The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started having diabetes symptoms and heard that exercise can lower blood sugar levels quickly and keep them lower over the long term.

Is there a formula or some sort of general rule on how much exercise it takes to lower blood sugar? In other words, if I want to lower my sugar by 50 points do I need to jog for 30 minutes? an hour?

I realize the answer probably changes dramatically depending upon body weight, how high the blood sugar is, and a host of other factors but I still think it would be helpful to have a general idea of how much exercise it takes to bring blood sugar down to safer levels.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Very good question, but I'm not sure anyone can answer that. I think it is very individual and you'll just have to experiment by trial and error. All I've heard is diabetics should exercise at least 30 minutes a day. As for how much exercise lowers a glucose by how many points, I don't really know.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Ruby is correct, it will vary from one person to another. It varies for me depending on how many carbs I have eaten. You should eat a low carb diet. That will help you lower your blood sugar just as much as exercising. I eat 130 carbs per day. I used tp eat much more. Cutting my carb intake caused me to lose 26 pounds. I have a friend who eats only 80 carbs per day and walks 5 miles per day. He has wonderful control. I walk one hour per day in good weather and use my treadmill at other times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts