The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
Thanks for the feedback from a post I put up a few weeks back. Last night, I foolishly followed some strange impulse to not only over-eat, but to over-eat really bad food... we're talking Chinese food soaked with oil and covered with layers of dough and dripping in a sugary sauce. I woke up at least 4 times last night, sheets soaked with sweat, having to urinate constantly... My blood sugar this morning was 262. I felt so bloated and sweaty and warm; and also felt like such a failure. I was also scared - I just imagined that things like this could really, really make my health worsen. I had a mild panic attack thinking about all these repercussions.

It hit me really hard that I can't ever really temporarily forget about my condition. I have to take more responsibility, be more active in my own health. I feel bad for giving in to food temptations, and yet I can see that it can happen - we are human. I guess my body is just too vulnerable right now to be able to handle deviations like this.

I just felt like sharing. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, just being very thoughtful about where I am in life, and the responsibility I need to embrace in this process.

J

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You have no need to beat yourself up for 'falling off the wagon'. I've done it more than once since diagnosis and I daresay others on this forum have too. The trick is to not do it too often.

It is soooooo easy to be overwhelmed and while I wouldn't really call it feeling sorry for yourself, it is a wake-up call or a reminder. Managing diabetes successfully is a full time job and you have friends here. When you feel like you need help, just ask. We've been there, done that and will help you anyway we can.

Take care.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
That was yesterday...this is today and it is a part of your past and you needed it to wake up! Now that you are awake, it's time to crawl back on and try to admit to yourself, as you have, that you can't live that way anymore. Once you take the plunge, it's not so bad to hang onto the wagon for dear life...you can do this...and, once you get firmly on to it, the temptations get better! Good for you realizing this disease/condition is deadly and for life.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think almost every Diabetic on this forum has given in to temptation at some point or other. I end up hating myself later for doing it but every once in awhile I do it. I remember a couple of years ago we were on vacation in Argentina visiting my daughter. The whole trip I was doing OK until the last day when we had a goodbye meal with my daughter. On the menu was a Dulche de Leche cheescake. Dulche de leche is their specialty down there and I just had to try it. Of course I ate the whole piece of cake. Since I was on an aiplane most of the day I didn't even bother testing but I can just imagine how high I went. When you fall off the wagon, forgive yourself and start all over.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
johnkoi said:
Hi all -
Thanks for the feedback from a post I put up a few weeks back. Last night, I foolishly followed some strange impulse to not only over-eat, but to over-eat really bad food... we're talking Chinese food soaked with oil and covered with layers of dough and dripping in a sugary sauce. I woke up at least 4 times last night, sheets soaked with sweat, having to urinate constantly... My blood sugar this morning was 262. I felt so bloated and sweaty and warm; and also felt like such a failure. I was also scared - I just imagined that things like this could really, really make my health worsen. I had a mild panic attack thinking about all these repercussions.

It hit me really hard that I can't ever really temporarily forget about my condition. I have to take more responsibility, be more active in my own health. I feel bad for giving in to food temptations, and yet I can see that it can happen - we are human. I guess my body is just too vulnerable right now to be able to handle deviations like this.

I just felt like sharing. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, just being very thoughtful about where I am in life, and the responsibility I need to embrace in this process.

J
Don't beat yourself up over it. I did something similar at BH birthday party for just a small piece of cake so the host wouldn't feel bad. That was Saturday night. Today was the first day that my FBG were in my usual range, though still in the high side.

It's ok. We just get back up, dust ourselves off, learn from what we did, and get back at it.

You can do it.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yep, back on the wagon.

It IS relentless, and no, we do not get breaks, without paying a price. Sometimes it may be worth the price ...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oh so you think you are the only one who has done that? :rolleyes:

Been there, done that...so has everyone! We are human afterall; we do make mistakes or throw caution to the wind every now and again. Point of it is to not do it often. I know the times I've eaten something I should not have and felt horribly guilty for it later, and perhaps paid for it as well. Sometimes if I eat something that is a no-no, I will end up spending the next day in and out of the bathroom. So, what that taught me is next time I want to eat a no-no, I just remember how miserable I felt after the last one, and walk away from it.

The question you have to ask yourself now is did you like waking up to that 262? I bet not. Did you like that restless sweaty sleep? I bet not. Keep that in mind next time you are about to fall off that wagon. You will find as time goes on as well that the no-no food wasn't even worth eating because it just doesn't taste the same or have the same quality it once did for you.

Perhaps if you enjoyed that type of food you could find ways to make it more LC/HF friendly so you can indulge without harming the bg's? Just a thought.

Reactions: Patdart and foxl

·
Registered
322 Posts
i fall off the wagon every so often on purpose.
Yes i said it, on purpose. not that i do it all the time, and i do work to manage my carb intake on a daily basis, but i have found that the more i deprive my self of what i crave, the more i tend to binge eat when i do fall off the waggon.
so for me its a little here and a little there. maybe a few hashbrowns for breakfast, or a soda, and yes like i said a few weeks ago, pizza.
I know some wont agree. but i would rather have a few extra carbs every once in a while and have a BG around 200, then consume 400 carbs at one sitting then feel bad cuz my BG is over 300.
dont feel bad like others said, just get up and watch what you eat. denying your self the pleasures of life all the time tend to take away the things that make life enjoyable too. Saturday night im going to grill big ribeye's and i might even eat half a baked potato, loaded with all the extras. Will it bump my sugar for the night yes it will, but then i wont feel the need to do that again for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I use a strategy that seems to work well for me. I give myself permission to have an "off-plan" day maybe once or twice a year. For me, with multiple allergies and gluten intoleerance, it's more than just having high BG numbers.

The "off-plan" day is scheduled. I plan what I will eat - usualy, it's what restaurant I'll go to and indulge. I look forward to it. As the day approaches, what usually happens is that for some reason I think, this isn't a good day. Usually it's knowing the afteraffects and not wanting to have them near a day when I need to be well and alert (such as the weekend, or the one day a week I teach painting).

So, this little mind game goes on and on. I plan a day, then I put it off. So far, this time around, it's going on a year past my next "off-plan" day when I have planned to have the batter fried Awsome Blossom onions at Outback.

Generally, in social situations, I am not tempted. And I think that's because I can't tolerate gluten and almost everything served anywhere has that. And that is one thing I WILL avoid 100%.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
i fall off the wagon every so often on purpose.
Yes i said it, on purpose. not that i do it all the time, and i do work to manage my carb intake on a daily basis, but i have found that the more i deprive my self of what i crave, the more i tend to binge eat when i do fall off the waggon.
so for me its a little here and a little there. maybe a few hashbrowns for breakfast, or a soda, and yes like i said a few weeks ago, pizza.
I know some wont agree. but i would rather have a few extra carbs every once in a while and have a BG around 200, then consume 400 carbs at one sitting then feel bad cuz my BG is over 300.
dont feel bad like others said, just get up and watch what you eat. denying your self the pleasures of life all the time tend to take away the things that make life enjoyable too. Saturday night im going to grill big ribeye's and i might even eat half a baked potato, loaded with all the extras. Will it bump my sugar for the night yes it will, but then i wont feel the need to do that again for a few weeks.
I guess I am still too new to all this to allow for "cheats" or to be tempted to fall off the wagon. It will just be three months since dx next Wednesday. I'm sure as time goes by I will slip up it is just human nature and I'll accept that and pick myself up and get back on the wagon. But I don't see myself allowing "cheats", even only every few weeks. I can just see myself thinking, well that wasn't so bad a slip up, I recouped fast.....then next time something even worse..... and pretty soon the whole lchf diet is down the tubes along with my health. Just not worth it to me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You have no need to beat yourself up for 'falling off the wagon'. I've done it more than once since diagnosis and I daresay others on this forum have too. The trick is to not do it too often.
This times a thousand. I can't count the people I used to train who would obsess over one bad or missed workout, and who would even ditch their whole program because of one bad or missed workout, ora meal gone wrong. Health and fitness are the result of chronic, or long term behavior, not acute or short term. Everyone falls off the wagon. When you fall off, don't concentrate on the fact that you fell because it's common and largely irrelevant. Concentrate on getting back on the wagon and staying there, as you likely did for a significant amount of time before you fell. Remember that success and let that motivate you as opposed to focussing on the one out of ten times you may have messed up.

Think of it like climbing a mountain. If you make it almost all the way up and then slide back ten feet, are you really going to concentrate on that lost ten feet and let yourself slide the rest of the way down? Or, are you going to say to yourself, "Yeah, that kinda sucks, but look how far up I've already made it." Regaining that lost ten feet is easy. Unfortunately, so is giving up the thousand feet you just climbed but only looking at your losses. Count the successes too. If they out number the losses, you're doing okay.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Shat happens. For everyone who does this it drives home the reality of our condition. Wife went to pick up the Gkids, 2hrs away, on the way backshe stopped and got them some reeses cups. Well needless to say she ate a fair amount of them on an empty stomach and was couch bound when she got home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much, all, for your thoughts on the subject... I was in a meeting at work after I posted, and I came back to my desk to see so many helpful responses :) That's a huge help for me.

Naynay, I think what you said about whether or not I like waking up to high blood sugar really hits home - clearly, the answer is 'No!', and you're right - it is a tradeoff between feeling healthier or giving in to the craving.

I also notice the binge response I have toward forbidden foods. If I don't have anything for a while, when it DOES come at me, I can't seem to get enough. I've kept white rice and bread and pasta pretty much out of my house altogether, but when sometime does enter in, I seem to have no control and eat far, far too much.

This gives me a lot to think about though - and the support is great. I'm feeling more empowered right now, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I had two major cheats since dx that I thoroughly enjoyed and if I had it to do over again, I would! And, I'm sure I'll have a major cheat in the future.

But, what helps keep them to a minimum for me, is remembering how very sick I was when I was dx'ed and not wanting to go back there. So maybe this cheat, with nasty side effects, was a blessing. The memory of it can be a powerful brake and bury temptation dead in its tracks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I also notice the binge response I have toward forbidden foods. If I don't have anything for a while, when it DOES come at me, I can't seem to get enough. I've kept white rice and bread and pasta pretty much out of my house altogether, but when sometime does enter in, I seem to have no control and eat far, far too much.
Deliberately challenge yourself and plan ahead. For example, I recently went to my friends Italian restaurant. Before I left the house I told myself, "No pasta, no matter what." Before I got into the restaurant, I told myself the same thing as well as, "Keep to the seafood and veggies." Now, spaghetti is one of my favorite things on this earth. I LOVE livornese sauce almost as much as my own soul. A good marinara, only slightly less. I've had my favorite two meals ever at this restaurant, and being a foodie that's saying something. So, I knew it was going to be a challenge to not order that stuff and to keep to the healthy portions of the menu. I got the seafood salad for an appetizer and salmon with veggies for dinner. Success.

Discipline is like any other muscle, it requires exercise. If you deliberately build up a stock of successes to draw on, those binge impulses become a lot easier to resist because on a psychological level you become more and more aware that you have made the righ decision many times before and can easily do so again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think I may have already said this, but it's a good one so I'll say it again - I have a friend who is in the Army and he has a sweatshirt that says "The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret." Very true, I think:)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
more power to those of you that can cheat. i am nearing the 28 month mark, and still havent fallen off the wagon.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I must say the same...I've had unwise components of a meal, but never really fallen off the wagon. However, I try to contribute things to a meal if I am a guest...things I'm not 'allergic' to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts