The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird day. I do have a mild cold, and I'm guessing that's why my morning fasting was 6.2 (112)... It hovered in the 6's most of today... until supper.

Supper was relatively mild: Tacos in high fiber/low-carb tortillas (3 net carbs). Usually this meal hardly affects my BG's at all. But 2 hrs after, I was 8.8 (159) and 9.1 (164) on two tests... :eek:

So I do my usual thing: Hopped on my exercise bike to bring my BG's down. I only pedaled for 15 minutes, and that included my warmup and cooldown. I barely broke a sweat, but had to stop earlier than normal and without as much activity as normal because I was feeling like CRAP barely 10 minutes in.

When I got off, I tested and was down to 4.8 (86) ... (and yeah, I retested to confirm that #).... that's a huge drop for only 15 minutes. I think a drop that fast in that short amount of time is what caused me to feel sick, but I don't know.

I can't understand why I'd drop 4 full points (72+ points on the USA scale) in only a few minutes from such little exercise.

I took a shower, hoping I'd feel better. Then tested again 15 minutes after, and I was back up to 6.2 (112) ... I'm guessing my liver didn't like the fast drop and pumped some glucose back in me.

This is THE CRAZIEST day I've ever had with my BG's ... does anyone have any advice, or any ideas as to why this is happening?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Weird day. I do have a mild cold, and I'm guessing that's why my morning fasting was 6.2 (112)... It hovered in the W's most of today... until supper.

Supper was relatively mild: Tacos in high fiber/low-carb tortillas (3 net carbs). Usually this meal hardly affects my Bag's at all. But 2 hrs after, I was 8.8 (159) and 9.1 (164) on two tests... :eek:

So I do my usual thing: Hopped on my exercise bike to bring my Bag's down. I only pedaled for 15 minutes, and that included my warm up and cool down. I barely broke a sweat, but had to stop earlier than normal and without as much activity as normal because I was feeling like CRAP barely 10 minutes in.

When I got off, I tested and was down to 4.8 (86) ... (and yeah, I retested to confirm that #).... that's a huge drop for only 15 minutes. I think a drop that fast in that short amount of time is what caused me to feel sick, but I don't know.

I can't understand why I'd drop 4 full points (72+ points on the USA scale) in only a few minutes from such little exercise.

I took a shower, hoping I'd feel better. Then tested again 15 minutes after, and I was back up to 6.2 (112) ... I'm guessing my liver didn't like the fast drop and pumped some glucose back in me.

This is THE CRAZIEST day I've ever had with my Bag's ... does anyone have any advice, or any ideas as to why this is happening?
beefy, I thought I was the only one with crazy days! Your physical health can affect your blood glucose. What type of meal you ate will affect your blood glucose. I notice When I go to Taco Bell and have tacos, that my digestion slows down more than normal, I am eating more fat that I usually eat at mealtime. I buy the leanest beef on the shelf but I know that Taco Bell doesn't use 93/7 beef. Grease from the meal has run down my hands and I find that disgusting, but I love the taste and usually don't make my own tacos. With all the fat in tacos, it could cause a delay in digestion and then that would mean that you will get a higher reader later than the 2 hour test recommendation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just like breezy, I also have days where I scratch my head and think my meter has "lost it." The diabetes educator and my GP both said when your sick, the b/g levels have a tendency to be higher than usual. I guess that's the body's way of reacting to illness. Also, I know stress plays a big role in your b/g levels. I had a stressful day on THU, didn't sleep well and my levels were 120 FRI AM vs. the normal mid-80's.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As said when you are sick or injured your immune system senses an attack. Your body tries to prevent this attack by converting stored glycogen into glucose. So even without eating I usually see a bg liver dump when I am sick. There isn't a lot to do about it. It seemed the exercise did its job, but way too fast. When we exercise our muscles can use glucose without the use of insulin. Your muscles just sucked up all that extra glucose. When I used to do hour exercise classes in the gym I have felt that way after about 30 minutes of exercise. I usually all of a sudden feel like someone pulled the rug out from under me and I feel like crap. That is when I usually get a secondary liver dump so I don't go too low.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder sometimes if it will just take a while for my body to get used to being 'low' (compared to normal)

I get liver dumps when I'm nowhere NEAR hypoglycemia, but my body is so used to being hyper that I sometimes think that when it sees a drop to the 4.x range (70's) that it *thinks* I'm hypo, and reacts to it.

Maybe when I've had a few more months where my norms are in the 6's (under 120) and my fastings are in the 4's (70's-80's) it won't think that a 4.5 is cause for panic...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts