The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I have an appointment to see my PCP, he treats my diabetes. I have a stand alone program that I use to track my blood test results and insulin use. I always run a separate report showing my lows, my doctor always asks me because of my history with lows. In the last month, I had several lows in the low 30's. I don't know how to explain my lows to my doctor. I do have some trends but I really can't pinpoint any one problem. It could be that I didn't know the exact carb amounts and took too much insulin, maybe I skipped a meal and went low, ect. I think he expects me to not have any lows and I haven't been able to control the lows. He doesn't ask questions about any high readings and I had 3 readings in one month above 200, which all 3 times I ended up eating away from home and didn't take my insulin with me, so those could have been avoided. My doctor does not like lows and is concerned that I may go low while driving, this has never happened. When taking insulin, is it possible to not have any lows? And I am aware that a reading in the low 30's is different than a 50-60 reading.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
He is correct to worry about driving if your going low that often.

I am now on Lantus and Humalog, I had more lowes when I was on Humalin N.

in the last 4 months since I started Lantus Ive had 2 times where my BGL was in the 50s and 1 where it was 44

can you tell when your going low or is it only when you look at the meter that you see your low?

"Maybe I skipped a meal and went low"

"It could be that I didn't know the exact carb amounts and took too much insulin"

sounds like you need better record keeping. When I go low I know why, I look in my log book. I write the carbs and insulin, if I go low later I know why. Or If I am working (physical work) its in the book.

The 44 was last week I had 18 carbs for lunch and 8 IU of Humalog (normal amount for 18 carbs) 2 hours later I could tell I was going low. I was working on a truck so I finished the weld I was working on went in washed and tested 44. I ate 1/2 orange and candy, when I hit 71 I went back to work

It was a combination of to much insulin and a lot of physical work that brought it on. working that hard I should have had less insulin.

I also find that the insulin lasts longer than the carbs.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Breeze, I used to have lows like yours. I tightened my control bt testing more frequently (12-15 times per day) and that showed me that my BG was rising/falling sooner and I could take action and keep things more stable. After pumping and using a CGM I never have lows below the 50's or highs above 160, unless I put my site in a patch of scar tissue. That can cause bad highs, but it rarely happens. Bad lows would possiby occur if I ate out at a place where I had to guess at the carb content of my meal. When at home I eat at restaurants listed in my Calorie King. On my recent two week trip I ate at places that were not in my Calorie King. I had some bad highs and lows. When at home I know exactly where to eat.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is correct to worry about driving if your going low that often.

I am now on Lantus and Humalog, I had more lowes when I was on Humalin N.

in the last 4 months since I started Lantus Ive had 2 times where my BGL was in the 50s and 1 where it was 44

can you tell when your going low or is it only when you look at the meter that you see your low?

"Maybe I skipped a meal and went low"

"It could be that I didn't know the exact carb amounts and took too much insulin"

sounds like you need better record keeping. When I go low I know why, I look in my log book. I write the carbs and insulin, if I go low later I know why. Or If I am working (physical work) its in the book.

The 44 was last week I had 18 carbs for lunch and 8 IU of Humalog (normal amount for 18 carbs) 2 hours later I could tell I was going low. I was working on a truck so I finished the weld I was working on went in washed and tested 44. I ate 1/2 orange and candy, when I hit 71 I went back to work

It was a combination of to much insulin and a lot of physical work that brought it on. working that hard I should have had less insulin.

I also find that the insulin lasts longer than the carbs.
I usually don't know if I am low until I test. And I do record my tests and insulin use, that is how I know that skipping a meal or didn't count carbs right was most likely the problem.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have an extremely good doc. (thank you!) I do have lows. He mentioned 'if you don't have a few, you're not trying.'

They are extremely rare now that I've had more experience with insulin. Actually lows like yours probably aren't that rare. I don't really consider it a low unless I'm unconscious, and that hasn't happened in maybe 3 years.

I had the extreme misfortune to have a couple of really bad doctors. They are just not worth giving your business to. Don't take that kinda guff! :boxing:

Any lip like that I'd be looking for another one anyway. They might be (possibly) more intelligent and might know about 800 different diseases, but a lot of practical experience with a single disease and your understanding of it is substantial too.

Don't under rate your understanding.

·
Registered
253 Posts
rats, thought of something else and just found out that I couldn't add to or edit a post.

I don't even bring in any kind of history to my doc. In fact I don't even test very often, maybe once a week. Mostly it's because I know pretty much where my bg is anyway. I do pay attention to how much I urinate, and if that's increasing, that's when I usually test.

I understand that's unusual and it was a bit of a shock to read someone testing 12 to 15 times a day?? I've never been in a diabetic forum before but have never heard of that before. Maybe I misunderstood something. Might look for that post again.

I wouldn't be excited about starting to bring in test results. I'd consider it none of his business. The information is supposed to be for my benefit anyway.

Don't mind me. That doctor's attitude just got to me a bit, first thing in the morning too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts