The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting all ready to go on my diet and I have a dilemma. I am going to be needing to cut down on calories. I have been checking food labels and it is really not a surprise to find out that many fat free foods are higher in carbs. I have to take insulin to cover carbs so I am not sure if it is better to go with fat free or sugar free foods? It will be a constant struggle to find both fat and sugar free foods. It takes awhile to get used to fat free foods such as cheese and salad dressings. :help:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yup sugar and fat free foods are pretty much processed empty fillers like NSA Jell-o. Fat and/or sugar provides the flavour for most natural foods so it's really tough to find neither of them in a food. Fat-free foods are mostly rabbit food and fruit, but sugar's still there.

Can you opt for low-fat and low-sugar eating instead? You can easily cut down on calories without entirely sacrificing sugar or fat, that's what worked for me. You'll be focusing mostly on whole foods as part of any calorie-reduced diet, staying away from processed foods as much as possible. So there's less label reading required except for things like starches, dairy products, and meat, which are very easy to judge the best types for weight loss. Vegetables will inevitably be the majority of your solid food intake for optimum nutrition and loss, so it's not hard. (Indeed, they should be for everyone in North America since the majority are willfully veggie-deficient).

Does it make a difference for injected insulin whether natural sugars vs. added sugars are dealt with slower or faster?

I'm more an advocate for consuming even real sugars over artificials for treats because most of them are as bad for you as real sugar and aren't needed. It's because I restrict high sugar treats to individual public portions, so they're much smaller than what I could bring home and gorge in private. But I'm not a T1 so I don't know how problematic that would be for your insulin.

You'll have to drink plenty of water as it is so that will reduce fat and sugar intake even more at each meal and snack as you fill up on less food and your appetite decreases. If you're eating 1600-1800 calories instead of the usual 2000 to reduce weight, by the time you drop it your body will balance out and you'll be full just on 1800 and less hungry.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup sugar and fat free foods are pretty much processed empty fillers like NSA Jell-o. Fat and/or sugar provides the flavour for most natural foods so it's really tough to find neither of them in a food. Fat-free foods are mostly rabbit food and fruit, but sugar's still there.

Can you opt for low-fat and low-sugar eating instead? You can easily cut down on calories without entirely sacrificing sugar or fat, that's what worked for me. You'll be focusing mostly on whole foods as part of any calorie-reduced diet, staying away from processed foods as much as possible. So there's less label reading required except for things like starches, dairy products, and meat, which are very easy to judge the best types for weight loss. Vegetables will inevitably be the majority of your solid food intake for optimum nutrition and loss, so it's not hard. (Indeed, they should be for everyone in North America since the majority are willfully veggie-deficient).

Does it make a difference for injected insulin whether natural sugars vs. added sugars are dealt with slower or faster?

I'm more an advocate for consuming even real sugars over artificials for treats because most of them are as bad for you as real sugar and aren't needed. It's because I restrict high sugar treats to individual public portions, so they're much smaller than what I could bring home and gorge in private. But I'm not a T1 so I don't know how problematic that would be for your insulin.

You'll have to drink plenty of water as it is so that will reduce fat and sugar intake even more at each meal and snack as you fill up on less food and your appetite decreases. If you're eating 1600-1800 calories instead of the usual 2000 to reduce weight, by the time you drop it your body will balance out and you'll be full just on 1800 and less hungry.
The diet plan that I will be using will be a strict 1400 calories per day. My experience with this diet (Weight Watchers) does allow some sugar and fat, so doing low fat and low sugar might work, but I will be eating less than if I try to eat fat free. I like the diet because it also allows you to eat some of their prepared frozen foods which include desserts and meals and you then prepare your vegetables and meats and eggs and so on. Water is a big part of the plan and you need to drink 64 oz. of water per day and this does help fill you up. As far as covering carbs with insulin (and I am T2), it doesn't matter what type of carbs that they are, they need to be covered with insulin. I only like a few vegetables, so I will be eating alot of green beans, lettuce, pickles, some cabbage. I have attempted to eat cauliflower and broccoli and peas, but I don't like the taste of them, no matter how they are cooked or what you put on top of them. I wish I liked more healthier foods, but I don't and I just do the best I can with what I like. I have gotten quite creative with the Weight Watchers diet plan and have had success in losing weight on it. I always get bored and fall off of the wagon. This is something that needs to change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oops sorry, I forgot you were 2.

Gotta learn to love your veggies dude! I'd switch to cucumbers if you could, or have a balance of cucumbers and pickles, because most commercial pickle brands are loaded with far more sodium than necessary, and the stress and hunger induced by the first couple weeks of the diet (yes, you will have both) will motivate you to eat more. At least you like lettuce and cabbage so salad isn't out of the question. How are you for baby spinach? That makes great salads, all I ever eat now. You seem to like leafy and solid greens, so what do you think of things like bok choi, kale, peppers, variations when lettuce and pickles get boring? A diet is a great time to conduct nibble experiments with friends to find your definite favourites and some new ones.

Being bored and falling off the wagon happens with every diet, commercial or self-created. The thing is you have to allow yourself a little room to fall off the wagon now and then, or you will binge when you're bored and a craving that an apple or just one Weight Watcher's mini chocolate cake couldn't possibly satisfy kicks in. I've never considered diets that are cold turkey or complete elimination of any food, healthy or otherwise, to be emotionally beneficial. That carries physical risks when life throws a curve ball without notice and you just want to binge on ice cream to cheer up.

Please remember to savour the occasional oatmeal cookie, for your sanity's sake!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops sorry, I forgot you were 2.

Gotta learn to love your veggies dude! I'd switch to cucumbers if you could, or have a balance of cucumbers and pickles, because most commercial pickle brands are loaded with far more sodium than necessary, and the stress and hunger induced by the first couple weeks of the diet (yes, you will have both) will motivate you to eat more. At least you like lettuce and cabbage so salad isn't out of the question. How are you for baby spinach? That makes great salads, all I ever eat now. You seem to like leafy and solid greens, so what do you think of things like bok choi, kale, peppers, variations when lettuce and pickles get boring? A diet is a great time to conduct nibble experiments with friends to find your definite favourites and some new ones.

Being bored and falling off the wagon happens with every diet, commercial or self-created. The thing is you have to allow yourself a little room to fall off the wagon now and then, or you will binge when you're bored and a craving that an apple or just one Weight Watcher's mini chocolate cake couldn't possibly satisfy kicks in. I've never considered diets that are cold turkey or complete elimination of any food, healthy or otherwise, to be emotionally beneficial. That carries physical risks when life throws a curve ball without notice and you just want to binge on ice cream to cheer up.

Please remember to savour the occasional oatmeal cookie, for your sanity's sake!
Ouch...I guess my user name and avatar must be kind of masculine, you aren't the first person to call me a brother, guy or dude. I am a female who just happens to like Ohio State football. (Go Buckeyes!) I have never tried baby spinach, but I am willing to give it a try. You mentioned a couple of other vegetables that I have never heard of. When I shop the produce section, I usually spend most of my time looking at all the different kinds of lettuce that Dole makes. It is enough to make your head spin! I am aware of the pickles containing an overload of sodium, so I try to limit the serving to one per day. They are more of a snack for me. Falling off the wagon will happen, I just need to climb back on rather than use it as an excuse to make an entire day of eating foods not on my eating plan. When I fail one meal, then the whole day seems to get out of control. I am 11 days away from my start date and just received my new Weight Watcher program materials. I am anxious to start the diet, this will be my first attempt to lose weight while taking insulin. I am sure it will be a challenge.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Crap, I'm so used to other forums where everyone knows. I say dude all the time in public to women and men. No one seems to mind, it's kind of a reflex, so I do it when I type, too. Sorry to offend.

Lettuce is sort of a tight point for me. I'm very picky about lettuce because most kinds available are the lighter kinds like iceberg, especially in commercial and fast food salads, that have less nutritional value than the darker ones like romaine. I just suggest spinach because it's a consistently dark leafy green so you get lots of nutrients and it's about as cheap as iceberg, especially baby spinach.

Try the green and light varieties of peppers too to see what you like. Green pepper is more bitter than orange, red and yellow peppers. Red peppers have twice as much Vit C as green and are sweeter. If you like spicy foods the chili peppers are great.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap, I'm so used to other forums where everyone knows. I say dude all the time in public to women and men. No one seems to mind, it's kind of a reflex, so I do it when I type, too. Sorry to offend.

Lettuce is sort of a tight point for me. I'm very picky about lettuce because most kinds available are the lighter kinds like iceberg, especially in commercial and fast food salads, that have less nutritional value than the darker ones like romaine. I just suggest spinach because it's a consistently dark leafy green so you get lots of nutrients and it's about as cheap as iceberg, especially baby spinach.

Try the green and light varieties of peppers too to see what you like. Green pepper is more bitter than orange, red and yellow peppers. Red peppers have twice as much Vit C as green and are sweeter. If you like spicy foods the chili peppers are great.
No offense taken. We should have a way to tell if you are male or female on here. I think I'll suggest it to the administrator.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it's not too personal, could you share your height, current weight, and a general idea of your metabolism?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try the spring mix or field green types of lettuces. They are more filling than plain old iceberg lettuce. Baby spinach with cucumbers, chopped strawberries and a balsamic vinaigarette dressing with feta cheese on top is awesome, and filling. I don't care for cooked spinach, but I love baby spinach.

I make "rice" grating califlower until it is rice sized, then microwave for about 4 minutes and season it with a little low-sodium soy sauce and serve with chicken and a salad. My kids love it and don't realize it isn't rice. It takes on the flavor of whatever you serve with it.

You might also try grilling your veggies. My kids will turn up their noses at steamed vegetables, but if I put it on a kabob and grill it, it becomes a fun food. I like the "grill" taste.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's not too personal, could you share your height, current weight, and a general idea of your metabolism?
Well, for personal reasons, I would rather not give out my weight. Some things just need to be kept personal. There are many factors in determining what one's ideal weight should be and using a standard weight chart for my height and age does not work for me. I will tell you that I need to lose 60 pounds and I had a MedGem test done and my resting metabolism rate is 1730 calories and I am 5'3", most of my weight is in my mid-section (top heavy). I am 50 years young. I walk a couple of blocks per day and ride my stationary bike for 30 minutes a day but that is all the exercise that I get.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am getting all ready to go on my diet and I have a dilemma. I am going to be needing to cut down on calories. I have been checking food labels and it is really not a surprise to find out that many fat free foods are higher in carbs. I have to take insulin to cover carbs so I am not sure if it is better to go with fat free or sugar free foods? It will be a constant struggle to find both fat and sugar free foods. It takes awhile to get used to fat free foods such as cheese and salad dressings. :help:
As a rule I avoid any "adulterated" food. Real Whole Food is my mantra :)

In terms of Blood Glucose control there is no question that Carbs have a bigger effect that Fat. Fat does not raise BG levels and is more likely to delay a spike from any Carbs eaten along with it.

In terms of calories we are told that Fat has (gram for gram) twice as much as Protein or Carbs, but as above not only does it delay or smooth out any BG spike but I also find it far more satisfying and much harder to "overeat" than (especially refined/concentrated) Carbs. Try eating a stick of butter :cool:

I'm not a big believer in "counting calories" -- maybe a discussion for another day -- but simply put: there is no other animal which consciously counts calories... in fact most humans don't... yet most seem to be able to maintain equilibrium.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will tell you that I need to lose 60 pounds and I had a MedGem test done and my resting metabolism rate is 1730 calories and I am 5'3", most of my weight is in my mid-section (top heavy). I am 50 years young. I walk a couple of blocks per day and ride my stationary bike for 30 minutes a day but that is all the exercise that I get.
You sound like you're off to a great start. 30 min exercise a day should be the bare minimum for any person in the world, plus your walking will add up over time. If you can arrange the time to increase your biking by 1 min a day, in a month you'll be flying.

I make "rice" grating califlower until it is rice sized, then microwave for about 4 minutes and season it with a little low-sodium soy sauce and serve with chicken and a salad. My kids love it and don't realize it isn't rice. It takes on the flavor of whatever you serve with it.
Now THAT is VERY cool, clever idea. I'm not that fond of cauliflower by itself and this is a great way to incorporate it and limit more rice.

You might also try grilling your veggies. My kids will turn up their noses at steamed vegetables, but if I put it on a kabob and grill it, it becomes a fun food. I like the "grill" taste.
Hehe it's not just kids! I confess I'm mad for shish kebobs just for the added simplicity of cooking reduced portions of meat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's a clear-cut choice to me - definitely sugar free. Really, I don't look for either because I eat real whole food, minimally processed, locally and/or organically grown when possible. If it has ingredients I can't pronounce, I probably don't want it! Most of the sugar free products do.

That said, I don't worry too much about fat, either. We can't really afford to when we have to minimize blood glucose spikes. My approach is to eat moderately low carb.

B

·
0 Posts
Dude..!!

Diabrarian said in part..

Hey Dude.. ;) :D

Don't feel bad. When we (my family and I), get together for (what else.. :D ) a family get together I'm always saying things like: "Hi guys", or "What'cha guys doing", etc., etc. to my 6 daughters or my grand-daughters. Hey.. what can I say.........

I, like you, didn't realize "BreezeOnBy" was female either.. (NOT that it matters).

Anyhow.. that's my 2 cents from this side of the computer.

Breeze 2 User

1 - 15 of 15 Posts