The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a flu shot Sep 4th and several days later I started feeling poorly. I have nausea off and on, muscle aches all over and a slight headache. The pharmacist said it was not a live virus so I probably wouldn't feel anything except soreness at the injection site. Are there ever exceptions to his statement and people do experience a mild case of flu-like symptoms?

My BG numbers are a bit off too, mainly tending toward the higher side even though my appetite is way down.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I always seem to get sick after flu shots. I know it is not a live virus but it seems I get a cold and am achy for about a week or so. Last year I even decided to skip the shot because of it. I haven't decided whether I am going to get one this year.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always seem to get sick after flu shots. I know it is not a live virus but it seems I get a cold and am achy for about a week or so. Last year I even decided to skip the shot because of it. I haven't decided whether I am going to get one this year.

jwags - I'm sorry that you also have this reaction. But I'm grateful you've taken time to respond to my post because I was beginning to feel like I'm really old and useless and that I've lost my mind. I mean the pharmacist said it wasn't a live virus, and probably for most people it doesn't bother them.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It makes me sick, too, so I just don't take one. I asked my pulmonologist last year if that was an error, and he said no if it made me sick....he seems to think some of us may be allergic to something in it. I've only had the true flu once in 71 years, when my Dad and I had it at the same time, so I don't feel I have to have it. I do stay current with my pneumonia shots tho'.

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Dunno but just maybe if you are slow to heal then challenging your dysfunctional immune system with even a dead virus might not be a great idea.

Just saying ...

ColaJim

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess that is what I get for listening to conventional medical advice that says Diabetics should have the flu shot :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have always avoided the flue shot. the last one i got was because the Army told me i had to. since i left military service i have not had a flue shot, and dont really intend on changing that.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I used to get flu shots because the doctor told me I should being diabetic. When they had a shortage of flu vaccines I did not get one and managed just fine without it. When the swine flu was very active, my whole family came down with it one right after the other, including me. I do remember moaning in bed, sweating with 104 fever! But, I had it for about 4-5 days bad, and then it took a good 3 weeks before it was completely gone. I survived. I do not as a rule get flu shots. Too many bad negative stories heard regarding them. Unless I was really affected by the diabetes as far as other problems, I wouldn't get it. I do however go the pneumonia shot every 5 years. Besides, the flu shot only covers one strain of flu. There are so many strains it is impossible to inocculate for all of them. Hope you feel better Strawberry. Just stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a little more than a week, I am finally having less body aches, headaches and generally I feel a little better, so I'm grateful. Don't know about next year, will have to think long and hard about that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It shouldn't give you the flu, but if can cause side effects -

From the CDC website (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm):

What are the side effects that could occur?

Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
Fever (low grade)
Aches

The intradermal flu shot may cause other additional mild side effects including:

Toughness and itching where the shot was given

If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last one to two days.

~~~

Another note would be to avoid places that are giving out the nasal spray, or people who have had that type of vaccine. That IS a live virus and the people who have had it can act as carriers for the flu for up to three weeks.

I about flipped my lid when they were giving the nasal spray vaccine at my kids' school. I mean, hundreds of kids, runny noses, shared surfaces...

I don't give my kids the flu vaccine for a reason, just as my husband and I don't get it... but I don't intentionally expose them to it either and the nasal spray just makes me want to twitch.

They highly recommended I get one last winter while pregnant... but there were over 4,000 mothers who reported a miscarriage shortly after receiving the vaccine, so there was no way.

My son had a severe reaction to his DTaP vaccine when he was 4 months old, so we've become a little wary of taking every jab they'll give us.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The last time I got a flu shot - maybe 8 years ago - I coincidentally got the flu a week later. Real flu - high, high fever, aching muscles, gooey cough, the works. My brother-in-law and I had it at the same time. Since we worked together and neither of us was smart enough to stay home, we spent many fun hours wondering at just how much sweat and goo the human body could produce. I lived to tell the tale and decided to take my chances without the shots again.

Jen

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The last time I got a flu shot - maybe 8 years ago - I coincidentally got the flu a week later. Real flu - high, high fever, aching muscles, gooey cough, the works. My brother-in-law and I had it at the same time. Since we worked together and neither of us was smart enough to stay home, we spent many fun hours wondering at just how much sweat and goo the human body could produce. I lived to tell the tale and decided to take my chances without the shots again.

Jen
Sounds like you and your BIL definitely did not have a fun time of it. Just out of curiosity - how long did your flu last? I've heard people say they felt simply awful for a week or more and did not fully recover for almost a month.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts