The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're fine in South Georgia... It's cloudy but predicted to reach 70 today. I'm a little worried about ya'll... Let us know how your doing in your neck of the woods....

bugg:)a little concerned

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I live in the Midwest and they are telling us now that the storm will be hitting our area full force sometime this afternoon/evening. We may get in excess of 12 inches of snow - up to 18 inches of snow. I hope the 'forecast' is wrong, although I am not wishing it on anyone else either.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My area (Syracuse, NY) is predicted to get 14-18 inches of snow over the next two days. We are used to it, so no big deal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
19 inches of snow would wipe South Georgia of the map.... forever ...:eek:

bugg:)not snowbound

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am in San Antonio Texas and it is even freezing here! Not expected to get out of the 30's for a couple of days and may be looking at some light snow later *sigh*...I was in shorts and sandals uyesterday! This is *so* not right!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
We are expecting about 5-6 inches by tonight and it is around 5DEG outside. I barely made it to work and the wind is blowing gusts of 40 to 50 miles an hour. The roads were clear though so that's a good thing.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So far everything they've been forecasting is coming at us right on time (wouldn't ya know!), so I expect the bottom to drop off the thermometer any minute . . . looking for -6° by tomorrow. We're used to it too, and just thankful for being retired & don't have to go out in it. When I opened the door to let the dog out this morning, he changed his mind & decided he wasn't going out in it either! Uh oh!

Hey Bugg? Didn't Atlanta have snow last month? Our grandson had gone scuba diving in Puerto Rico during New Years holiday, and was delayed several days coming back because Atlanta was shut down.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I talked to my girlfriend this morning. She is in Dallas for school and they had to cancel classes because of the weather. This is a wide reaching storm system. Shanny, speaking of Atlanta, I posted a few weeks ago that my gf was stuck in Columbus because they couldn't get the plane to Atlanta and then to Wichita. It has been a very strange winter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We are just expecting a big ice storm here in Maryland but my old friends in Chicago are looking at maybe the biggest storm in recorded history there. There are many things I miss about living there, this is not one of them!

The only negative about the icestorm is that the grand-nephews are all at home since school was cancelled. Having 6 yr, 5yr and 2 yr olds home isn't always great for working from home. When the 7-month grandniece starts walking, then there will be 4 of them running around making noise.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Atlanta got snowed in big time... They weren't prepared and had a mess. We even got a flak or two... :D

bugg:)delighted to be from South Georgia...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
So far we only have about 6 inches but the sleet has just started. The storm warnings are up until tomorrow night. I was snow blowing earlier and turned it off for awhile and then went back and the key is frozen in the lock. So much for that, I had to get out the shovel and do a real aerobic workout. Hopefully my bgs will like that. My 25 year old is supposed to be moving into a new house tomorroe. I told him maybe he should hold off on the U-haul a day or two. Moving in during a Blizzard is no fun.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Columbus is a mess. Every tree branch and electrical wires are all covered in ice. They have shut down all the schools and there are a lot of private places being shut down, church, Weight Watcher meetings. We were supposed to have snow yesterday and there was none. I hope the snow misses Columbus, Ohio. I can't stand winter in Ohio. :(

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The weather in northern IL is not good. The worst of the blizzard came late yesterday and throughout the night ... and into today. The winds are gusting up to 45-60 mph making travel difficult. Earlier this morning I watched a semi truck driver get stuck on a side road. The drift he hit was way over the grill work on the front of his truck. Two monstrous snow plows are trying to dig him out and so far he hasn't made it. I feel sorry for him.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think it finally moved on past us . . . the clouds here are beginning to break up enough to see a little patch of blue sky here and there. Not much to report because we just hunker down & wait it out, but the snow plow came by this morning, so maybe we'll see the mail carrier after while. Schools etc., are still closed, which is good - makes it easier for the road crews to do their work & get all the back roads open. Although a road grader isn't the best piece of equipment for plowing deep snow, the county put chains on all their graders & are sending those out right along with the plows to get roads clear as quickly as possible.

And I gotta tell ya, the sunshine glaring off all this snow is literally blinding! And it's reflecting through my kitchen window all the way back into my "cave" of a living room where I'm presently seated in my recliner chair . . . where'd I put my my sunglasses??!!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was out for the 4th time chopping ice under the snow. I finally got it chopped enough I could use the snow blower on some of it. Now only a little ice is left. As I was finishing , all of a sudden the snow stopped and the sun came out. The sky is as blue as ever and the snow is now glistening. Looks like a Christmas Card. I think I am getting too old for winter.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Glad to hear most folks are safe and especially I'm glad the storm has moved out of here. A little bit south of us had winds clocked at 77 mph last night. We got over 15 inches of snow and in places in our yard the drifts are way over 6 feet high. My DH is shoveling the driveway in stages - work 30 minutes, rest 30 minutes. Haven't seen any snow plows on our road yet, but they will make it soon. Here they are working in 12 hour shifts to clear the roads.

O

·
0 Posts
geez sounds like storms all round... hope you are all doing Ok.
I'm in a hot climate right now as it's middle of summer here. But we have cyclone season happening and quite a huge amount of activity with that over the last 2 weeks. QLD just got hit last night with biggest cyclone (hurricane) in Australian history and it covered a massive area of northern QLD. Media is now checking out whether or not people are Ok and what damage was done. But reports so far is that it was worse than Cyclone Larry which hit 5 years ago there. The eye of the cyclone was 5 times bigger than Larry. Currently the cyclone has been downgraded to a Category 2 which is a relief to hear (yeah the poor people still have a cyclone happening)... it was a Category 5 when it hit land at midnight and before it got to the coast it was 350kph winds.... then went down to 285kph... but that's dangerous.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We're lucky in Alberta currently. The storm is gone, and the chinook has blown in. -32 the other night, +6 right now. The joy of living at the base of the mountains...

It's always crazy when it goes from -32 to +6 in 24 hours... (roughly -24F to 44F for you American folks...)

Weather here is crazy. I've seen it be anywhere from -48 to +20 degrees in the middle of winter... (-54F to 68F for those using Fahrenheit...). One January our lawn got very confused and starting sprouting green grass... Two days later it was -30 again.

The only thing constant about the weather here is change. And snow. It falls, it melts, it falls, it melts... quite the cycle.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oh the chinooks are amazing & wonderful! We lived in the Colorado foothills for 20+ years and it's just like you say, Beefy . . . the chinooks start breezing through and the snow just disappears overnight!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Oh the chinooks are amazing & wonderful! We lived in the Colorado foothills for 20+ years and it's just like you say, Beefy . . . the chinooks start breezing through and the snow just disappears overnight!
We sure could use some of that "snow just disappears overnight" stuff here :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts