The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come there are so many fake members on the members list? Wouldn't it be wise to remove them?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for you feedback. I'm not sure what you mean by fake members but there are a lot of registrations that were either spammers, banned and have not completed the email verification process. We will clear these off the members list soon and tidy it up.

Welcome to the site too. It would be great if you could introduce yourself.
Regards
Bob

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for you feedback. I'm not sure what you mean by fake members but there are a lot of registrations that were either spammers, banned and have not completed the email verification process. We will clear these off the members list soon and tidy it up.

Welcome to the site too. It would be great if you could introduce yourself.
Regards
Bob
Hi Bob!

Those are exactly the members that I mean. I'm glad the list will be tidied up in the near future.

I have been a member for quite a while, but I didn't post here any more, because there weren't many active members.

I'm Cathy; T1 and I live in Belgium EUROPE

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hi Cathy,
Please to meet you and welcome to the community. I have recently purchased the site and am investing in creating an active community here for the future. So please stick around and we will tidy up those odd looking profiles. We have actually implemented a lot of measures to deter these types of spammers registering in the future. :)
Regards
Bob

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Cathy, I am happy to see you here! At first I thought you might be referring to members who pull the wool over our eyes and tell us about their terrible problems and then it is discovered they are fake. Some people crave attention and sympathy and there is no end to what thyey will do to get it. I have made friends with two individuals on other sites and then realized little or nothing they said was true. That hurts so much when you know a "friend" has lied to you. Thre have been several fakes on other sites that have been banned. The trouble is that it is very difficult to tell the real ones from the fakes. Maybe I should not have posted this but it is something that has bothered me for a long time. Thanks for listening!

Richard

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Cathy, I am happy to see you here! At first I thought you might be referring to members who pull the wool over our eyes and tell us about their terrible problems and then it is discovered they are fake. Some people crave attention and sympathy and there is no end to what thyey will do to get it. I have made friends with two individuals on other sites and then realized little or nothing they said was true. That hurts so much when you know a "friend" has lied to you. Thre have been several fakes on other sites that have been banned. The trouble is that it is very difficult to tell the real ones from the fakes. Maybe I should not have posted this but it is something that has bothered me for a long time. Thanks for listening!

Richard
Hi Richard!

Great to meet you here again. We met before, on DD, and here as well. I look up to you and your lifestyle.
I didn't refer to fake people as you mentioned, and I didn't even realise they excisted...wow... what a world we live in... I hope you haven't lost your faith in manhood...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Cathy, Welcome to DF and you have met our Administrator already!! :D Yes he will have this site in good shape. I am also a Type 1 and have completed a DAFNE course which is quite good. So you're are in Belgium south of Holland. ;):) So can I mention chocolate. :D

Welcome Cathy. :eek:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well, at least most of the "fake members" are not from our country or continent. They do use fake country names however. It must be boring where they live since they spend so much of their precious time here with us. Or else, they really like us. ;) But this happens on most forums. I recently was going to join a Forum(not Diabetes) but they had shut their registration down because of this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
OH NOOO! Terrie, they actually shut it down??? That is so pathetic that could happen. There has to be a way of moderating to get these idiots banned. On Tony's site last year their was an investigation performed by members of the site. A lady in England claimed to be pregnant with twins and she was in the hospital and needed a new kidney or she would die. Later her uncle was online saying she was brain dead and they had her on life support until the twins were born. The investigation revealed that she was lying and she was pretending to be her own uncle. She and I had become good friends on three sites and we emailed each other a lot until the hospital episode. I never suspected anything. There were many other traumatic things she posted before she said she was pregnant. She actually gave good advice to many diabetics at one time so she is probably diabetic. All of this left me kinda hardened inside. I have a hard time trusting people online now. I try not to become too close with anyone. I don't want to be hurt like that again!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH NOOO! Terrie, they actually shut it down??? That is so pathetic that could happen. There has to be a way of moderating to get these idiots banned. On Tony's site last year their was an investigation performed by members of the site. A lady in England claimed to be pregnant with twins and she was in the hospital and needed a new kidney or she would die. Later her uncle was online saying she was brain dead and they had her on life support until the twins were born. The investigation revealed that she was lying and she was pretending to be her own uncle. She and I had become good friends on three sites and we emailed each other a lot until the hospital episode. I never suspected anything. There were many other traumatic things she posted before she said she was pregnant. She actually gave good advice to many diabetics at one time so she is probably diabetic. All of this left me kinda hardened inside. I have a hard time trusting people online now. I try not to become too close with anyone. I don't want to be hurt like that again!
wow Richard...that story leaves me sitting here with goosebumps..really..Why do people make up stories like that? That's just sick.. I feel sorry for the lady that had such an empty life that she had to make up stories like that one to get attention.
Please Richard, you are such a valuable person. I have read your story on DD and you have so much wisdom to share. Don't let that lady (is she worth to be called a lady after what she did...) rule your life.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Agreed. I feel really bad that someone has tried to con you in this way Richard. You are such a valuable, trusted member on all the sites that are lucky enough to have you post. You have to realise that for every one con person like this there are thousands of good, honest people that read your posts and find your life with diabetes an inspiration.

People that post in this way do have an objective and it is normally to procure some kind of sympathy based donation. This is why I have a rule on here that states no form of unsolicited advertising or promotion is allowed. By moderating out such posts we should deter this type of behaviour.

I will probably have a more specific rule which states no form of donation may be published on this site. My aim - when the site is profitable - will be to donate a percentage of the profits to an authorised Diabetes related charity or association that our members vote on and choose.

Regards
Bob

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks Cathy. You are a jewel! I will never quit posting and helping my fellow diabetics as long as I have good health and can do so. I am not jumping into friendships and believing everything I read until I get to know the person much better. People email me and want to start a regular online correspondence. I am kind of lukewarm about doing that until I know them much better. I was too naieve when I first started making online friends. I have learned a lot! It is nice to have you here with us!!!

Richard

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks so much for your message Bob! I admire you for feeling that way and I am lloking forward to this site becoming a popular one with many members. We are off to a good start! Have a great 2009 Bob!

Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes Richard. I read some of the posts and came across the one by the owner that said some unkind People had loaded it with spam, others were putting a lot of false registrations, yet another Person had badly verbally abused another Member on different areas of the Forum. That was in Nov. it was shut down. I was there in Dec. I tried to register but the sign came up saying they were not accepting any new registrations at the time. I guess they are getting some hardware to block them out plus it takes a while to clean up the mess. It seems like a worthwhile Forum though.

Geez, that's Terrible what happened on Tony's site. That Lady really has problems to put you's through that. Most likely just looking for sympathy and attention or getting some laughs.

Were you here when that Lady(claimed to be from Montreal) said she was pregnant and had to take 2500 units of Insulin a day???
Ya, right eh? That would kill her and the Baby, if she was pregnant. When I told her to come to our Hospital...I'd even pick her up and take her there, she left pretty quick. Maybe it was the same Lady. ;)

There are a lot of these types on the net, just bugging People.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Terrie, I know the other Richard is from Montreal. I don't recall the lady though. I imagine her post has been removed.I wonder if she accidently put one too many zeros on her number. I know a diabetic who take steroids for terrible arthritis and another for very bad asthma. The steroids cause them to have to use very large amounts of insulin. The lady with arthritis became diabetic because of her steroid (Prednisone). I have read about several people who became diabetic from using Prednisone in large doses.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Terrie, I know the other Richard is from Montreal. I don't recall the lady though. I imagine her post has been removed.I wonder if she accidently put one too many zeros on her number. I know a diabetic who take steroids for terrible arthritis and another for very bad asthma. The steroids cause them to have to use very large amounts of insulin. The lady with arthritis became diabetic because of her steroid (Prednisone). I have read about several people who became diabetic from using Prednisone in large doses.
No, it was you Richard not Ricky. I don't blame you for forgetting her. It was some time ago and she wasn't here long. I asked about the extra zero. She said 2500. She wasn't on Pred. Yes, I had asked Merien to remove it after a while but I didn't check if he did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In a warped way i find this thread very amusing.

As i know nothing about diabetes i am a fake member LOL.

Must tell my doctor that the next time i see him.

On the forums i get the same advice to the questions, so we must all be fake.

Bet my Metformin is really a placebo and i am in a giant worldwide research experiment.

Thanks for the thread by the way, see with some members only give you rank, name and serial number when you ask to many personal questions.

Will make me more suspicious of people.

Didnt think you would get it in here but thats life.

Thanks for the warning.

Davey.

:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Davey:

As you probably know, there are many thousands of People who go to as many Forums as they can, just to make trouble of one sort of another for Members or Staff, of the said Forums.

Cathy asked a perfectly legitimate question as most have asked on other Forums. That is why this Section exists. When I entered the Forum Families years ago, I asked the same question. Only I did it by pm. Same difference. Most owners would remove the question and comments. Bob chose to leave it, just for your amusement. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.