The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in April, I went to the doctor and my A1C was down to 6.0. The doctor told me to quit testing every morning because "there are no studies that prove daily testing will help with control." I KNEW at the time that I should not stop testing, but I went along with him and figured I might do OK.
You all know what happened next... a little treat here and there, skip a day of exercise, go on vacation... it all adds up. I never went completely stupid, but I didn't keep up with diet or exercise like I had been. I randomly tested my blood in the mornings, but never after I had been "bad." Now I am avoiding going back for my 6-month checkup because I'm sure by tests will not be good. Maybe that's the kick in the pants I need?
I got back track with exercise about a month ago but haven't lost any more weight. At least I didn't gain any during the "dark months." Now I've started testing again in the mornings... today was 105. I'm not looking for sympathy, but maybe some inspiration would be nice. So many people here seem to do everything right, day after day, and I just feel like I lost control. Has anyone else been in this situation and got back on track?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Many times! I've been there and back. It is spilled milk. You need to just pick yourself back up and get on track again. And, I am sure everyone on this forum has been there. We are after all just human. We do make mistakes. Besides, 105 is not that bad for a morning number. You just need to buckle down and get it to where you feel comfortable with it. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'd say I have to get back on track at least once a week. I can't imagine that I could do everything right day after day - just not wired that way!

You are not a failure - your fasting may be higher than you like, but it looks good to me. All I have to suggest is don't take your doc too seriously. Unless he's diabetic himself, he has not the remotest idea how much testing helps us!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
As with others I use my meter as a reward benefit for my actions. It will tell you if you are doing good or not so good. You are definitely not a failure, the doc that told you that testing was unwarranted, maybe.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
None of us are perfect and we all go though what you are going through. Anyone that says they haven't aren't human. I find when I go on vacation I ease up on testing because I know I am going to cheat here and there and don't want to see the number. My doctor said the same thing to me and that I really didn't need to test at all. He told me if I needed to test, 2 x week was more than enough. But what these doctors don't understand the testing keeps us honest. We need that affirmation of a good bg or the kick in the pants with a bad bg. 105 is a great fasting bg, much better than mine this morning.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Every day is a chance to start over!

·
Registered
78 Posts
"flling off the wagon" is something that happens to the best of us. It's how you handle it that makes the difference. Beating yourself up does no good for anyone. Just tell yourself mistakes happen and tomorrow is a new day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
exactly, life is life and text book is text book, do you best. What i have learned so far that this isnt science its about doing the best you can. it will never be perfect but you can try try try. and oh yeah these people here are great. they are the encouragement we all need :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I think it's your doc who needs a kick in the pants! :evil:

As for your Good Self ... none of us is perfect. 105 is miles away from the worst fasting you can get.

Welcome back to the wagon! Maybe next time, you can give me a hand back up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words! I was really feeling like a fool for eating the junk when I KNEW what it would do to me. Back on the wagon!:eek:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was thinking of the complications what diabetes will do to us? liver, kidney, heart failures, lose you leg etc etc.. ( what else? I am sure you guys can name a few more)

Does it sounds scary to us ? (I am sure it does!)

To leave this world and die is nothing.. but to live with it without a leg or need kidney dialysis 3 to 4 times a week is a PAIN!!

Do we want our loved ones to suffer with us? do we think it is fair for them if we dont get things right now? Do we want to see our love ones cry beside our grave??

These are the reasons I am telling myself to buck up the socks and not let my love ones suffer or cry infront of my grave!!

If the Rest in this forum can do it and someone still survive over 60 yrs of diabetes and still alive I AM SURE we can do it! (Sorry to mention you Richard, But I think you are a very Good example of Us)

It is our life and how we want it to be!!

PS: Before you do anything bad to your health, THINK OF YOUR LOVE ONES! If not, Think HARDER!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i can see why some people would be able to "cheat".

i for one just can't bring myself to cheat. i did think about having a half a pound of cheese in one sitting recently, but decided against it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i can see why some people would be able to "cheat".

i for one just can't bring myself to cheat. i did think about having a half a pound of cheese in one sitting recently, but decided against it.
Cheddar is only .4 grams carbs per ounce. 1/2 lb. is 8 ounces so it'd be 3.2 ounces of carbs.

How would eating a half pound of cheese be cheating in terms of low carb?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts