The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since just before lunch I've felt a bit weird. Bit dizzy and slight head ache and my ears are ringing. Checked my blood just after eating about an hr ago now and it was at 5.7. Could this be diabetes related or just a bit of a freak out moment :)

Ate about an hour ago and still the problem persists.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you are 5.7 after eating that is a very normal reading. It sounds more like you may have something like an ear infection. I would definitely check it out with a doctor. I am confused are you a diabetic or pre diabetic? Sometimes when we first normalise bgs our body may not be used to normal numbers and we feel kind of dizzy and light headed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can hear again! Think that must have just been some kinda weird body malfunction. Whilst my bg has been dropping recently I have been getting head aches and slight dizziness I just put this down to my body being cold turkey at the moment as bloods were always normal/high so didn't think I'd be hypo.

See how I get on over next few weeks as I have my first appt with the consultant, nurse and dietician on the 13th may.

O

·
0 Posts
Scott, it could just be that your body isn't used to being lower with the BGLs... you mentioned your BGLs have been running high. Also another consideration is that you may have had a sudden spike in BGLs and then a sudden drop. When we get quick changes in our BGLs that can make us feel unwell too. If you're eating any carbs at all... try and stick to the low GI options which should mean you don't get those sudden spikes and sudden drops. But then as others have said it could be something else entirely. If it continues, see your doc.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Scott? If by "made up", you mean you rewarded yourself for the low reading by eating more carbs than planned, be sure you think it through before you adopt this practice! It's tailor-made to have a deleterious effect on your BGs & your overall health. Just sayin' . . . ;)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Since just before lunch I've felt a bit weird. Bit dizzy and slight head ache and my ears are ringing. Checked my blood just after eating about an hr ago now and it was at 5.7. Could this be diabetes related or just a bit of a freak out moment :)

Ate about an hour ago and still the problem persists.
Just out of curiosity...when is the last time you had your blood pressure checked? That can certainly cause the symptoms you just described.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warning shanny, but no. I'd already bought and chose my lunch. At the moment I do eat quite a few carbs I think but these are low GI carbs.

My day today (boring but if any of you want to read and give me feedback that would be great) :D

8am out of bed reading of 7.4 lowest fasting since I started testing 4weeks back
8.15 - 40mg glicozide.

9.30 pre breakfast reading of 8.1
Oats, flax & seed mix, banana & cinnamon with semi-skimmed milk and cup of green tea.

10.36 - reading of 11.7 :( I love my b.fast but that spike has to go!!!

13.00 - pre lunch reading of 4.6 :D

M&S crayfish, mango and rocket salad with coconut and chilli dressing. Edamame beans.

14.15 - reading 7.6

15.10 - 5.4

Green tea and an apple

16.20 - 6.4

Nutrigrain bar

18.50 - pre dinner 5.8 + 40mg Glicazide

Carrots, sweed, spinach

Birdseye reggae reggae chicken

Sweet potato oven wedges in aspells red wine vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, chilli, garlic and smoked paprika.

Yum yum!

19.50 - 6.5

21.00 - 6.5

Green tea :D
I've also drank a little over 3lts of water throughout the day which is the recommended amount for my weight.

And in bed now at 22.04 - 5.7

Night night all. Please let me know where I can improve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
onaughmae said:
Just out of curiosity...when is the last time you had your blood pressure checked? That can certainly cause the symptoms you just described.
About 4weeks back at the dr.s it was normal. I work with a nurse so will see if she can appropriate a test machine for a day :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your breakfast spike will diminish when you dump the oatmeal, bananas & skim milk (milk is loaded with carbs but whole milk has fewer than skim).

The mango at lunch prob'ly bumped you up too, and you'd have to check the carb count in the salad dressing - it sounds like it might be a sweet dressing. The crayfish alone shouldn't be bad, but what does "M&S" stand for?

The rest of the day looks better although several of the other things that COULD hurt are the apple, Nutrigrain bar, swede, Reggae sauce . . . even the carrots could hurt. If you get a carb counting guide, you'll be able to get tighter control . . . until you actually gain control, it might be better to watch carbs instead of the GI ranking.

Thanks for the warning shanny, but no. I'd already bought and chose my lunch. At the moment I do eat quite a few carbs I think but these are low GI carbs.

My day today (boring but if any of you want to read and give me feedback that would be great) :D

8am out of bed reading of 7.4 lowest fasting since I started testing 4weeks back
8.15 - 40mg glicozide.

9.30 pre breakfast reading of 8.1
Oats, flax & seed mix, banana & cinnamon with semi-skimmed milk and cup of green tea.

10.36 - reading of 11.7 :( I love my b.fast but that spike has to go!!!

13.00 - pre lunch reading of 4.6 :D

M&S crayfish, mango and rocket salad with coconut and chilli dressing. Edamame beans.

14.15 - reading 7.6

15.10 - 5.4

Green tea and an apple

16.20 - 6.4

Nutrigrain bar

18.50 - pre dinner 5.8 + 40mg Glicazide

Carrots, sweed, spinach

Birdseye reggae reggae chicken

Sweet potato oven wedges in aspells red wine vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, chilli, garlic and smoked paprika.

Yum yum!

19.50 - 6.5

21.00 - 6.5

Green tea :D
I've also drank a little over 3lts of water throughout the day which is the recommended amount for my weight.

And in bed now at 22.04 - 5.7

Night night all. Please let me know where I can improve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts