The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've had some HORRIBLE experiences with frozen bread before (my mother was very big on buy a TON of stuff, freeze it, and thaw it eventually...two or three years later). What's the best way to deal with thawing/heating this bread? I'm hoping for a positive experience here :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
While I do buy it frozen, I've had no problem just leaving it out at room temperature to thaw & then using it like any other bread - toast it if you like, or not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
When I eat it (not often) I just pry off the slices or two that I want from the frozen loaf and toast it... then apply lashings of butter and peanut butter :whistle:

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's a plural word Shanny (which already implies it's at least twice as much as a lashing :D) so "lashings" is: as much butter as I can squash, spread and melt into the toast without the toast totally disintegrating and then crunchy peanut-butter piled on top -- and I am being serious :cool:

Reactions: CrystalAnn

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I keep my loaf in the 'fridge and it's easier to just pull it out and get a slice to put my 'lashings' on it. I have a lot of trouble with mold, but if I'm very fast getting the slice out and pop it back in quickly, it doesn't seem to mold. In fact, my loaf in there is over a month old and in fine shape. I only like it toasted as it has a funny texture to me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Butter and peanut butter :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've never had it... I prefer butter and jelly... I'm hoping I'll be able to have 1 slice without too much of a lasting BS effect.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I keep my loaf in the 'fridge and it's easier to just pull it out and get a slice to put my 'lashings' on it. I have a lot of trouble with mold, but if I'm very fast getting the slice out and pop it back in quickly, it doesn't seem to mold. In fact, my loaf in there is over a month old and in fine shape. I only like it toasted as it has a funny texture to me.
I'd take the mould as a sign that we are on the right track by choosing these sprouted grains -- I have (previously) kept an half-eaten loaf of commercial whole grain bread in the fridge for literally months without sign of mould or staleness... the fact that not even microbes view it as nutrition ought to be an head's up to the rest of us.

But as above: I keep my Ezekiel in the freezer, taking off a slice or two as desired. It toasts well straight from frozen and stores for a few weeks without mould.

·
Registered
741 Posts
lol @ lashings...it reminds me of a spoof I saw of the Famous 5 "lashings and lashings of ginger ale"...very English

Ive been buying whole rye bread and cutting it then freezing it...defrosting one slice at a time in the toaster...always fresh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts