The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the best time to take ER Metformin when battling with morning spikes? With dinner or just before going to bed?

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
206 Posts
I find that Metformin works better when taken with food. I tried just before bed time to lower my fasting numbers but to no avail... on top of having very unpleasant side effects that made me run to the toilet :eek:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since the extended version is time released I really don't think it matters when you take it. On the other hand I take the regular. I take 3 x 850 a day and find if I take 2 doses in the morning about 2-3 hours apart, it helps lower those morning spikes. So I take one when I wake up and the other around 9-10 am and then the last around 11 pm. I never take mine with food. Sometime you just have to experiment with the timing. Of course my doctor told me since met builds up in your system , it really shouldnt matter the timing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your inputs, it is much appreciated. Can one expect to loose some weight because of Metformin without changing diet and if so, how much weight?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think Metformin is only an aid in weight loss. Without changing diet and adding some exercise I doubt you would see significant weight loss. What I see with it, is that I seem to get full quicker. I also find if I eat a lot of carbs at one sitting that my stomach gets upset. So in a way it changes what you tend to eat. I also found a small amount (500 mg) did very little. I now take 5 times that 2550 mg.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I take XR 500mg x4 - and split it morning/night, 1000mg AM, 1000mg PM - with food.

I'm sensitive to the gastric effects and find not taking the 2000 at once is helpful. As for glucose readings, the time of day doesn't seem to mean much in my case, but I also couldn't find a direct relationship between my glucose numbers and exactly when I took the regular formulation either.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks for your inputs, it is much appreciated. Can one expect to loose some weight because of Metformin without changing diet and if so, how much weight?
Met worked for me by curbing my appetite, so it doesn't just magically melt off the pounds - you should be eating less.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appetite is a big problem for me... I'm always nibbling.... So if Met curbs appetite it is a big bonus for me!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ive tried chopping & changing taking it at different times but have recently gone back to taking it with evening meal, taking it in morning gave me an upset tummy

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Catherine? Cutting up the extended release tablets destroys their extended release properties, so that may be why they didn't work right when chopped.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Catherine? Cutting up the extended release tablets destroys their extended release properties, so that may be why they didn't work right when chopped.

LOL Sorry Shanny I didnt explain myself properly.... I meant I was chopping & changing the times of day I was taking the Met, not physically chopping the actually Met itself, Ive tried taking it going to bed which gave me slightly higher numbers in morning, tried taking it in the morning but that upset my stomach & gave me higher numbers for best part of the day, so now taking it with evening meal which appears to be just right for me no upset stomach & numbers appear to be pretty stable (although I dont know what they are like during the night & Im not about to disturb my sleep to check )
Its just dawned on me now, that I havent had to get up to wee during the night for over a week now... I love this LCHF
Sorry for the confusion :confused:

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think Metformin is only an aid in weight loss. Without changing diet and adding some exercise I doubt you would see significant weight loss. What I see with it, is that I seem to get full quicker. I also find if I eat a lot of carbs at one sitting that my stomach gets upset. So in a way it changes what you tend to eat. I also found a small amount (500 mg) did very little. I now take 5 times that 2550 mg.
i noticed the same thing and wondered if i was right about high carb meals and metformin. i started taking it a few months ago and the first six weeks i had a lot of nausea but this last month not much at all. every now and then it would hit me like when i first started metformin. it seemed it would happen after meals with high carb count.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts