The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most accurate meter to you? A long time ago I had some key chain $20 thing from walmart and it almost always gave me the number I felt like. (ie if I felt low i was right...) but in a small town walmart doesn't really have all the options. It's either that or cvs. But anyway, I bought another meter recently and I swear if I uncross my legs or blink my reading can change 30 points. I can dab blood and get 108, and know that isn't right so I do it again and it's 137. Any suggestions on how to feel comfortable with a reading...or a meter that seems to work like it should?

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Maybe using a control solution to see if meter and strips are within range? I haven't done that myself - but then I'm still a newbie.

My Accu-chek Aviva seems pretty consistent, and when I get my next A1C I'll see if it seems accurate. The Reli-On I got from Walmart has been all over the place and not at all in sync with the Accu-chek so I stopped using it. Others have had great success with it so probably I should get some solution to check it with.

It's frustrating that meters have such a large margin of error - 10-20%. In spite of it, I tend to put great stock in rises and falls of 10 points even though I know better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I have! The reli-on and I swear it's a coin toss. Im on the iPhone app so i just found the treatment forum (please forgive me!) I'm looking into the accuchek though

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've used control solution on my ReliOn meter & it seemed to be all right. I've also checked it against my lab results a few times & it came close. I think if they're consistent, it's more important than how they compare with other meters. The FDA allows SO much variance, it's impossible to tell! Just the one that seems to get closest to where you think you are, and stick with it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I swear by my OneTouch and OneTouch Ultra, even though the strips can be a budget buster. I did not find the Relion accurate enough to calculate boluses, but that's just me....thousands of people use Relion every day and are able to maintain good control.

Jen

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good point though, Jen . . . accuracy is a much greater issue when you're calculating boluses. All I need it for is trying to stay under 140, so if it reads high, all the better for my control!

C

·
0 Posts
JChase- I recently pruchased the Bayer ContourUSB, being the 5th meter I have purchased, and found it to be the most accurate meter yet. I like that it is small, rechargeable and can easily have records stored on a computer. I had my physician calibrate it with the meters in their office and my blood-work results and found it to be right on the money. I especially want to emphasize how easy it is to carry because of the size.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at those on amazon. But I heard it won't work with windows 7 for downloading, have you had issues? My reli-on clocked me at 94 then I repeated and it was 127. So that meter just isn't for me...

C

·
0 Posts
I was looking at those on amazon. But I heard it won't work with windows 7 for downloading, have you had issues? My reli-on clocked me at 94 then I repeated and it was 127. So that meter just isn't for me...
JChase- I have been using the ContourUSB on Windows 7 with no problems at all. NEWMAN

O

·
0 Posts
I currently have the Accu-Check Nano. It's been pretty good... but chews through batteries on average every 3 weeks or so. I like the idea of a rechargeable meter to save money on batteries. They're not that cheap... cheapest I can find here is $7 for the 2 pack I need to reload. One guy near where I work was charging me $10 per battery... so $20 for batteries... ridiculous. The $20 batteries didn't last any longer either. Mind you maybe others paying more perhaps?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I currently have the Accu-Check Nano. It's been pretty good... but chews through batteries on average every 3 weeks or so. I like the idea of a rechargeable meter to save money on batteries. They're not that cheap... cheapest I can find here is $7 for the 2 pack I need to reload. One guy near where I work was charging me $10 per battery... so $20 for batteries... ridiculous. The $20 batteries didn't last any longer either. Mind you maybe others paying more perhaps?
That's incredible! It's only been two years, but I have NEVER changed my meter battery!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I used a One Touch Ultra and One Touch Mini for 3 years. I had a lot of error strips and a lot of higher readings. I recently got a free Contour USB meter, I love it and it gives me much more consistent readings. I only messed up one strip so far and that was my fault for not pushing it in all the way and touching it to the blood. It is a lot faster than the One Touch and strips are cheaper.

O

·
0 Posts
That's incredible! It's only been two years, but I have NEVER changed my meter battery!
that would be nice not to have to change batteries! :D I think maybe this meter I have uses a lot more energy as it has one of those fancy displays... glow in the dark type. Plus I use it a lot and I'm probably testing 5-6 times per day or more at the moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts