The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this problem -- pens are so efficient to use, that I mix up my pens!!! In the past couple months I have been carrying both pens together, as I now give myself two Levemir shots per day. Before that they were in separate places, so it was harder to mix them up. Even with kids asking me multiple questions at once and fighting ...

I have heard of people using a rubber band as a tactile reminder, and that is one thing I will do to help me recognize which pen is in my hand. Does anyone have any other suggestions? :eek:hwell:

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
What time of day are you doing the Basal, maybe leave that pen where it is handy at a certain time of day other than carrying it with you. Like beside the coffee pot or on the night stand beside your bed.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that'd make sense, Marty ... but I must carry both pens to work -- I use 2U Lev at 8 am, then the novolog at 9 for lunch (yes, I do eat lunch at nine am!). So I carry them together in my purse. I keep them in differnet places in my meter pouch, but that is not enough.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Foxl, I keep mine in two separate colored small containers. This way I know my rapid insulin is in the silver case and the basal is in the purple case. I would suggest you use the rubber band as well on one of the pens; just need to remember which pen you use it on and don't forget! My pens have a different colored barrel as well, so I'm sure to check that when I take my insulin. Fortunately I only take basal at home at night, so that is where it stays. The rapid comes with me everywhere I go, so I carry it in with my meter, lunch, breakfast, snack carry bag. I even take that with me if we are going to be out and about and might need to eat away from home. I always move around prepared. Be careful!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
633 Posts
I switched to pens recently and I don't have a problem as my basil (gray) pen is an inch longer than my bolus (blue) pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine are IDENTICAL other than color ... it's what my insurance covers.

Got the rubber band in place -- over the cap AND body, so I have to move it to take it off. I may use a hair tie instead -- they last longer. Hopefully this'll slow me down enough to think!

·
Registered
633 Posts
foxl said:
Mine are IDENTICAL other than color ... it's what my insurance covers.

Got the rubber band in place -- over the cap AND body, so I have to move it to take it off. I may use a hair tie instead -- they last longer. Hopefully this'll slow me down enough to think!
That's like saying you can't tell the black dog from the white dog because they both have brown eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My lantus and apedra pens are IDENTICAL except for color I have a rubber band around the apedra and still I goofed so I got an aluminum cigar tube and put My apedra in it no mistakes so far :)

Reactions: foxl
1 - 11 of 11 Posts