The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ate out since I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes 11 days ago. I've been looking at sites like subway to see what kind of carbs they have. It seems the carb count is all in the bread. I'm looking for someplace to eat at when I'm out and need to get a fast lunch somewhere.

Subway has wraps but the carb count in just the wrap alone is 41. They have a 6 inch 9 grain wheat that is 42. Which is better for me?

Is there some other places I can look into that might be lower in carbs?

Since it's fast food you really don't get much time to study the menu so I'd like to have things figured out before I walk in.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Subway will make up their offerings as salads as well as sandwiches. If you don't mind having to sit down & eat it with a fork, go for the salads! Just go easy on the dressings . . . the creamy ones like bleu cheese, ranch, etc., are prob'ly easier on your blood sugar than the sweet ones like French or Catalina. Vinaigrette is usually a good low-carb choice.

Oh - and no croutons, of course . . . :(

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I haven't ate out since I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes 11 days ago. I've been looking at sites like subway to see what kind of carbs they have. It seems the carb count is all in the bread. I'm looking for someplace to eat at when I'm out and need to get a fast lunch somewhere.

Subway has wraps but the carb count in just the wrap alone is 41. They have a 6 inch 9 grain wheat that is 42. Which is better for me?

Is there some other places I can look into that might be lower in carbs?

Since it's fast food you really don't get much time to study the menu so I'd like to have things figured out before I walk in.
Like Shanny suggested, you might want to stick with a salad. Most of the fast food places have sandwiches but the bun/bread is the killer. The only fast food I eat is Arby's and the sandwich has 44 carbs and that is because of the size of the bun. If I eat there then I watch my carbs the rest of the day. I take insulin and that helps to keep my blood sugar down but not everyone takes insulin.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I can get by eating Arby's too, but I don't eat the bun at all. I've been taking along my Olé high fiber tortillas & using the meat from two regular Arby sandwiches, roll it up in the wrap with a drizzle of Arby sauce & Horsey sauce . . . voilà! (actually, the only time we do Arby's is Tuesdays, when they sell the regular plain Arby sandwich for 99¢ each)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I can get by eating Arby's too, but I don't eat the bun at all. I've been taking along my Olé high fiber tortillas & using the meat from two regular Arby sandwiches, roll it up in the wrap with a drizzle of Arby sauce & Horsey sauce . . . voilà! (actually, the only time we do Arby's is Tuesdays, when they sell the regular plain Arby sandwich for 99¢ each)
Nothing wrong with taking your own bread with you to go out to eat. I used to take my own salad dressing with me when I would go out to eat. I felt kind of stupid, but no one really notices. :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
One of my favorite places to grab something fast is Wingstop. I like the lemon pepper wings and they are super low carb. Check the calorie king web site also...they have carb counts for many fast places. I bought one of their books for 9 dollars and I use it all the time. My hubby and I eat out a lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see that Carl's Jr. sells a six dollar low carb burger. It has 7g of carbs and 5g sugar. Instead of a bun they wrap it in lettuce. Then it's wrapped in paper so you can eat it without utensils. I'm guessing if you ask for no ketchup and pickle the sugar count goes down.

I'm really not looking to eating salad every time I go out or having to tote my own food around. I'm not obese so I'm not needing to lose a lot of weight. Just to manage my carbs.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I see that Carl's Jr. sells a six dollar low carb burger. It has 7g of carbs and 5g sugar. Instead of a bun they wrap it in lettuce. Then it's wrapped in paper so you can eat it without utensils. I'm guessing if you ask for no ketchup and pickle the sugar count goes down.

I'm really not looking to eating salad every time I go out or having to tote my own food around. I'm not obese so I'm not needing to lose a lot of weight. Just to manage my carbs.
Having diabetes sometimes requires you to do a balancing act some of the time. It is difficult to find things to eat that fit your dietary needs. It will take some time, but you will eventually find places to eat where you can eat low carb and not have to eat like you are on a diet. I need to watch my calories and saturated fat and fiber content in addition to watching carbs, when you take all that into account, food choices go way down, it is difficult.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
if i HAVE to eat out, i will choose the chinese food place, and order the boneless spare ribs, no sauce

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lucky for me I have been backyard BBQing for years so I never have to go out for bbq. I just have to stop using bbq sauce and no sugar in the rubs now. The flavor comes from the wood anyway.

I saw that KFC now has a no bun sandwich. They use 2 pieces of grilled chicken as the bun. It's called the "double down". It only has 3 carbs and 1 sugar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If i'm going to eat out, I prefer the sit-down restaurants to fast food, they tend to have healthier options.

My kids do enjoy McDonald's, so I take them there about once a month. I usually order them the nuggets, no sauce and get the apples as their side, along with milk.

I'll often have the side salad and their grilled chicken sandwich. I eat only 1/2 the bun.

Better to make your fast food at home where you control the ingredients.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I do subway sometimes too. They can make any of their sandwiches into a salad. If I want a sandwich, the 6inch wheat doesnt kill me too much :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Has anyone tried KFC's double-down sandwich - made without bread? I've heard it's messy, but delicious . . . :D
Its good...and for sure low carb. But dont even think about the fat and calories in it LOL. I have had it a couple of times but it isnt something I will eat often. The grilled version is probably a better nutritional choice...but I *do* love the taste of their breaded original recipe! *sigh*

·
Registered
45 Posts
The breaded double down is 542 calories, 32 gms fat, 1360 sodium
The grilled double down is 460 caloris, 23 gms fat and 1360 sodium

I'd have to do a lot of jogging to burn off that many fat and calories in just one meal!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread yet, but sometimes on my way into work in the mornings if I have not eaten before I left the house I will swing by the local Hardees. They have a couple Low or no carb options on their menu.

For breakfast I will grab the low carb bowl. Basically scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon (nom, nom yummy!!!) Just load it up with hot sauce. mmmmm good! :p

Also they have a low carb burger. Basically your typical burger/cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Prob'ly be good if DH & I would SPLIT a double-down, eh?! :D

I wish we had a Hardee's nearby - that low-carb bowl is right up my alley!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Prob'ly be good if DH & I would SPLIT a double-down, eh?! :D

I wish we had a Hardee's nearby - that low-carb bowl is right up my alley!
Hehe yeah. They closed the closest one to me down to expand a highway in the area, but that is good in a way as that helps keep me in my job LOL. I wish it was still there though, was a lot closer than the one I hit when I can now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts