The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It can be so hard eating out sometimes. I think all restaurants should be required to have nutritional information on the menu so we can know how many carbs we are consuming *sigh*

My hubby took me out tonight to one of my favorite eat out places. We went to Joe's crab shack and I dove into a steampot full of steamed crab. Yummo! Substituted the potatoes with some steamed broccoli and had enough carbs I could enjoy that little piece of corn on the cob. My blood sugar after dinner...115, so I am very happy with that!

Where does everyone like to go when they eat out and what are some good choices?

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It can be so hard eating out sometimes. I think all restaurants should be required to have nutritional information on the menu so we can know how many carbs we are consuming *sigh*

My hubby took me out tonight to one of my favorite eat out places. We went to Joe's crab shack and I dove into a steampot full of steamed crab. Yummo! Substituted the potatoes with some steamed broccoli and had enough carbs I could enjoy that little piece of corn on the cob. My blood sugar after dinner...115, so I am very happy with that!

Where does everyone like to go when they eat out and what are some good choices?

Cheers
Pam
I love O'Charley's but I have a hard time with their menu. I only go out to eat a few times a month. I usually end up at Arby's. I will get a medium beef and cheddar. I have to save up my carbs to eat the bun but I so love their beef. I love chicken tenders but there are carbs in the breading. :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
All of the places we enjoy eating out are little local establishments, so I don't know how much good my list will do since there aren't any other outlets. We have a favorite Mexican food restaurant where I actually take along my own high-fiber low-carb tortillas! I get along well ordering their fajitas & asking them to hold the rice/beans.

We also have an excellent sushi restaurant which serves Korean fare as well as Japanese. I dearly love that place & I think we're going there this month for my birthday. I will really need all my willpower to stay away from the sticky rice, but there are so many other choices that I won't go hungry.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love O'Charley's but I have a hard time with their menu. I only go out to eat a few times a month. I usually end up at Arby's. I will get a medium beef and cheddar. I have to save up my carbs to eat the bun but I so love their beef. I love chicken tenders but there are carbs in the breading. :(
Mmmm I looked it up...medium beef and cheddar is 44 carbs. I can do that if I dont have anything else with it. I never thought of Arby's thanks!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the places we enjoy eating out are little local establishments, so I don't know how much good my list will do since there aren't any other outlets. We have a favorite Mexican food restaurant where I actually take along my own high-fiber low-carb tortillas! I get along well ordering their fajitas & asking them to hold the rice/beans.
Excellent Idea about taking my own tortillas. Although I have become a pretty big fan of using lettuce for wraps. It didnt sound very good at first but one of my favorite things to get at the chinese place here is the chicken lettuce wraps...They use minced chicken, and finely chopped carrots, water chestnuts and scallions...stir fry it with a bit of hoisin sauce added and wrap it in lettuce leaves. *drool* pretty lo carb and very yummy.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
One of the entrées at Seoul Garden comes with lettuce for wraps - it's on the Korean menu, but I'm not sure what it's called. I know my sis ordered it one night & it looked delicious! She lived in Korea for a few years & knew what to look for.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the entrées at Seoul Garden comes with lettuce for wraps - it's on the Korean menu, but I'm not sure what it's called. I know my sis ordered it one night & it looked delicious! She lived in Korea for a few years & knew what to look for.
Its really good...I have even used lettuce for wraps for my fajitas or really anything it would work for.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Arby's

Mmmm I looked it up...medium beef and cheddar is 44 carbs. I can do that if I dont have anything else with it. I never thought of Arby's thanks!
I know those onion buns are really high in carbs. But so very good. I usually take the drive thru. That way I don't have to see the curly fries or the cherry turnovers!:)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ooo cherry turnovers.....*drool*

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You guys WOULD have to bring up Arby's! LOL! I've loved Arby's for 40 years.

When I was first diagnosed, I was making Carbquik "buns" with a lot of cream cheese & eggs, and I could swap the Arby's bun for my wee waffles, and still get by with a dab or Horsie & Arby sauce both.

Methinks I'll be making up a new batch of those little waffles soon!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey those sound interesting.....do they taste good? I think I might have to try to make those. Does it come out like a pancake? or more like a bun?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When I use the waffle iron, they seem thicker, even though they have the waffle wells - but those little wells help to hold condiments in place too. They're thinner when made as pancakes, but they all taste the same & it's pretty good. Sometimes I leave out the sweetener & add a little onion powder or other seasonings to change it up a little.

I package 'em two at a time in zip bags & freeze 'em . . . that way I have the makin's of one sandwich whether I'm eating at home, or just tossing 'em in my purse to go to Arby's! heheh . . .

The other thing is that if you make 'em a little bigger, they're perfectly fine used as "real" waffles or pancakes with butter & sugar-free syrup.

Yeah, they're handy to have around. They don't LOOK like buns, but they taste like it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Why we are on the subject of food....has anyone been to Coldstone's for ice cream? That place makes some of the best ice cream & sherbert around. I was there about 4 years ago and boy was it good!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Never been to Coldstone's, but I discovered Breyer's CarbSmart fudge bars last week . . . holy COW whatta treat! Smooth, rich, creamy . . . unbelievably delicious! I ate three of 'em in a row and registered 123 afterward. Jiminy! (we got a box to soothe DH's tooth extraction, but they began melting before we could get home, so we just HADDA eat 'em all! heehee!)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why we are on the subject of food....has anyone been to Coldstone's for ice cream? That place makes some of the best ice cream & sherbert around. I was there about 4 years ago and boy was it good!
I just had to look it up since I miss them sooo much. The smallest strawberry ice cream is 35g carb. Not as bad as I expected. Maybe if I save up enough points one day.....yummy!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Shanny, how many carbs per bar?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow....not bad...I will have to get some of those!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Never been to Coldstone's, but I discovered Breyer's CarbSmart fudge bars last week . . . holy COW whatta treat! Smooth, rich, creamy . . . unbelievably delicious! I ate three of 'em in a row and registered 123 afterward. Jiminy! (we got a box to soothe DH's tooth extraction, but they began melting before we could get home, so we just HADDA eat 'em all! heehee!)
Alright Shanny, this is *your* fault. I am now hopelessly addicted to these bars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts