The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I tested what resistance spuds would do to my BG. I boiled some smallish red potatoes in the skin yesterday and refrigerated overnight.

My lunch was very low carb and high fat - chicken salad with mayo, celery sticks with cream cheese, sliced cold potato (approx. 1/4 cup) spread with margarine, salt and pepper (one of my favorite foods from the past). SF gelatin with sour cream.

81 pre-meal
80 1hr pp
83 2 hr pp
84 3 hr pp

I was going to do 4 hr and 5 hr, but don't see the point in it now. There has been NO CHANGE in BG

Gosh. This is unbelievable.

Now the bad news. Potatoes is on my list of food sensitivities, so will not be able to have them very often - maybe once a month. If I endulge in potatoes too much my head acts like I have a sinus infection.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is terrific. I'm guessing a pivotal part of the issue would be eating them cold as opposed to making something where they need to be warmed. Fine with me - c'mon potato salad!!! :D :D :D

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Thats just great, I'm really glad they worked for you.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is terrific. I'm guessing a pivotal part of the issue would be eating them cold as opposed to making something where they need to be warmed. Fine with me - c'mon potato salad!!! :D :D :D
Was thinking the same thing. Cold it is.

I'm now wondering if resistance starch can be made from sweet potatoes - which I am NOT allergic to!!! I could be just as satisfied with sweet potato salad.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Today I tested what resistance spuds would do to my BG. I boiled some smallish red potatoes in the skin yesterday and refrigerated overnight.

My lunch was very low carb and high fat - chicken salad with mayo, celery sticks with cream cheese, sliced cold potato (approx. 1/4 cup) spread with margarine, salt and pepper (one of my favorite foods from the past). SF gelatin with sour cream.

[/I]
Ok VeeJay, just one question; how were these considered resistance spuds? Also, why did you use margarine and not butter on the potatoes? Just a question. Also, SF gelatin with sour cream? I've never tried that, but it sounds really good. Do you make the gelatin normally (with the hot water and cold water) and just add the sour cream? Or do you put the sour cream on it when it is gel already?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Ok VeeJay, just one question; how were these considered resistance spuds? Also, why did you use margarine and not butter on the potatoes? Just a question. Also, SF gelatin with sour cream? I've never tried that, but it sounds really good. Do you make the gelatin normally (with the hot water and cold water) and just add the sour cream? Or do you put the sour cream on it when it is gel already?
When you cook and then refrigerate certain starches they retrograde to resistant starch, potatoes happen to be one of those starches. Lentils, rice and some beans will also do this. Adding a fat while refrigeration helps the process. I noticed a yellowish waxy look to the potatoes when I did this in the past

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Will anyone care to share more details on the process (time cooking, method cooking, time freezer, etc) and complete list of items that can be used for the conversion to resistance starch and if its based on any scientific study will you care to provide the link. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
MCS said:
When you cook and then refrigerate certain starches they retrograde to resistant starch, potatoes happen to be one of those starches. Lentils, rice and some beans will also do this. Adding a fat while refrigeration helps the process. I noticed a yellowish waxy look to the potatoes when I did this in the past
By retrograde, do they mean "3. Reverting to an earlier or inferior condition." from the first citing on free dictionary? If reverting to earlier condition, raw potato would have same effect???

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok VeeJay, just one question; how were these considered resistance spuds?
Apparently cooking them, then getting them cold, changes some of the carbs to a type that isn't quicly digested. Marty (MCS) is the authority on resistance starch, and has posted quite a lot about it.

, why did you use margarine and not butter on the potatoes?
I have a food sensitivity to dairy. ALL my references to dairy products are in actuality a dairy substitute/alternative product.

SF gelatin with sour cream?
I prepare the flavored gelatin, then put in a large spoon or two (maybe 1/4 cup) of sour cream and take the whisk and whip it up until completely blended. Then pour it into the dish/mold. It separates a little, which gives it a 2-layer look. Is really good, and adds fat to the gelatin to sort of balance out the protein.

<edit> I tried to do a search and discovered I had the term wrong. Marty calls it *resistant" starch (not resistance).

<2nd edit> While I was working on this post I see Marty and others have discussed the details on resistant starch. Thanks, Marty.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Retrograde refers to the starch converting from digestable in the small intestine to undigestable in the small intestine. When researching this you have to be alert to the fact resturants employ a similar but different process that prepares food to reheat quickly in the resturant and mimmick fresh cooked starches. This technique will not produce the resistant starch you are looking for.

Resistant starch occurs once certain starches are cook and aloud to cool slowly, then refrigerated for 24hrs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Will anyone care to share more details on the process (time cooking, method cooking, time freezer, etc) and complete list of items that can be used for the conversion to resistance starch and if its based on any scientific study will you care to provide the link. Thanks
MSC has posted at great length on this subject, and he is himself a scientist, so my best advice to you is search his posts looking for resistant starch. I have followed his advice about several of these foods, including green bananas, and there is much to learn from him.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
MSC has posted at great length on this subject, and he is himself a scientist, so my best advice to you is search his posts looking for resistant starch. I have followed his advice about several of these foods, including green bananas, and there is much to learn from him.
Thanks Shanny.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Tries my hand at this last night. Night before boiled up a couple baby reds and last night we turned em into potato salad. Had a small amount, about 2tbls and tested for three hours after.

Start: 93
1hr: 100
2hr: 111
3hr: 99

Me and BH were pretty happy with those numbers.

Thanks to MCS for another idea!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tries my hand at this last night. Night before boiled up a couple baby reds and last night we turned em into potato salad. Had a small amount, about 2tbls and tested for three hours after.

Sent from my iPhone
Great results, David.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts

Sent from my iPhone
Glad it worked for you. Portion control was the biggest problem I had while trying the potatoes.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts