The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Jeff, my son Riley was diagnosed with Type 1 3 weeks ago. Hes 12 years old. We found out the hard way, with a trip to the emergency room and PICU for a couple of days. Hes doing great right now and handling all the changes in life fairly well so far.

Riley, has entered the honeymoon phase which has thrown us all for a loop. Hes been running real low for a week. I have been on the phone with the Dr everyday adjusting his overnight dosage.

Lots to learn.

Jeff

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Jeff . . . this is when a parent might start thinking 'I wasn't cut out for this!', but despite the worry/anxiety/heavy burden of responsibility, we are exactly the ones who are cut out for it. You'll hang in there & so will Riley (love his name - it's a family name on my mom's side), and you'll become familiar & practiced with all the things that seem so overwhelming now.

I have a grandniece who's Riley's age only she's been type 1 since she was 9 months old. She's going strong & has already worn out one pump! But the poor little thing - never got a moment's rest during her childhood - every time she'd look crosseyed, we'd test for a low. The slightest little grumpy noise - finger poke! She must've thought she had about ten moms/dads, because all the adults in the family were trained in her care.

You'll do fine . . . hang in there & we're here for you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I dont have the Tshirt yet,, but I think they are making one for me.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello, My name is Jeff, my son Riley was diagnosed with Type 1 3 weeks ago. Hes 12 years old. We found out the hard way, with a trip to the emergency room and PICU for a couple of days. Hes doing great right now and handling all the changes in life fairly well so far.

Riley, has entered the honeymoon phase which has thrown us all for a loop. Hes been running real low for a week. I have been on the phone with the Dr everyday adjusting his overnight dosage.

Lots to learn.

Jeff
Hello Jeff and :welcome: I don't have children, but it must have been quite an experience to find out that your child has diabetes. He seems to be doing well and I hope that continues. There is a good website called children with DIABETES Online Community. You might want to check out what that website has to offer. Unfortunately, we don't have very many children as members since you must be 18 to sign up. We will give you as much support that we can, but there is a lot out there about children with diabetes. I hope you will keep us posted on your son's progress. Take care!

G

·
welcome Jeff :) I'm sorry to hear your son Riley has been diagnosed as a diabetic. Dealing with the shock is enough at first nevermind figuring out what you have to do to control the disease. I don't have kids... but growing up myself we were friends with a family that had a diabetic kid and they worried about him constantly and were forever testing him. I guess you will get used to what to look out for. Hopefully he will stop having so many hypos... they are not nice at all. Make sure you have a good medical team and you're receiving good advice from them. This forum is a great spot to find support too as lots of experience here. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello

Hi Jeff, you have been given good advice. I want to add that with the modern day knowledge about diabetes, and the technology available, your child's diabetes can be controlled. I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am very healthy.

There are several experienced type 1 diabetics here. Tell us more about your child's diabetes management, and give us your questions. We will do our best to help.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jeff, you have been given good advice. I want to add that with the modern day knowledge about diabetes, and the technology available, your child's diabetes can be controlled. I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am very healthy.

There are several experienced type 1 diabetics here. Tell us more about your child's diabetes management, and give us your questions. We will do our best to help.

Richard
Just joined the forum a couple of hours back. I'm 55 years old and have been type1 diabetic for the past 35 years....thought I was the one with the longest duration with type 1! Truly admire you for remaining healthy despite 65 years as a type 1 diabetic. Since I live in India, I have no access to your book, which I'm sure must be goldmine of info and advice for diabetics. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanda, my book does not offer so much advice. It is an autobiography with extra chapters involving an explorations of type 1 diabetes, its causes, how many have managed to live long lives with it, the Joslin Medalist Study, and much more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts