The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm still trying to get good control over my bg's and have been doing LCHF for about a month now. I find that when I exercise for an hour using run/jogging on treadmill for 30min followed by weights, that my bg's spike big time! It scared the crap out of me when I first saw this. After an hour or two it drops down to better than pre-exercise levels. In contrast, 30min fast walk or mix jog/walk will drop my levels straight away.

My first question is: has anyone else seen this? The second question is: can one avoid the spike by eating/drinking something before/during/after work out? My guess is that the extra epinephrine released during the longer/slightly-more-intense workout is ramping up my gluconeogenesis, but if this is true, then I'm not sure how to deal with it, except to exercise less :confused:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've experienced the exact same phenomenom when I first started to test. I routinely would do 2 back to back classes at the gym followed by a weight workout. I assumed I would be lower with all that exercise but I would see a 20-80 point jump. It would come down within several hours, though. So I stopped testing immediately after exercise. I do try to eat a 10-15 carb snack before a long workout to fuel my workout. The way it was explained to me was that when you exercise your body produces stress hormones. These stress hormones then signal liver to convert stored glycogen back into glucose and the liver dumps it in our system. I have actually cut back on some of my long workouts and try to do shorter workouts several times a day.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I experience the same problem. Makes me crazy! I'm exercising, doing what is good for me, yet my body causes a spike from it! Yikes! It is hard for me to do more than one workout a day since I work, so I usually hit the gym in the evening. I do Zumba, and the classes are from 45 minutes to one hour. It is hard to split that up since they are instructor led classes. I'm not real big on doing machines either...I prefer group active exercise. What to do?

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I have had the same problem. I used to run and play tennis but wasn't able to get a handle on the blood sugar spikes. For me it was worse than just a spike though. I would go up to 180+ for the first few hours then then go down to 45. Eating something before/after didn't make a difference. I would feel so horrible that all I could do was lie in bed for up to 6 hours after waiting until I felt normal again.

I have since stumbled upon HIT (high intensity training). You lift heavy weights for a short period of time. I get a great workout and my blood sugar doesn't spike at all, or rebound too low. I have been doing this for 20 minutes 2x a week since September and have been quite happy with my results.

If you are interested, two good books on HIT are Slow Burn Fitness and Body by Science.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Darbo,

It is quite common to have elevated BGs after exercise, especially for T2s. I've found a way around it by changing my meal timings to suit my exercising. What I do is eat, wait 45-60 mins, then workout. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I play tennis it is always 3 sets so I play for at least 2 hours. I find if I eat a snack before and bring a small snack to eat inbetween sets my bg doesn't spike as much. High impact classes like Kickboxing or Zumba tend to spike me more than a weight lifting class. Since exercise is so good and the benefits help you so much, I wouldn't worry about the spike. Usually my bgs later in the day are a lot lower and bgs the next morning are lower, which is the important thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts