The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do some of you here hold back on testing due to the expense? I am only expected to test per my doctor every Thursday AM Fasting and Thursday PM before dinner. But I am doing more testing as of late and like yesterday I tested four times. But the test strips are approximately a buck a piece and I can see it adding up quite fast. Especially for those of you that test three times a day. My insurance it seems like every time I go in for new strips is paying less and less and if I don't buy the right quantity I don't get any help. It just seems every time I pick up the tester I pause for a bit and think, do I really need to do this? And to make it worse the markup on them strips is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When I got my testing supplies the other day the guy at the pharmacy told me (in whispered tones, probably so his mgr couldn't hear) that the strips do go on sale, but they (pharmacies) never advertise it. He advised me to call around to see who had the best price and when, and that it's probably worth it to buy larger quantities during those times.

If your insurance company has a limit on quantity, I guess that advice might not help you...

I'm probably very lucky in that (after insurance) my meter, 100 strips and 100 lancets only cost me $18.16 out-of-pocket.

The downside is I'm currently testing 7+ times a day to figure things out. That will be reduced to 4 soon enough though. (I test fasting, one and two hours after meals. Looks like 1hr after meals is my peak BG readings so far, anyway.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
your doc wants you to test twice a week? and doesn't your doc only see 1 or 2 a year (or am I confusing you w/ someone else? sorry if I am) I must have really good insurance or very conservative doc cause I test 5-7 times a day. unless it's a low I can't tell how my BG is by feel I could feel fine and be 110 or 310. how are you supposed to manage your sugars/meds by guessing what your BG is?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Alberta, it does reach a point where you can designate certain days for testing foods or meals, and then cut back on testing on other, "I-know-what-this menu-will-do-to -me" days.

Meanwhile, consider the more frequent testing a sound investment in your health!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your doc wants you to test twice a week? and doesn't your doc only see 1 or 2 a year (or am I confusing you w/ someone else? sorry if I am) I must have really good insurance or very conservative doc cause I test 5-7 times a day. unless it's a low I can't tell how my BG is by feel I could feel fine and be 110 or 310. how are you supposed to manage your sugars/meds by guessing what your BG is?

You probably have it right. The Dr. told me to pick a day do a morning Fasting and a evening before dinner on the same day. Also does not think I need to come in more than twice a year unless something changes. Keep in mind I am not on any insulin or any other medicine what so ever. I am controlling everything by exercise and eating right. I am doing the additional testing mostly in part to see what is happening with the exercising that I am doing.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The cheapie ReliOn meters/strips have been my saving grace because their strips are half the price of other brands. I was uninsured at the time of my diagnosis, so that's the route I took. Since aging into Medicare, I haven't even asked doc for a strips prescription, because Medicare pays for so few strips for NID patients - not worth the hassle/stress for me. I don't test as much as before, but when I need to test, I'm gonna test!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Do some of you here hold back on testing due to the expense? I am only expected to test per my doctor every Thursday AM Fasting and Thursday PM before dinner. But I am doing more testing as of late and like yesterday I tested four times. But the test strips are approximately a buck a piece and I can see it adding up quite fast. Especially for those of you that test three times a day. My insurance it seems like every time I go in for new strips is paying less and less and if I don't buy the right quantity I don't get any help. It just seems every time I pick up the tester I pause for a bit and think, do I really need to do this? And to make it worse the markup on them strips is ridiculous.
I stopped testing and treating in 2006, I was not employed and had no insurance. I was so poor that I had to sell my gold and diamond jewelry just to buy some test strips. My blood glucose wouldn't even register, it just read "hi". The next day I went to the ER and my blood glucose was 438. I didn't know that help was out there, you just need to call around. I finally found a job in 2009 and got insurance and I get help testing 4 times per day since I take insulin. I buy extra strips out of pocket because there are days when I need to test more. If you just want some extra strips, Walmart sells their brand for cheap and there are many places on the internet that sell strips for cheap, try Diabetic Supplies Online | Diabetes Testing Supplies & Products | American Diabetes Wholesale. I think it is a good idea to test at least once a day. If I had to pick a time to test, I would test fasting. Diabetes is one of the most expensive diseases to treat.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
To my knowledge, insurance cannot put a cap on how many test strips you can have. They have to cover whatever it is that your doctor prescribes. I test anywhere from 6-10 times a day. The insurance has never given me grief about paying for my testing supplies. Ask your doctor to increase your prescribed amount. In the meantime, I know Walmart has a pretty inexpensive monitor and test strips that many people swear by.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Everyone's insurance is different. My doctor wrote my prescription for 3 times a day but until I meet a $6000 deductible my insurance doesn't kick in. So since I never have met my deductible in 5 years, I pay 100% of my strips, labs, drugs and doctor visits. Even after I hit the deductible I still have to pay 20% until we hit $10,000. The joys of buying individual insurance. Oh by the way, our premiums are over $1000 a month for this great insurance. But I feel testing is very important to my health and keeping my bg close to 100. So I find the cheapest place to buy strips, usually at Amazon or Healthwarehouse or some of the other online pharmacies. For Bayer Contour strips I usually pay around $50 for 100 strips, that is 60% cheaper than our local pharmacy through my insurance which charges about $118 a box of 100. So it costs me $1.50 - $2.00 a day for testing. That is a small price to stay healthey. The price of a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Luckily I am on my mom's insurance and my employer covers any medical expenses through a reimbursment program up to $3,000 a year. It has been a life saver. I hav e a script for 6-8 times per day. It was increased because the 4-6 script wasn't lasting me a month like the insurance company said it should. I get twice as much supplies now but my out-of-pocket costs remained the same. I think with insulin, strips, lancets and needles I would be paying about $120 a month. I do know that I have it really good.
If you have insurance, I would just tell your doctor (much like I did) to increase the script. If he asks why, tell him exactly why and that it is your health and if you want to test more often than he wants, that shouldn't be his concern.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I get 200 strips a month for $18.00... Thank god dh is in the navy and the insurance is excellent. Once he retires in 5.5 years it will cost us more but hopefully he'll be working for a good company with good insurance.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stopped testing and treating in 2006, I was not employed and had no insurance. I was so poor that I had to sell my gold and diamond jewelry just to buy some test strips. My blood glucose wouldn't even register, it just read "hi". The next day I went to the ER and my blood glucose was 438. I didn't know that help was out there,
I am fine and have the money. It just seems that they are expensive and find myself thinking twice about testing but I always test when I start to.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am fine and have the money. It just seems that they are expensive and find myself thinking twice about testing but I always test when I start to.
I hate to say this, Murph.....test strips fit in the necessary category for diabetes. Pre-diabetes, full blown diabetes--whatever...what you find out now could really benefit you in the future. My first doctor who diagnosed me told me to test twice a week and I remember I could get 200 test strips every month for free through my insurance, I think I only tested twice a week and then to one time per week and then probably never at times. When I started having headaches and blurry vision, I tested and was in the high 300's and needed to start taking insulin. My blood sugar was going high and I didn't realize it. I am just thinking back to that time and wish I had been testing everyday. But you can't turn back time. I guess when you start to think twice about testing more than your doctor told you think about how very easy it is to lose your eyesight because of diabetes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I really wonder where our doctors get that 2x a week testing number for Type 2's. They would rather pump of full of unecessary meds and insulin rather than making us accountable for our own bg. I found once I started to test 5 or 6 times a day, I found all sorts of things about my diabetic body. I found what portions of carbs spiked me over 140. I can still eat carbs , but need to keep it around 15 per meal to avoid a spike. I also found that going for more than 4-5 hours without eatitng would elicit a liver dump. So now I strategically snack if meals are going to be delayed. I also found by testing before and after exercise that most exercise spikes me initially, but comes down in 2-3 hours. So lots of testing in the beginning I think is a good idea. Once you get bgs more or less stabalised you then can cut back on testing as long as you are sticking to your plan that works.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hate to say this, Murph.....test strips fit in the necessary category for diabetes. Pre-diabetes, full blown diabetes--whatever...what you find out now could really benefit you in the future. My first doctor who diagnosed me told me to test twice a week
When first diagnosed I was told to test at least four times a day. It was not until months after I was off all of the insulin that my Doctor was comfortable with me testing only twice a week.

But reading here and thinking that your all right, I still need to test more to find the foods that effect me the most. On top of the additional testing that I am doing to monitor the effects my exercising I will go back to at least two times a day and maybe even four on the days I work out.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
When first diagnosed I was told to test at least four times a day. It was not until months after I was off all of the insulin that my Doctor was comfortable with me testing only twice a week.

But reading here and thinking that your all right, I still need to test more to find the foods that effect me the most. On top of the additional testing that I am doing to monitor the effects my exercising I will go back to at least two times a day and maybe even four on the days I work out.
Sounds like a good plan and I am happy that you made a good decision IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts