The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any avid exercisers out there? What is the best time of day to exercise? I should rephrase that, I don't have time till about 730pm to 8pm to exercise, is that too late? I go to bed at 10pm to 1030pm.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That is my best time for exercise - I seem to have the best staying power then :p

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a problem falling asleep?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Not often - when I do it tends to be down to fluctuating hormones. My sleep patterns vary terribly across a month and I am supposedly menopausal, lol!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Having your exercise at night is only a problem if it prevents sleeping.

There are many 'theories' as to which time of day is best to exercise - I think it's better simply TO exercise than to worry about when. Also, many find that although ONE person may do their best by exercising, say in the morning, it's not the best for a second person. We're all so different in regards to our metabolisms...

I'd rather see someone exercise regularly in the evening then exercise occasionally in the morning, even if they might burn more fat in the morning...

If you've no problems sleeping when exercising in the evening - then go for it. If you do have problems, try some melatonin as a supplement just before bed.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been getting lazy and using excuses with myself. Too tired in the morning, too late at night, blah blah blah! I just have to do it and stop using excuses. I've lost 55lbs since March with minimal exercise too, mainly diet. What is worse case then, if I can't sleep, change it up, right?

Appreciate the answers Clea and beefy.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've been getting lazy and using excuses with myself. Too tired in the morning, too late at night, blah blah blah! I just have to do it and stop using excuses. I've lost 55lbs since March with minimal exercise too, mainly diet. What is worse case then, if I can't sleep, change it up, right?

Appreciate the answers Clea and beefy.
If you just can't sleep when exercising in the evening, even when trying melatonin, meditation, etc., etc... AND if you just can't find a 'block' of time somewhere else in your day...

THEN you MAKE a few SMALLER blocks of time available. There is enough evidence to show that TWO 20 minute walks is as good for you as ONE 40 minute walk, for example. If that's what you can make room for in your schedule, then that's what you do.

I believe it's easiest to remember if you can schedule it in one block of time daily - but not everybody has that luxury.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do think you have to squeeze exercise in whenever you can. You may want to eat a lighter dinner because exercising on a full stomach is not pleasant. I cannot do super intense exercise at night because it does keep me up at night.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do exercise I guess, every night after dinner we pack the kids ups and walk the dog, we go about 20-30 minute walks. But I want a little more intensity. I could free up time at lunch at work and go for a walk, that is feasible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts