The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should a person with Type 2, get an eye exam? Even though my numbers have improved, sometimes my vision still gets blurry but my numbers are within range. Would love some insight on this. Thanks.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
My opthamologist and retinologist both advised once/year. I see my retinologist more but because of my macular degeneration. Otherwise, it would be annual.

But if you have an issue, whatever normal regular intervals are is moot. I'd go in - along w/ your bg info.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I was actually just thinking about this earlier today. I usually go once a year and haven't had any vision complications, to my knowledge. My eyes have been bothering me more than they usually do, lately, and I'm not sure why, since my numbers have come down from what they were. I am so sensitive to light lately, that I even find myself having to wear sunglasses when it's cloudy out.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I am set for once a year and at this point am just a little late in making my appointment. (Everything was just fine last year.) It will be done once I get past the biopsy....

·
Registered
506 Posts
I used to go once a year. Now it's every six months as the doctor is monitoring the pressure in my eye.
Sad to hear that the pressure is increasing, but glad to hear you and your doc are on top of it. Does your doctor think it is related to diabetes? (I have glaucoma too, is why I ask. My doctors think diabetes is definitely causal in my case.)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Insurance usually recommends once a year eye exams for diabetics. Because diabetes can affect vision so drastically, it is pretty standard for once a year, unless you notice something unusual, then an appointment in between would be necessary.

My eyes get blurry as well, but usually it is because my bg spiked for whatever reason, or allergies are hitting me hard. This year allergies are really high for me, so I don't get too worried unless something weird is going on along with it.

I tend to be light sensitive as well, and it is not unusual for me to wear my sunglasses on a cloudy day. Sometimes those clouds are whiter than grey, and it really causes headaches from the light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a checkup as part of my initial medical "setup" to get a baseline. My ophthalmologist gave a clean bill so next year we will do it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sad to hear that the pressure is increasing, but glad to hear you and your doc are on top of it. Does your doctor think it is related to diabetes? (I have glaucoma too, is why I ask. My doctors think diabetes is definitely causal in my case.)
Thank you for your concern.
The pressure seems to be O.K., but it still needs monitoring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts