The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with ppl telling me 'your info is wrong' you need to call Dr.Oz... how I lmao at that one.other ppl posting article from books & newspapers to say I am wrong.:boom:

I guess you really have to pick your battles or just syh & walk away.

Oh this rant is from a Publix FB page that goes on & on how quinoa is the best thing since white bread.How great it is diabetics.:boom:

well they canhave all they want. I will NOT be eating any.

sorry I just had to vent..

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I understand your frustration.

At my time in life - 66 yrs old - I have no desire to enter into these kinds of battles. I would probably just nod my head and let the other person spout their dogma.... and then go my merry way and do my own thing. But that's me. I don't usualy confront people about their (stupid) ideas that I don't agree with.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I believe that Dr. Oz's show is about medicine as I think that Chris Matthews or Anne Coulters are about unbiased news reporting. They are all performers living by the Nielsen numbers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
with ppl telling me 'your info is wrong' you need to call Dr.Oz... how I lmao at that one.other ppl posting article from books & newspapers to say I am wrong.:boom:

I guess you really have to pick your battles or just syh & walk away.

Oh this rant is from a Publix FB page that goes on & on how quinoa is the best thing since white bread.How great it is diabetics.:boom:

well they canhave all they want. I will NOT be eating any.

sorry I just had to vent..

My two cents!!!

If they all know so much why did i have to find this list to get the BEST Diabetic information I have EVER found....

AND

Why did I have to find PEOPLE from this list to tell it to me so I could UNDERSTAND it !!! Hows and why's!!!! Just asking!!!!:D:D:D:D

In my opinion lots of people open their mouths but nothing comes out but a bunch of jibberish people act like they forgot about REAL diabetic's....hahaha Usually my usual response is "are you diabetic?'' followed by what was YOUR last A1C!!!! Just sayin!

Peace, Love, and Happiness!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I understand your frustration.

At my time in life - 66 yrs old - I have no desire to enter into these kinds of battles. I would probably just nod my head and let the other person spout their dogma.... and then go my merry way and do my own thing. But that's me. I don't usualy confront people about their (stupid) ideas that I don't agree with.

I have not yet had to have "the talk" with any misinformed peeps! While walking away is the better decision to make when that time comes, it just isn't in my nature to let bad science dance about. :rolleyes: Therefore, I expect that when the time comes to stay or go, I will stay and educate!!! :eek: I realize that comes from being a biology teacher for 30 years. I may be retired, but my brain isn't!!! :eek:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is really hard for me to keep my mouth shut lol Mouth of the south ya know :laugh:

There is so much mis-info out there & I was one who fell for it.Just by reading crap like that.so yes I have something to say about it,take it or leave it.

I know type 2 who think brown rice & lentils are great. :eek:becuz they where told brown rice is better for you. Lentils are FULL of fiber.:eek:
if it is full whole grains,yup good for you. they eat it then lie their butt to tell you they have aic of 5.4 :lie:

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts

I have not yet had to have "the talk" with any misinformed peeps! While walking away is the better decision to make when that time comes, it just isn't in my nature to let bad science dance about. :rolleyes: Therefore, I expect that when the time comes to stay or go, I will stay and educate!!! :eek: I realize that comes from being a biology teacher for 30 years. I may be retired, but my brain isn't!!! :eek:
I say.... "GO FOR IT!" With your background you should be well able to debunk any bad science.

Most people, however, have no clue that what they are saying isn't good science. (Science??? what's that?!) They are only spouting what they have heard (on Dr. OZ, etc.) or read - or worse yet, what their doctor/nutritionist told them. They hang onto this mis-information thinkin it's the truth, so they will not hear anything that opposes this.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
Shanny said:
That's like saying that a bag of chips is good for us, just because it's better than a twinkie or something! We may be able to squeak by eating some of it, but that doesn't make it 'good' for us! :rolleyes:
Speaking of twinkles, I heard Hostess is going belly up. Must have been a mad dash to hoard what's left because the Hostess shelves were bare at the Walmart.

Reactions: Patdart and Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Most people, however, have no clue that what they are saying isn't good science. (Science??? what's that?!) They are only spouting what they have heard (on Dr. OZ, etc.) or read - or worse yet, what their doctor/nutritionist told them. They hang onto this mis-information thinkin it's the truth, so they will not hear anything that opposes this.
Maybe our first response should be something to the effect of 'can you explain what you mean?' or 'do you know the basis of your contention in this regard?' And when they finish stuttering, go ahead with explaining the science of it all.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I usually will make a comment, but unless I'm asked I do not explain myself to anyone. I have more important things to do in this life of mine than to fight or argue with people who take what these quack doctors and nutritionists have to spout. If I am asked, I will explain why carbs and grains are so terrible for diabetics. I will tell them my history with it as well. If they are truly interested, they listen. If they are not, I see the glazed look in their eyes and shut up. No sense going on if they are really not interested. Let them learn.

Fortunately most of my family is on board with the low carbing. My sister's are both eating less carbs and so is my husband. My children as well are watching. That's all I can hope for. Oh, so is my best friend. That's what I call loyalty!

And yes Hostess did go belly up and from what I've read, the shelves at many stores are empty as people made their mad dash for those twinkies and king dongs and ho-ho's. Hope they have big freezers...

Reactions: MCS

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Nothing better for a growing boy than a box full of ding dongs and a bag of synders potato chips. Sorry to see them go.

Another example is my SNL, she has had numerous surgeries on her stomach to try and correct numerous surgeries on her stomach, yea she is in a revolving doctors money pit of milking the insurance companies. She now has been Dxed with GastroP. I tried to talk with her about what to do and what to take, she was completely ignorant of what I was saying. SHe kept saying things like, my doctor says, he wants me to. Right now she's eating animal crackers every 2 hours and thats it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I constantly get the " a lady I work with keeps fun size candy bars at her desk and she is diabetic" or "I heard that ____ will cure diabetes".

I used to try and explain but I gave that up. The blank stares and the "but they said on Dr. Oz" showed me they weren't listening. They just know better than me, the person who reads about it and deals with it on a daily basis. I swear they even think I want this as I am not willing to get a gastric bypass or eat fun size candy bars.

You show me a diabetic eating fun size candy bars and I will run my A1C against theirs any day. I just let them spew their nonsense and thank them for their concern while avoiding any further discussion. As if I am going to take medical advice on diabetes from a non diabetic. Hell, my old doctor even believed I should be able to eat whatever I want and if I couldn't, I just needed more meds.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
yeah this is one of the "healthy" foods I started making prior to diagnosis and according to my meter I shouldn't be eating it anymore :( that was pretty disappointing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts