The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If beef isn't your best thing, use pork or chicken. This makes enough for three large servings.

2 small beef steaks (whatever kind - even cube steaks work well)
2 or 3 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
salt, ground black pepper, other seasonings of choice such as cayenne, cumin, etc.
2 or 3 tbsp. lime or lemon juice
1 large bell pepper (anaheims work well here too, for a little more kick)
1/2 large onion
8" flour tortillas (low carb/high fiber)
for garnish:
>> grated cheese
>> sour cream
>> salsa or picante sauce
>> avocado slices
>> diced tomato
>> etc., etc. :D

Cut steaks, pepper & onion into thin strips.
Combine wooster, seasonings & lime juice.
Marinate beef strips in wooster mixture at least 30 minutes.
Preheat large heavy skillet until almost smoking.
Drain beef strips & toss into hot skillet. Stir fry for a minute.
Add green pepper & onion to skillet & continue stir frying until veggies begin to soften.

Warm the tortillas and fill with meat/veggies mixture . . . add garnish of choice & enjoy!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use to do a lot of fajitas with tortiallas but now just make the meat and veggie mix and either eat it plain or put it on a salad. It is amazing after awhile how you lose your taste for certain carbs. I find it much more filling when served on lettuce or a base of baby spinach or cabbage.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I make fajitas here with skirt steak sliced thin and I use somethign called fajita seasoning that you can buy in the spice isle. I actually use that fajita seasoning on just about any meat I cook. I am not sure if you can buy it north of here...but I live in San Antonio so it is pretty much standard fare here. If you can get that seasoning it is the best!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I make fajitas here with skirt steak sliced thin and I use somethign called fajita seasoning that you can buy in the spice isle. I actually use that fajita seasoning on just about any meat I cook. I am not sure if you can buy it north of here...but I live in San Antonio so it is pretty much standard fare here. If you can get that seasoning it is the best!
When you find out the name, please let us know!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thats actually what it is called....beef fajita seasoning. If you are interested and cant find it let me know.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I usually just use several spices like chipolte chilli, cumin, paprika and pepper. Some of the mixes seem to have too much salt in them for me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This trick worked for me tonight with burritos too . . . they are one of DH's favorite meals, but I'd had enough carbs for today, so I had a bowl of the beef/black bean filling, topped it with guacamolé & sour cream, and ate it with a few cheese crisps. Besides which, an 8" tortilla adds a LOT more quantity to it, and without that flour wrap, we feel full - just not stuffed.

I use to do a lot of fajitas with tortiallas but now just make the meat and veggie mix and either eat it plain or put it on a salad. It is amazing after awhile how you lose your taste for certain carbs. I find it much more filling when served on lettuce or a base of baby spinach or cabbage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts