The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exercise - why bother? Specifically, why should diabetics bother?

From Reversing Diabetes by Julian Whitaker, MD, New York and Boston: Wellness Central, 2001.

Page 6:
Insulin is not necessary for glucose to enter the cells of the brain or the kidneys. Red blood cells are also able to utilize sugar without the assistance of insulin. Furthermore, when you are exercising, the muscle cells can extract glucose from the blood without insulin.

Pages 146-147:
There is a new theory explaining how exercise provides a stimulus similar to insulin at the cellular level, and it is growing in acceptance. As you may recall from our discussion of insulin resistance in chapter 2, glucose is ushered into the cell by special proteins called GLUT-4 transporters. Insulin stimulates GLUT-4 transporters to rise to the surface of the cell and take glucose inside. Well, exercise appears to do the same thing. Like insulin, it causes GLUT-4 transporters to rise to the surface of the cellular membrane, where they can shuttle circulating glucose into the cell.

Although we do not completely understand the unique effects of exercise on blood glucose metabolism, one ting is certain: Exercise is a powerful tool to clear the blood of glucose and control diabetes....It has been repeatedly demonstrated that exercising after eating, when blood glucose levels are at their highest, lowers blood sugar. Moreover, exercising after breakfast appears to make physical activity later in the day, after lunch and dinner, even more powerful in keeping the blood sugar under control.

Page 148:
Regular exercise increases the number of GLUT-4 transporters, the proteins that rise to the surface and carry glucose into the cells. This is a dose-dependent relationship: The more you exercise, the more GLUT-4 transporters your body will make. So the benefits of exercise last long after you've taken off your walking shoes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Where would I be if it would not be for exercise? Within two months after being diagnosed as diabetic I was able to get totally off all insulin and I attribute that to exercise. Yes eating right helped I am sure but I think the exercise was key.

·
Registered
165 Posts
not to mention exercising helps me manage the stress of this as well. gotta love endorphins

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have exercised most of my life, even way before diabetes. When I first started to test bg, I noticed when I exercised bgs would spike. My doc told me exercise was so important to general health so even with spiking he said to continue. Now that I have got fastings close to 100 or below I notice I don't spike anymore. Even when weather is below 20, I try to go out and walk.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have exercised most of my life, even way before diabetes. When I first started to test bg, I noticed when I exercised bgs would spike. My doc told me exercise was so important to general health so even with spiking he said to continue. Now that I have got fastings close to 100 or below I notice I don't spike anymore. Even when weather is below 20, I try to go out and walk.
Yeppers, same experience. Work out BS raises. But with the help of others here I have controlled the spikes even with working out.

Read this whole thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts