Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My bg numbers are quite good (average of 5.3 approx) in the past year, with the occasional highs and lesser lows. Nonetheless, i do not have as much energy as i used to pre-diabetes. Possibly i do not exercise enough. How much should i exercise and do you think that will give me more energy?

3 x 850 Metformin over three meals
Glyclazide (min. dose)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
How much you should exercise depends on how much you are able and willing to do. Some of us exercise excessively and others not so much. You could do some experimenting to find out what works for you. I can't guarantee it will give you more energy, but it works for me.

When eating low carb, if you don't eat enough fat, that can cause your energy level to go down.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just go out and do as much as you can within reason. With time you will find a happy median. Do a lot of testing before, during and after. Watch for lows and highs you may find you need to take carbs while exercising.

I know of two people now that have gotten off all meds from exercise. Not saying that you will but I think you would be able to at least cut.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When it comes to exercise you need to start slow and gradually build up. I try to do 1-2 hours most days. If I am doing weights I always take a day off in between workouts and do a light walking workout the next day. I take 2550 mg of metformin too, but take a B 12 supplement. Metformin often depletes B 12. I also take a multi vitamin, calcium, vit D and Co Q10. How is your diet? I noticed when I gave up processed food I found myself not getting enough sodium so I have to add salt . Also make sure you are getting enough protein and fat. I carry nuts, cheese sticks and low carb energy bars with me, in case I start to feel a little weak. I find I need to eat every 3-4 hours.

Reactions: Tamagno

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exercise should be worked into. If you haven't been doing much of it start off slow and do 5 to 10 minutes of something, like a walk.

Then push yourself a little farther and longer each week until you can do 30 mins or more at a time.

I found a website that gives some advice on how to get started.

Exercise and Diabetes

Remember to have fun or you won't want to continue, so change it up a bit and bring a friend or two along.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Once I got my diet figured out (not necessarily the same thing as getting good BG) my energy levels really went up. The biggest factor for me was getting enough fat. I was previously doing low-fat and low-carb for a while and it sure did wipe me out. Now I do moderate-fat / low-carb.

I have been enjoying "Slow Burn" weight lifting. You do it 30 minutes 1-3x a week depending on your goals. I get a good workout (that I can feel the next day) but it's short and doesn't exhaust me or screw up my BG like running or tennis.

I've been doing it for about 2 months now and have already seen such an increase in strength that I need heavier weights. I'm cheap though and am just buying bigger cans of tomatoes and beans and using them as weights. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
i do not have as much energy as i used to pre-diabetes. Possibly i do not exercise enough. How much should i exercise and do you think that will give me more energy?
You need fuel for energy. Low energy means you are not eating enough or something is blocking your fuel stores from being used. Exercising, btw, can help lower your insulin resistence and free up fat stores, so yes, exercising can help. The likely problem is you are not eating enough fat, as Daytona found out. Low carb and high fat consumption should result in low insulin and free flowing energy. If not, then see your doctor about possible thyroid issues.

Reactions: Tamagno
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.