The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, haven't been by in awhile for various reasons but I have a question and I know you folks will give me good answers.

After 'falling off the wagon' for a bit, I'm getting things back in line somewhat.

My bg last night after dinner was 139 or something like that, which is close to normal, right?

This morning, the fasting bg was 159, which is obviously high. I took my metformin and had some toast and peanut butter for breakfast.

I'm at work and don't have my meter but I'm feeling really queasy. I think I remember reading that sometimes as your body is adjusting to lower (i.e. normal) bgs you feel like you are going too low, even when you aren't. Is that right?

My doc started me on some new meds (cymbalta) and I'm wondering if that's causing the queasiness too.

Any advice/input?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I used to take cymbalta, but can't remember queasy as one of the side-effects. Yes, a 'flu' like feeling is side effect of lower bg. Takes a few days to wear off, but doubt that's it since you had toast for b'fast as well as a high FG.

Bottom line, take your meter to wherever you go...good luck! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to take cymbalta, but can't remember queasy as one of the side-effects. Yes, a 'flu' like feeling is side effect of lower bg. Takes a few days to wear off, but doubt that's it since you had toast for b'fast as well as a high FG.

Bottom line, take your meter to wherever you go...good luck! Keep us posted.
Thanks Patdart - I will put that meter in my purse from now on. I've been really lax on testing and everything and now that I'm trying to be good, I forget! I'm afraid I'll forget when it's in my purse but I'll have to set an alarm on my cell or something.

The thing I worry about is that I'm not on a 'schedule'. For example, I take a synthroid and test my FG when I get up in the morning, around 6:30 am.

Before I leave for work (between 8 and 8:30) I take the rest of my morning meds (2-500mg Metformin, an antibiotic, and now the cymbalta).

Today, I didn't eat breakfast until around 10:30am. It was shortly after that I started feeling queasy and decided to eat a pear I had brought for lunch.

It's now 2:08 and I've eaten two small tangerines since then, and I have wheat thins and laughing cow for lunch but I haven't eaten that yet.

It's really really hard for me to maintain a specific schedule and I wonder if I'll ever really be regulated that way.

Are you newly back on Metformin too? Because it can cause stomach/bowel upset.

I have indeed had feelings of being "low" and checked my BG to find that it wasn't the case. I do think your body will adjust soon to the new lower-carb diet. Hang in there!
Thanks silvertiger, I never really stopped the metformin, just kinda reduced the dosage for a few days until I got the refill. I've been on 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening for over a month now.

And although I'm trying I'm not sure I'm quite low-carb yet!;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And although I'm trying I'm not sure I'm quite low-carb yet!;)
You do have a ways to go before you get to low-carb . . . between the toast, pears, tangerines & wheat thins, you may be having reactive lows. All those carbs can send your BG soaring, which directs your poor pancreas to pump up insulin, but in its impaired state, it may get too little or too much insulin. On the days when it gets too little, you stay high, but on the days when it gets too much, you come crashing to earth with low bg. You could try swapping out the fruit & bread products for avocados, more cheese, nuts . . . anything that isn't loaded with carbs. Do you have a carb counter?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do have a ways to go before you get to low-carb . . . between the toast, pears, tangerines & wheat thins, you may be having reactive lows. All those carbs can send your BG soaring, which directs your poor pancreas to pump up insulin, but in its impaired state, it may get too little or too much insulin. On the days when it gets too little, you stay high, but on the days when it gets too much, you come crashing to earth with low bg. You could try swapping out the fruit & bread products for avocados, more cheese, nuts . . . anything that isn't loaded with carbs. Do you have a carb counter?
Avocados? ewwww!!!

Cheese is okay but too much of it kinda grosses me out.

Nuts are okay but too many of them and my stomach gets weird (I have diverticulosis).

This is why I can't wait to see the nutriotionist because even though I never considered myself a picky eater, I think maybe I am a little. And of course, I'm also an unhealthy eater...obviously!

I've found a bunch of carb counters online but haven't looked at them too closely.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I hope you can find a nutritionist who recomends low carb. They are few and far between. The problem with carbs is that they raise your bgs just as fast as pure sugar. Many dieticians recomend a higher carb /low fat diet. What we find as diabetics is that that keeps our bgs way too high. The 139 is just under the max for a diabetic after meals. Actually I like my 2 hour number to be much lower, 110-120 or thereabouts. If I go above that then my morning bgs are way too high. What happens when you eat too many carb is that the extra get stored as glycogen in your liver. During the early morning hours your body produces stress hormones like cortisol, adrenaline and growth hormone. These hormones signal the liver that you need glucose to wake up so the liver converts this glycogen back into pure glucose. This is what we call Dawn Phenomeno or DP. The queasy feeling could be from your new med or it could be from a bg spike and crashing bgs. It is usually the speed of the crash that gives you that lightheaded, queasy feeling. I always test when I get that feeling just to make sure it is not a real low that needs to be treated. It is usually quite high.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope you can find a nutritionist who recomends low carb. They are few and far between.
Crap! I hope so too!

I just figured that since my endo endorsed the low carb stuff that the nutrionist that works with her (actually in her office) would too!

The 139 last night was about 45 minutes after eating.

Thanks jwags. As Patdart suggested I'm going to carry my meter with me and test more often or when I feel weird to see what's going on.

Just 29 days 'til I see the nutritionist/dietician/whatever she is. I'll see the endo that day too.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
As Shanny said, avoid the carbs and try to eat less bread, fruit, etc. and see if that feelings abates in the meantime. Avocadoes taste good to me if I use some lime and salt on it helps a lot. I think it can be an acquired taste, but is pretty filling and full of fat which will make you feel fuller. I also carry peeled, boiled eggs when I travel, maybe you can tuck some in your purse along with your nuts? Look at our recipes and make yourself some of Optimist's crackers and eat them with peanut butter or some cheese you like (even cream cheese is good on them) and other ways of eating some good cheese. Going low carb isn't that hard when you get your head around sat fats not being BAD!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again Patdart (and Shanny too!).

I'm trying very hard to take all your advice to heart and not find excuses and reasons why I can't try things.

You know, several weeks ago when this all started for me, I thought I had the tiger by the tail and I was gonna show the world how easy it could be. :pound:

Then my world kinda crashed...:(

And now I'm trying to find a new normal and get my mind back on the right track and realizing that I was fooling myself before.

I remember there's the What's for dinner and stuff threads and I need to take some ideas from there (but those threads do make me hungry!).

Thanks for being patient with me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks again Patdart (and Shanny too!).

I'm trying very hard to take all your advice to heart and not find excuses and reasons why I can't try things.

You know, several weeks ago when this all started for me, I thought I had the tiger by the tail and I was gonna show the world how easy it could be. :pound:

Then my world kinda crashed...:(

And now I'm trying to find a new normal and get my mind back on the right track and realizing that I was fooling myself before.

I remember there's the What's for dinner and stuff threads and I need to take some ideas from there (but those threads do make me hungry!).

Thanks for being patient with me.
Hang in there Bessy Bell! I was just like you in the beginning. The carb flu almost killed me, then I had metformin morning sickness now I am slowly accepting the Big D. Still obsessing but accepting it! Stick around, this forum has been a lifesaver for me. And I ditched my nutritionist. I do lchf and have lost 51 lbs since this summer.

Stinky Jenn
working on her OCD

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You guys are killing me! I do eat all the right stuff and my bg's just aren't getting better lately. I do not know what is going on! I ate two string cheeses for breakfast this morning (I'm not a big breakfast eater) and I'm sure my numbers will still be high. I'm really trying not to have to use more insulin than is necessary because that puts on weight. I also think I'm fighting an infection or something because I keep going between having a voice and having barely a voice. I've been very tired lately as well so I'm trying to get as much rest as I can. I try to listen to what my body is telling me, but with bg's being on the high side that can also cause the fatigue. ARGH! I like to use optimists crackers with some CO, cinnamon, and a little sweetener on them. Yum. I need to make more crackers today. BTW, where has Optimist been? I haven't seen her on the threads lately. She is usually always a great source to go to for some good eats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.