?
The size is getting nice and small and that a plus and memory is getting bigger too. I would like to see some documentation on each test like insulin doses and type or like a note on acivity as this will have some baring to the test as this can be done like a keypad that you see on mobile phones these days. ;)

? What extra information on blood glucose monitoring do you want your glucometers to provide?
Perhaps a alarm to say it's time for a test or insulin shot. ;) A back light so can test in pitch darkness. :D I don't want much do I. :D

Your contribution would be very valuable. I would also be willing to show you the results obtained from the survey I?m carrying out on current glucometers.
Yeah I would like to see what the out come would be and hope the manufactures are reading this!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have used several meters before. Currently, I'm hooked on the Terumo glucose meter Fine Touch. I really like it, although I think the design could have been more modern. The designers need more women on their team :D
I would really like my meter to light up when I want him to. Aspecially in the middle of the night, I do not want to turn on the night light, because I do not want to wake my husband measuring my BG.

Standard deviation would be great to have on the glucose meter. What a great idea Richard!

I transfer all my readings into my pump (by hand) to find out what my averages are. So indeed, it would be nice to be able to read the averages on the meter itself. 7-14-30-45 days would be the best for me.

The thing I like about my Terumo meter, is the fact that all tips (they call them tips, because they don't even look like strips) are packed seperately. I think that is very clean to work with. As Richard mentioned above, I also tended to drop my box of strips, spilling them all over the floor.

What I don't like about my meter, is that I need to turn it on before I can read my BG. If you forget to turn it on, and you already put blood on the tip, it's wasted...And that's a shame.
I would like my meter to be flatter and coloured. The one I have now is rather dull and antique looking...
The main purpose: measuring my BG, is really good here. Accurate and quick.

I'm on a pump and I test 6-8 a day. I get 5 free strips a day. The rest we need to pay for.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I am using the Free Style Lite meter and it has 7, 14 and 30 day averaging. I wish we could delete numbers that were bogus. If I forget to wash ny hands and have a high number then that raises all my averages. If I have a high and think it is wrong and test again and it is still high then both of those high numbers are included in my averaging. All my averages are higher than they should be. Deleting specific numbers would correct this problem. The companies ccould build this feature into the programming but I doubt we will ever see it.

·
Banned
36 Posts

Thanks.
I've looked at most of the meters on the market. Most are too simple or too complex. The ones that aren't too large are too limited in capability. The ones with more sophisticated capabilities have log displays that are too difficult to read.

I've been using Lifescan meters, the Ultra Profile most recently for its insulin logging capability, because my insurance covered them. I test 4-5x per day for MDI. Now that I have to pay for strips, at $1 USD per test, they are too expensive for me to continue.

My next meter needs only 5 essential features: be easy to read in low light, have a USB "B" download port, record 300+ glucose readings, use strips that cost less than 0.30 USD, be self-coding.

I think that any new meter design should have the same essential features plus extend the number of readings to 500, hold readings through a 5 minute battery change, be static discharge resistant to 5000V, use a readily available battery, record 5000 BG tests on one battery, be compact enough that it could be safely carried in a man's front pants pocket along with autolance, test strips, insulin, 3 syringes and 5 lances. The display should be black characters on a bright background, orange OLED or something similar. The meters software should have capabilities similar to those of the OneTouch and CleverCheck meters.

A desireable enhancement would be a meter that could house all the auxilliary items listed above internally without need for an external case.

My idea of an ideal meter would add the capability of configuring it to record 3 user-specified numeric or picklist items in combination with a BG reading, without need for exiting to a menu, and for it to remember the last entries for use as defaults.

Since they can be added to firmware at little cost, I wouldn't object to a multi-alarm or a voice prompt function, provided that thessa could be disabled and didn't interfere with the primary use of the meter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry i wasn't able to add the link in the previous post.

Please type in: Evaluation of the state-of-the-art in informatics in glucometers into google and you should be able to see it.

Regards

1 - 20 of 27 Posts