The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. Did my blood this morning. I had only about four hours sleep but I had had a ten hour fast from eating.
Blood sugar was 5.2 (94). Been up three hours without food or medication (much too early for me - I'm VERY nocturnal).
For some reason decided to test my levels again and it read 4.8 (86) (two tests).
I've noticed this before but isn't this contrary to what I should expect?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Those are excellent bg numbers, what specifically is your question?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Those readings are about 10% off, and meters are allowed to have a variance of 20% and sometimes do. I haven't experienced that big a swing, but 10% isn't uncommon at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks jwags. I have always thought that after waking up and getting up etc my BS would go up as well - even without food and meds - and yet that doesn't seem to happen to me.
Until discovering this forum I was a 'solitary' diabetic and had no way of finding out what is probably a basic and elementary question but it is one of those things that I have often wondered about - as on the rare occasions that I have spoken to someone who actually monitors/cares about their D their BS goes up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi moon. Thanks also for your reply. Thing is whilst I obviously don't normally re-test after two/three hours (unless I have something to test for) whenever I have done, I have found that my levels are always lower than my initial reading from when I first get up (which I didn't think was the norm).

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Arthurk, you are one of the lucky ones who obviously does not experience the "dawn phenomenon", or "dawn effect". These problems occur when you go to bed at a decent number, and awake to a very high fasting blood glucose number. I have this problem and let me tell you its challenging to say the least. I wish I did not have to deal with it, but feel lucky that you do not! Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks naynay. I know I sometimes have a re-bound increase if my BS is particularly low before sleeping but thankfully I don't seem to suffer from DP.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Ah - I admit to reading past the fact the second test was hours after the first w/ no food. Apologies.

I also have this sometimes, though like you don't often test now frequently enough to draw any patterns. It could be that your liver did a little dump after your first test, and your pancreas released more than enough insulin to take care of it which put you at your second reading. Only speculation as there are so many variables, who knows.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you on any meds or insulin. Since your bgs are pretty stable that tells me your basal insulin rate is pretty good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi jwags and thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm on 500mg x 2 metformin (twice a day) and (now - see recent post) 40mg gliclazide (twice a day).
Further to all of the above - I tested again about 4pm and my BS had returned to 5.2 (94). So in six hours of being up and about it had not gone up and it had also been 16 hours since my last food or meds. I meant to check it again later but unfortunately I was in one place and the new tub of strips I needed was in another.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm on 500mg x 2 metformin (twice a day) and (now - see recent post) 40mg gliclazide (twice a day).
Those will lower your blood glucose. If you don't eat anything, it isn't at all surprising that your numbers go down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh Ok. The thing is tho not only had I had nothing to eat for so long but I had had no meds either. Anyway, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
ArthurK, it seems your bg's are staying relatively steady throughout the day and evening. Count your blessings! I WISH my control was that good!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Upon waking, my sugar was 100 - is that all right?
My French doctor suggests that "normal" is in the range of 74 to 109, so 100 is probably all right, if a bit on the high side.

It does depend on many factors: what you ate the night before, what medication you are taking, how you are feeling generally.... The list goes on and on. One figure in isolation isn't very useful, what you are seeking is the pattern over time.
John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine seems to higher in the morning than the rest of the day. nothing to eat from 9pm till I get up. 9 hours. I dunno. Might try taking 10 or 12 units of Levemer around 9 or 10 at night

·
Registered
241 Posts
Morning Glucose

My French doctor suggests that "normal" is in the range of 74 to 109, so 100 is probably all right, if a bit on the high side.

It does depend on many factors: what you ate the night before, what medication you are taking, how you are feeling generally.... The list goes on and on. One figure in isolation isn't very useful, what you are seeking is the pattern over time.
John
Thanks, John :) I'll see what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yes, top of acceptable range. In other words you might want to keep an eye on it.

Upon waking, my sugar was 100 - is that all right?

Reactions: Rosa
1 - 19 of 19 Posts