The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a first for me. Its now 2:50 a.m. And I haven't been able to sleep at all. As soon as I tried, I felt nauseous and had to sit up for a bit. The nausea is being accompanied by a cold sweat. Ever since my heart attack I've been scared of a reoccurrence or the appearance of something worse. Anyway, it looks like I will be awake and posting here on the forums until this passes.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Dang - nausea and sweats are not Good Things. Were you not feeling well earlier in the day or it just started in the night? Is this how your heart event happened, or ... could you be pregnant? I know, your wife is pregnant and this could be described as the most literal interpretation of 'we're' pregnant.

Oh, I hope this subsides soon. Nausea is the worst.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feeling ok now. Nobody is pregos! Lol. I felt the same a few days ago while eating and then yesterday while eating as well but completely different foods that I normally can eat perfectly fine. Yesterday, however, the food (eggplant stuffed with ground chuck and cheese, salad and water to drink) spiked me very quickly (went from 5.4 to 7.6 just during the meal). I then returned to normal one hour later. Fast forward to past 2 am in the morning and I'm feeling like crap again. It's now noon and I feel fine but I will have to keep an eye on everything to make sure it was only a one time thing and not something to be concerned about.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very unsettling! Have you checked your blood pressure too? I've had issues with BP and it gave me nausea and cold sweats.

Hope you're on the mend! Take good care!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I get those same symptoms in the middle of the night if I go low. Have you checked your bgl when you feel that way?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Joan - I checked my BG level right away when I started feeling nauseous and was at 4.6 (83). I don't have the ability to check my blood pressure at this point but I have never had blood pressure problems before. I will, however, pick up a BP testing kit so I can check it whenever I need.

@ Moon - My heart attack began with shortness of breath and extreme pain in my back (between the shoulder blades). I felt none of that last night. I was feeling fine during the day until dinner with the eggplant but felt the same just after dinner (nauseous and sweaty) and had the BG level change I mentioned earlier. That went away but returned after 2 am. I also felt nauseous during dinner a few days ago but that disappeared shortly after dinner and I am not sure if any of these events are related in any way. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on things and see if becomes a recurring thing. If so, then I'll have to make an appointment with my doc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting post, I have a similar (I think) issue. At times, I go to bed shivering cold, nearly uncontrollably. I can barely walk or hold anything b/c she shivering is so bad. No matter how many blankets I put on, still cannot get warm. Eventually, I fall asleep and a couple hours later wake up sweating like a pig and can't fall back asleep, even with no covers whatsoever. Prior to taking Metformin, never had this issue before. This happened again last night - didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, didn't test BGL (couldn't keep meter steady).

This has happened probably 3-4 times in the last 2 years, no explanation why. Doc is clueless, says it's not the Met. Anyone have similar issue? Know what it might be?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I hadn't checked my BG level and found it to be sitting at 4.6 last night then I would immediately have assumed my experience to be a hypo however, two things invalidate that possibility. First, as mentioned, my level stood at 4.6 and second, I have never ever had a hypo since my diagnosis...never even close to having one. Now that doesn't mean I could never have one in the future but it is extremely unlikely considering my BG level at the time. I'm not on any meds to lower my BG levels so Metformin is not a possible culprit.

Other possibility is Induction flu but since this was something that lasted hours, not days, then I highly doubt it was the reason.

@beaner293 - Try to get a Bg reading next time you experience it. Yours sounds more typically of a hypo but without Bg numbers to validate it, it's just a claim. Did you also feel nausea at the same time?

I avoided eating the leftover stuffed eggplant this evening and feel fine up to this point. My BG level before dinner was 5.3 (95) and right now is sitting at 5.4 (two hours PP).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts