The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I usually like to pick up fast food once a week, usually on Fridays for dinner. I have been going to Subway, but am getting burned out. Does anyone know a good alternative? I need to know how many carbs I should eat and still be ok. I have been exercising 6 days a week and eating healthy on most days.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I need help. I usually like to pick up fast food once a week, usually on Fridays for dinner. I have been going to Subway, but am getting burned out. Does anyone know a good alternative? I need to know how many carbs I should eat and still be ok. I have been exercising 6 days a week and eating healthy on most days.
I usually go to Arby's. If you get a large sandwich there is usually a good size portion of beef but you have to take the size of the bun into consideration, there is a good 44 carbs in the bun. There is some controversy about the amount of carbs you should eat per day. I try to stay between 40-55 grams of carbs per meal and 15-30 grams of carbs per snack. I only eat 2 meals a day and when I snack, I try to eat meat or cheese because there is no carbs in either. Since you are exercising almost everyday you can probably eat 55 grams of carbs per meal. I don't know what type of diabetes medication you take if any and that can affect your carb management. It is good that you are still eating out every so often. I feel more in control eating at home since I have the food labels to look at. Eating at home all of the time gets boring. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Michele? Are you keeping a food journal of any kind? If you're writing things down & noting the nutritional values, you'll begin to learn the carb content of the foods you eat most often & how they affect your blood sugar. There's no one number for how many carbs we can individually tolerate; it's more of a matter of testing what you're eating and avoiding the foods which cause spikes in your BG, and since you're exercising regularly, I expect you can tolerate more than a person who doesn't exercise as much. But it's something you about have to test and find out for yourself. My own max is about 60g per day, but I am really sedentary.

Arby's is one of the fast foods I can enjoy too, although I don't eat the bun - I rewrap the meat in a high-fiber tortilla which I bring with me. The tastes are the same, but many fewer carbs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Taco Bell isn't bad I don't think. A regular taco has 12 grams of carbs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

What is eating "healthy"? For a hart patient its different than for us. "We" typical eat low carb, what do you do with all the bread in the sub role? When I eat a sub I hold it on its side and remove the top have of the bread as I eat. Its still a lot of carbs.

How many carbs you should eat depends on what you want for numbers and how your body reacts to carbs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
diabetes86 makes a good point - eating "healthy" for diabetics is not the same as the eating "healthy" that a cardiac patient or a Crohn's patient might eat. The eating "healthy" that we've been endoctrinated about all these years is not particularly healthy, btw (mainly because there's a lotta political lobbying involved in what we've been taught all these years, too).

Just this week I've been diagnosed with elevated uric acid levels - in one word - gout. My diabetes diet is not necessarily a good one for gout, so I'm going to have to modify a little and learn to juggle, I guess! :juggle:

Ah well, life goes on and it's still a good life! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I go to Wendys and have a small chili and a side salad. I put some of the chili on the salad and have a taco salad without the cheese.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I go to Wendys and have a small chili and a side salad. I put some of the chili on the salad and have a taco salad without the cheese.

The salad is 11 carbs and the chili is 22 for a total of 33 carbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts