The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'all consider exercise? Riding a bike, going to the gym, lifting weights?

Remember I live on a 200+ acre working farm. My exercise is hauling 2 5 gal buckets (twice a day) of feed to replacement heifers, hauling 50 lb bags of minerals to the herd. I do a lot of walking between the house and the guinea fowl coop (feeding & watering), I have numerous gates I have to open & close so that getting off the ATV twice for each gate opened & closed. Weed eating & mowing around 6 areas of yard.

I also metal detect so I walking & swinging a 2.5 lb detector, if I have a target I'm stooping over to dig it up, plus I belong to Find A Grave, so I'm walking cemeteries taking photos of headstones.

Heck, it's 44 steps from my computer to the kitchen.

My diabetes educator says I get plenty of exercise. Believe me it's all work, stooping, scooping, digging, lifting, loading, carrying + many more too numerous to list everything. It simply wears me out when the granddaughters are spending the night. LOL!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
(This is an auspicious moment . . . I'm about to actually AGREE with a diabetes educator! :D :D :D)

Yes, my friend, I think you're getting PLENTY of exercise! ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow sounds active. What is the Find a grace about? Sounds interesting.

For me I take the dog for a mile or two walk each morning and swim on the 2/3 mornings I'm in work late, try to get at least two runs in and would line to try and fit a weights session in somewhere too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My advise is whatever floats your boat. A few times a week I try to take a long walk but most days I just do housework, yardwork. I am in the midst of Spring Housecleaning, so that is my exercise. The important thing is your bgs. Are they in a good range. I am an avid tennis player and once a week I meet with my old lady friends and we play very competitive tennis for two hours. Of course it takes me 24 hours to recouperate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(newbie) what is diabetes educator? For me I just was dx'd a week ago and started low carb and gym the next day- so far 20 min of cardio 2 x's a day and 20 of circuit training 3 x's a wk. It's a start :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
(newbie) what is diabetes educator? For me I just was dx'd a week ago and started low carb and gym the next day- so far 20 min of cardio 2 x's a day and 20 of circuit training 3 x's a wk. It's a start :)
Whitty1, My PCP's nurse arranged the classes for me, my insurance handled everything else. I met with the dietitian (Virginia) and CDE (Debbie) for 2 hours, I learn how to use my meter, plus many more things. I was loaded down with books, pamphlets, measuring cups/spoons, a plate that has the portions labeled, diet plan, "The Calorie King". They're employed by our local hospital, and both are just a phone call away on questions that may arise that I want answers to.

A certified diabetes educator (CDE) is a health care professional who is specialized and certified to teach people with diabetes how to manage their condition.

The CDE is an invaluable asset to those who need to learn the tools and skills necessary to control their blood sugar and avoid long-term complications due to hyperglycemia. Unlike an endocrinologist, the CDE can spend as much time with a newly diagnosed person as is needed both for educational purposes and emotional support.

Typically the CDE is also a nurse, dietitian, pharmacist, or social worker who has further specialized in diabetes education and care management. Formal education and years of practical experience are required, in addition to a formal examination, before a diabetes educator is certified. In the US, certification is awarded by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators.

·
Registered
28 Posts
as a personal trainer/nutritionist....anything that keeps your heart rate elevated for a prolonged amount of time is exercise...soooo..if you do all of this daily, then you're accustomed to it. therefore it may be considered maintenance exercise, not anything that would take you to an elevated level of fitness. also, any type of action is better than none! kudos to you MimiMC ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts