The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site. I apologize if this post is lengthy. I feel so misunderstood and overwhelmed right now.

I was misdiagnosed as type 2 last year. Properly diagnosed as a type 1.5. Found myself in the ER with DKA. Luckily, I was able to receive two bags of fluid and sent home. I function on Metformin 500 BID.

Since my diagnosis, I cut ties with two PCP's and one Endo. The first PCP misdiagnosed, the second PCP asked when I started insulin:confused:, and the Endo mishandled my thyroid situation.

I was diagnosed with a goiter and sent to ultrasound. A few weeks later, I underwent a FNB. Three nodules were in question. Lab results returned one nodule benign, two cystic but non-diagnosed. Too much blood on wet mounts. Benign nodule has hurtle cells. Last TSH panel was May, 2009. I felt my thyroid enlarge early fall , 2009. Endo did not perform new TSH panel nor looked into Hashimotos. I have many of the hallmarks for Hashimotos including the family history of thyroid issues (born with a toxic goiter). Immunity conditions appear in clusters. I was so frustrated with this Endo I left.

I've also had numerous dental issues. I've lost three molar root canals at the gum line. They are next to each other. Surgical extractions:mad:. Dentist insists implants. I disagree for several reasons. A heart condition limits what novocaine I can tolerate and I have severe sensitivity to medication. The top three "dental antibiotics" have caused symptoms from allergies to tachycardia. I want a partial denture. I am concerned this dentist is not reacting to my diabetic condition properly. Two of this molars could have been removed earlier had he had not sat on a medical consult. I am very concerned about infection.

I lost a year of school due to Diabetes. I returned last week to campus and cried. I do think I properly mourned the person who walked there before and who I am now. The person who suffered debilitating panic attacks, infections, bouts of dizzy spells, etc. I had to apply at the disabilities department. Me? Disabled? What? I am not in a wheel chair.

I felt very sick the week before classes started. I had to run up and down stairs to keep my blood sugar in check.

I feel like a health :boom: waiting to go off. No one around me understands type 1 diabetes, my frustration with the medical community, and why school has been so difficult to return to.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello jswede, welcome to our community! All of those doctors and their misdiagnosing ......I have read about so many diabetics having that peoblem. Do you have a good endo now? I sure hope so, that is very important. Once you get your diabetes under good control, some of your other problems may improve, or even disappear. It worked that way for me. Dental problems are very common among diabetics who run a lot of high blood sugar. Are you having a lot of highs? I had some neuropathy and retinopathy a few years ago when I was having higher blood sugar, but now I rarely have highs and all of my complications are gone.

Let us know how you are doing as time progresses. Ask all the questions you want. Good luck in school!

Richard

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My last A1C was 5.9%. My 90 day average is 95. I think some of the dental problems are related from the period before my numbers stabilized.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It is good to hear that your numbers are so good now. I agree that your higher numbers may be causing your dental problems now. As long as your numbers stay as good as they are now you should have better results each year when you visit your dentist.

·
Registered
100 Posts
"I feel like a health bomb waiting to go off."

I totally understand that feeling, jswede1149. My health bomb has been going off in little pops over the past year and I keep waiting to see if the thing is finished going off. The many doctors I have seen over the past year have all looked at their little "pop" and not what is causing the whole explosion. I am hoping the endo will have answers. We shall see.

Hang in there, and know that there are people here who understand and will support you.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Long posts are good sometimes - we need to get things off our chests! We're here to support you!

Your numbers are really good now, jswede, and I hope you'll see some improvement in some of these medical issues due to having controlled your BG. Amazing how far-reaching the effects can be from one single element like soaring blood glucose.

And here's to you finding a good doc too. That's one of the biggest assets a patient can have is a doc who listens to us & works with us. Best wishes to you and keep us posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts