The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a Starbucks coffee, but have to credit them with the idea of adding cinnamon to coffee. It goes into every cup I have at home. I also use dry powdered milk for the whitener, and I add unsweetened powdered baker's chocolate.

The chocolate doesn't dissolve very well, so I mix those 3 together dry in the cup first, then add the coffee.

And I've been sipping apple cider vinegar lately. I added some to a cup of black tea and liked that. I do not have much of a sense of taste, so opinions could differ by a lot.

For popcorn it is hard to beat butter and salt, but I usually use olive oil and a health food store nutritional yeast. I think it's called evangita yeast? or something like that. But lately I've been using seasoning salt on the popcorn and it is really good.

Any other ideas around?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Since I'm coming from the Atkins diet, nothing beats melted, hot butter on the popcorn for me. No salt as I have to control it. I love full cream in my coffee and used to drink cinnamon flavored coffee before Starbucks...Vienna coffee it was called back then...memories flood at how good it was. I have made it with cinnamon in the basket with the coffee since I lost my source for it and that's good too!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The buttered popcorn sounds good, but unfortunately on a low carb diet I have had to say good bye to popcorn if I want to keep bgs below 100. One of the things I picked up from coffee shops is the Davinci or Torani sugar free syrups. They come in every flavor imaginable, including Chocolate. A few splashes in coffee, tea or in unsweetened greek yogurt makes it an elegant dessert. I order mine from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! I think they have the biggest selection of flavors. I also use it in baking, as my sweetner along with some stevia.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No salt as I have to control it.
I watch my salt too. I'm completely in the normal range for blood pressure, but it is a worry that high salt consumption puts up your blood pressure.

I reduced mine drastically for a long time, then read that low salt produces its own set of problems. (sigh) It isn't quite as simple as 'if one extreme is bad, the other will be good.' So since then I've been enjoying (!) salt, and especially a few different kinds of seasoned salt. Also soy sauce, which I had just about cut out completely because of its salt content.

I have had to say good bye to popcorn if I want to keep bgs below 100.
Do you mean you keep your postprandial bgs under 100 too? You don't hear much talk like that around here. Actually I shouldn't type that. I've hardly had time to be around for a long time, and I'm sure there are some who do that. The only one I've read recommending that was Dr Bernstein. Are you following his high protein diet to do it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts