The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've returned after a long absence. Once again, appreciative for the resources here. Thank you everyone.

I must stop metformin. Can't deal with the stomach issues anymore.

Doc is suggesting Farxiga as one of a few options. The little reading I've done so far makes this sound like a scary drug.

Anyone have any experience on Farxiga?

Thanks again!:confused:

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Sorry,

I've no personal experience of Farxiga but if the first thing I see when I look it up is 'approved in 2014', my instinctive reaction is 'well I might give it a try in 2024 - but not sooner'.

My rather informal bible on drugs Invokana, Farxiga, Jardiance: A New Class of Questionable Drugs for Type 2 isn't at all enthusiastic either and ignoring cost, off putting in itself, the CVD sidestepping would worry me.

My reaction is, I admit, based on instinct and cynicism rather than science and perhaps some of our other members might have a view that goes beyond the comments in this thread http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/25298-forxiga-who.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've considered experimenting with diet and staying on metformin. I need a break from it right now. Gastro side effects were way worse than gas.

I have a bunch to consider. I really just want to get things under control asap and then experiment from there. Nothing is easy as usual...

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
For most of us, control is easy to accomplish. Making ourselves do what it takes, that is the hard part. Speaking from experience here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,
I thought I'd update you all on this med and progress, especially since no one really had any experience with Farxiga.

I waited a bit and quizzed my new MD before deciding on if I would start. Even with all the concerns raised here and some concerning side effects reported, I ended up starting on 5mg of Farxiga in the mornings and 1MG of Repaglinide before meals.
I decided to start, because, well...nothing else was working. Metformin makes be extremely ill and insulin (and other non-insulin injections) barely made a dent. My numbers were uncontrolled no matter what my diet and activity was. So, I decided to start, hope to get control and adjust from there.

I'm happy to say, I'm seeing quick results. Fasting was 300 just two weeks ago and this morning I was down to 180. Mid-day numbers post meals are 130 and lower.

No GI side effects from either med. I did just come down with an nasty head cold (sinus issues is a side effect) but it could just be the cold my daughter had last week.

I plan to stick with the meds for a while. Continue to overhaul my diet and increase exercise. I've lost 40lbs since last December. If I lose 30 more, I'm at my goal. Along the way, I'll see if I can get off these meds but I just need something that works now.

In the end, the helpless feeling when nothing was working was paralyzing. I couldn't make any good choices. I'm re-energized by seeing much better numbers and I'm going to run with it.

-Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad you're getting results. I could not take as much Metformin as Md thought needed, so I started Farxiga in the mornings. I have had no side effect issues and my BG has continued to drop. While pricey, I think Farxiga is going to help a lot of people as an alternative medication.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Bounce,

Please go to our introductions forum - here - and start a new thread telling us a bit about your own situation in respect of diabetes. Do let us know what your blood glucose figures look like and what other medication are you taking. Are you following any particular dietary advice?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been on Metformin 1000mg/Glipizide 10mg for 8 years now. I too could not get used to the gastrointestinal side effect either. On my last doctors visit (about 2 wks ago) my A1C has been the highest it's ever been at at 7.3. I am usually between 6 and 7. I don;t have such as strict diet and I think it's because I cheated on my diet a little more than usual. The only thing I (try to) stay away from is refined sugar in soda, cakes, candy etc. The doctor ( a new doc) has me trying Farxiga 5mg. Other than the frequent urination I've had no other side effects (yet). I do not want to be the guinea pig so to speak. I was really scared when I read that the Farxiga could cause bladder cancer. I would rather put up with frequent trips to the bathroom than deal with cancer. Also, I've never been able to lose weight using Metformin. Don't gain any but can't lose any either. I am overweight. I weigh 270 and I am 6'3". I am 52. I have been reading that Farxiga will actually help you lose weight. Just waiting to see if I get any bad side effects from it. I will switch back right away if I do.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Metformin -- along with diet changes -- can help with appetite reduction and hence with weight loss, but it's basic purpose is glucose control. Glucose control is Priority One for diabetics.

That said ... a good way to promote glucose control and weight loss is to adopt a low-carb, high-fat way of eating (LCHF). Meds such as Metformin and/or insulin may still be required ... but cutting the carbs (not just sugar) and adding healthy fats from whole foods will make needed meds work better ... or may even reduce/eliminate the need for them.

The Extended-Release (ER or XR) version of Metformin is easier on most digestive symptoms than the regular form. Don't know why so many docs seem reluctant to recommend it.

Insulin doses need to be tweaked often, especially in the early days. (Those first doses don't do much for any of us.) Method counts for a lot, too. Most of us start out on the sliding-scale method, but that will not prevent spikes. Carb-counting helps insulin work better by preventing spikes, not just correcting them after the fact.

The concern with drugs outside of Metformin and insulin is that they tend to make the pancreas work harder, and this wear out faster.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome gguerra! Have you ever tried the LC/HF diet to control your BG? It works well. What do you eat? Can you give us a hint as to what you eat and what your BG runs? Do you test daily and if so how many times? What's your A1C? We also don't want to be the guinea pigs, so we follow the LC/HF diet and avoid most drugs if we are able.

Go read Blood Sugar 101 and also Diet Doctor - Real food for your health and come back often and read our success stories.

Good luck,

·
Registered
6 Posts
guerra, I take 10 mg of Farxiga in the mornings and 1000 mg of Metformin in the evening. I started that regimen in January 2014 when I had a 8.4 A1c. Today, watching my carbs and with some weight loss, my A1c level is down to 5.7. I feel like I'm getting some of my life back and am pleased that my daily glucose levels are relatively normal. It's really not that hard to do and it's so rewarding!
Skip

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the reply Shalynne. I am glad I finally found a place to discuss my illness with other people.

Metformin -- along with diet changes -- can help with appetite reduction and hence with weight loss, but it's basic purpose is glucose control. Glucose control is Priority One for diabetics.
Metformin has never affected my appetite. I still get hungry. It has worked in controlling my BG.

That said ... a good way to promote glucose control and weight loss is to adopt a ...Meds such as Metformin and/or insulin may still be required ... but cutting the carbs (not just sugar) and adding healthy fats from whole foods will make needed meds work better ... or may even reduce/eliminate the need for them.
Although I've never counted carbs except one time when I was on the Adkins diet (prior to my diagnosis) I do try to eat less carbs. I will eat some rice, bread or potatoes but in much smaller amounts.

The Extended-Release (ER or XR) version of Metformin is easier on most digestive symptoms than the regular form. Don't know why so many docs seem reluctant to recommend it.
I did try ER version of the Metformin and did not notice a difference with the GI side effects. I do take two 500mg tabs only once in the morning. I could try to take some in the AM and some in the PM. It's hard to remember to take it though as one get's busy during the day.

Insulin doses need to be tweaked often, especially in the early days. (Those first doses don't do much for any of us.) Method counts for a lot, too. Most of us start out on the sliding-scale method, but that will not prevent spikes. .... helps insulin work better by preventing spikes, not just correcting them after the fact.
I'm not on insulin and I hope I never am. Moderate Type 2 here.

The concern with drugs outside of Metformin and insulin is that they tend to make the pancreas work harder, and this wear out faster.
I wish I was completely off of BG meds. Maybe if if I lose 50+ lbs. Still hoping and I need to set my mind to trying a lot harder.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Although I've never counted carbs except one time when I was on the Adkins diet (prior to my diagnosis) I do try to eat less carbs. I will eat some rice, bread or potatoes but in much smaller amounts.
Now's the time to get off the fence and start counting carbs. Also, test before you eat, 1hr after the first bite, and again another hour later (2hrpp). Then you will discover for yourself how many carbs you can safely eat per meal (that means, no spike over 140). The result will probably be that you have to cut out the starches.

When you get your diet cleaned up and your BG down below 140 at all times - you will probably find that your weight begins to reduce as well. Without having to resort to any drugs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome gguerra! Have you ever tried the LC/HF diet to control your BG? It works well. What do you eat? Can you give us a hint as to what you eat and what your BG runs? Do you test daily and if so how many times? What's your A1C? We also don't want to be the guinea pigs, so we follow the LC/HF diet and avoid most drugs if we are able.
Good luck,
I quit testing for a long time (several years, about 3). I was on the same meds and my A1C was pretty good for many years (about 6). Now that my A1c has crept up to 7.3 on my last test, my doc has me trying this new pill (Farxiga). I am now back to testing regularly to see how well it is working. Well it turns out that all of my test strips were expired. Since I got the last batch for free, I went out looking for some new ones. It is the Freestyle Lite which is always free for the meter but the strips are expensive (About $75 for 50). I went looking for a new meter and ended up buying one from Walmart, it is called the Relion Prime. The meter is around $16 and the strips are about $9 for 50. Well now I am concerned about the accuracy because I am testing high in the mornings before breakfast and before meds (About 200). A couple of hours later (after meds) it will go down to about 160. I ordered the control solution for the meter and am waiting for that. They do not stock it in the stores since it has a limited shelf life. After reading some reviews online I found that some people are getting high readings (about 30 to 40 points) with this meter. It could be the strips? I wont know till I get the test solution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now's the time to get off the fence and start counting carbs. Also, test before you eat, 1hr after the first bite, and again another hour later (2hrpp). Then you will discover for yourself how many carbs you can safely eat per meal (that means, no spike over 140). The result will probably be that you have to cut out the starches.

When you get your diet cleaned up and your BG down below 140 at all times - you will probably find that your weight begins to reduce as well. Without having to resort to any drugs.
It is my wish to be off all of the drugs. The tests do not say that I am ready for that, regardless of my diet. I may have to start counting carbs as I have never done that except once I was on the Adkins diet which was prior to my diagnosis. I found it extremely difficult to stay lower than the 40mg per day (or whatever it is) for that diet. I found that counting carbs and trying to keep them really low is something I just cannot do for the long term. Too much protein makes you sluggish and we all need some carbs for energy. My triglycerides were high on my last test (about 380) so I have to watch my fat intake. I have a fatty liver as many diabetics do so the LCHF diet does not make a lot of sense for me. I do need to limit my carb intake but cannot take it to an extreme. My A1C has not been off the charts till just recently it crept up to 7.3, I am usually about a 6 with no strict diet control. I think it may have been that I slipped some and gave in to a few more sweets than I should have. I am trying harder this round. I guess I will see.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It is my wish to be off all of the drugs. The tests do not say that I am ready for that, regardless of my diet. I may have to start counting carbs as I have never done that except once I was on the Adkins diet which was prior to my diagnosis. I found it extremely difficult to stay lower than the 40mg per day (or whatever it is) for that diet. I found that counting carbs and trying to keep them really low is something I just cannot do for the long term. Too much protein makes you sluggish and we all need some carbs for energy. My triglycerides were high on my last test (about 380) so I have to watch my fat intake. I have a fatty liver as many diabetics do so the LCHF diet does not make a lot of sense for me. I do need to limit my carb intake but cannot take it to an extreme. My A1C has not been off the charts till just recently it crept up to 7.3, I am usually about a 6 with no strict diet control. I think it may have been that I slipped some and gave in to a few more sweets than I should have. I am trying harder this round. I guess I will see.
If you can't do LCHF then expect to be on meds the rest of your life. Expect your toes to go number then painful all at the same time and expect your eye's blood vessels to swell and bleed into your retina or macular causing BLINDNESS. Yes that's what happened to me.

BIG PHARMA wants to keep you sick. Eating healthy fats do not make you fat, instead expect the fat you do have to disappear. You have to eat fat for this diet to work right. Reduce your carbs gradually.

What are you eating anyway. I had to eliminate all grains, yes rice and corn . . . all gone. Every vegetable grown below grown. Yes my beloved potato both regular and sweet all gone. If you want to stop taking medications, LCHF is the way to do it. I suppose my fatty liver is gone from eating coconut oil. LOL, have to get a plug in for my coconut oil . . . I should buy stock in the company!

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
low-carb, high-protein is not the way to go. Eat moderate protein and high-FAT! That's the true LCHF.

Eating low-carb, high protein, and low fat is a recipe for failure. It is not sustainable. Only when you increase fats so that they are over half your food intake will you begin to be satisfied.

If you want to know what others eat on LCHF, there are some meal threads where members post what they are eating. This will give you a good idea of this way of eating:

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/6633-whats-breakfast.html

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/6926-whats-lunch.html

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/4227-whats-dinner.html

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/11557-what-do-you-eat-snacks.html

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
My triglycerides were high on my last test (about 380) so I have to watch my fat intake. I have a fatty liver as many diabetics do so the LCHF diet does not make a lot of sense for me.
It isn't fat that causes these things (high trigs and fatty liver) - it's high CARBS. It is a fallacy that dietary fats cause these. Many folks on this forum are proof that the opposite is the case and once they embrased LCHF, their trigs lowered, HDL raised, fatty liver disappeared, blood pressure normalized, and many other health issues improved.

There are many threads in this forum discussing the role of carbs in relation to CVD and cholesterol. Along with the science and research papers that support it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts