The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to being diagnosed as Type 1 over 5 years ago, I would semi annually do a 7 day fast called the Master Cleanse. It consisting of a water mixture including lemon, cayenne and maple syrup. It is a very simple cleanse but highly efficient. My question is, as a diabetic am I causing more harm that good?

The amount of maple syrup is small so the amounts would be easy to control through insulin. It's more the fasting aspect that concerns me.
Any thoughts? Insights? Similar experiences you may want to share and shed some light

thanks,
tjf

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Prior to being diagnosed as Type 1 over 5 years ago, I would semi annually do a 7 day fast called the Master Cleanse. It consisting of a water mixture including lemon, cayenne and maple syrup. It is a very simple cleanse but highly efficient. My question is, as a diabetic am I causing more harm that good?

The amount of maple syrup is small so the amounts would be easy to control through insulin. It's more the fasting aspect that concerns me.
Any thoughts? Insights? Similar experiences you may want to share and shed some light

thanks,
tjf
Without information regarding the quality of your blood glucose control, I would not wish to express an opinion on "harm" but basically, as a diabetic your enemy is sugar in all its incarnations.

So a one week "fast" using only sugar as a nutrient doesn't strike me as a good idea.

John

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I fast but for shorter periods and minus any sugar. Usually about 18 hours at at a time no food or drink of any kind. It goes great with diabetes and I see positive results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without information regarding the quality of your blood glucose control, I would not wish to express an opinion on "harm" but basically, as a diabetic your enemy is sugar in all its incarnations.

So a one week "fast" using only sugar as a nutrient doesn't strike me as a good idea.

John
Google "master cleanse" and read the info, it will give you a much better overview of the cleanse and how it works and where you get your nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Sugar appears in just about everything we eat wether through carbs or directly so it becomes the same challenge as planning your daily meal.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Google "master cleanse" and read the info, it will give you a much better overview of the cleanse and how it works and where you get your nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Sugar appears in just about everything we eat wether through carbs or directly so it becomes the same challenge as planning your daily meal.
My wife has used "master cleanser" in the past. She was and is unimpressed.

I share her view although when I expressed my opinion, I didn't realise that she knew about the diet. I am sorry that I didn't oblige by confirming the view you already had of the wholesomeness of the fast.

Each to his own taste. If it works for you, that is your choice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It consisting of a water mixture including lemon, cayenne and maple syrup. It is a very simple cleanse but highly efficient. My question is, as a diabetic am I causing more harm that good?
Since there is no protein at all, as a human being it is hard on a person. Your body needs protein every day to repair damaged, old, retiring, or worn out tissue. If it doesn't get it, all the muscles deteriorate, including the heart.

You don't want that to happen do you? :)

I did fast a couple of times a lot of years ago but without the diet, just water. It was when I was young and dumb, and had a much better body. I wouldn't do it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts