The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a low carb. diet that seems to helping my numbers. My question is after fasting in the mornings, my numbers have been around 120 - 130. After lunch there around 100 - 110. Shouldn't my numbers be lower in the morning? :confused:

Thanks for you advice! :cool:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to DP (Dawn Phenomenon) in the morning our bodies release hormones AND BG to get us ready for the day.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
For an experiment, try waking up earlier and testing right away.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Serg, I have dawn phenomenon and my numbers are usually really high in the AM. I've tried everything to bring it down, but nothing so far is working all that much. I was finally able to get the AM number down under 200 just recently, and that is with taking 40 units (so far) of Levemir before bedtime. I have to keep increasing by 2 units every 2 days until my AM number is below 150. I had a wonderful 105 before bed last evening and this morning was 182. I hate dawn phenomenon.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the world of diabetes. My highest numbers are in the morning. It helps if I eat low carb, but I still get what we call liver dumps in the morning, especially if I exercise. If I don't eat breakfast I will spike, if I do eat breakfast I will spike, if I eat carbs I spike big time. So what I usually do is wake up and take 1 of my 850 metformin, I eat something fairly small for breakfast like cheese, nuts, some greek yogurt, that shuts down the DP for awhile. I then take my 2nd metformin around 10 am and then eat a more substantial breakfast like bacon and eggs or leftovers from last nights dinner. Then my bgs go down for the rest of the day. I take my last 850 metformin right before bed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We all have our own strategies for dealing with dawn phenomenon. I found that not eating anything after dinner helps, but some people absolutely need to eat otherwise their livers kick into overdrive. Until recently exercise after dinner was having a profound effect on lowering my fasting blood sugar, but the last few times, my FBGs have been slightly elevated. I don't know what's going on, but it's one of the wonderful joys of diabetes. For all I know the exercise will start working again tomorrow.

These are all things to try. Your daytime numbers are great, by the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the great advice. I will definitely try your suggestions and thanks for making me feel so comfortable on this site. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts