The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's happened to me a couple of times. Going back home was not an option, but mostly because I need the money :)

There is a refrigerator at work where I could keep some insulin in a bag with a note maybe. Not sure I want to get into any discussions about it. Don't want to risk getting the stuff thrown out the next time the smell in the fridge gets overpowering.

Does anyone have a good way of dealing with this situation, or preparing in advance? My memory crashed a few years after smoking a lot of leafy green stuff. The only thing I have to remember now is that I am going to forget. So organize something to prepare for that.

What I did was simple. Just didn't eat until I got home. Fortunately I heard a really nice positive spin on hungry. My favorite speaker mentioned that if he hasn't felt hungry for a few days, he doesn't like to eat until he is feeling hungry.

It took a few years after I heard it before I understood that this was really good information. When you are hungry, your body is obviously ready for food. It even tastes better.

So I didn't mind at all getting a little hungry, then bicycling home (not a long ride) and attacking the stuff in the fridge. (a surprise attack, the stuff didn't have a chance)

I'm just not sure I want to do it often.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It's happened to me a couple of times. Going back home was not an option, but mostly because I need the money :)

There is a refrigerator at work where I could keep some insulin in a bag with a note maybe. Not sure I want to get into any discussions about it. Don't want to risk getting the stuff thrown out the next time the smell in the fridge gets overpowering.

Does anyone have a good way of dealing with this situation, or preparing in advance? My memory crashed a few years after smoking a lot of leafy green stuff. The only thing I have to remember now is that I am going to forget. So organize something to prepare for that.

What I did was simple. Just didn't eat until I got home. Fortunately I heard a really nice positive spin on hungry. My favorite speaker mentioned that if he hasn't felt hungry for a few days, he doesn't like to eat until he is feeling hungry.

It took a few years after I heard it before I understood that this was really good information. When you are hungry, your body is obviously ready for food. It even tastes better.

So I didn't mind at all getting a little hungry, then bicycling home (not a long ride) and attacking the stuff in the fridge. (a surprise attack, the stuff didn't have a chance)

I'm just not sure I want to do it often.
insulin that you are currently using does not have to be kept refrigerated. I get my insulin in 3 month supplies, so I have a lot of insulin vials. I keep my reserve insulin refrigerated. Once I open a vial to use I keep it at room temperature until I finish it. Same with pens. The one you are actively using is perfectly fine to keep at room temperature. As long as you arent working outside in high heat, you should be fine to just toss it in your bag. I carry my insulin and an extra pump set with me everywhere I go.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I carry my insulin and an extra pump set with me everywhere I go.
You're well organized. I've known a couple of people who couldn't even remember to take their keys with them when they left the house.

insulin that you are currently using does not have to be kept refrigerated.
I understand that it is good at room temperature for a month. Read that quite a few years ago, so maybe for longer now. Once I have a syringe loaded I do keep it at room temp, but that's just for about 5 days max.

I do want to keep the room temp part down to a minimum. The insulin will be deteriorating a little more rapidly, even if it doesn't cross the line when you can say it isn't good any more.

That does give me an idea. I could keep just a preloaded syringe there. I could take a another one about once a week and just rotate it with whatever is left in the one at work. At least I'd have to forget 2 parts of my routine to run out of insulin. (but that is possible too)

Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I keep my current vial in the bathroom next to the toothpaste. I take it twice a day and that helps me remember. I also keep one in my briefcase which I rotate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts