The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a non diabetic's blood sugar flucuate all day too? For example, before lunch I was 76, one hour after I was 102 (is that jump bad?), then two hours later I was 83. Now I am 70 but missed my afternoon snack and feel hypo. I am eating something now but geez, will I always have to eat every 3-4 hours? And what exactly does metformin do? I just started taking my second 500 mg extended release pill in the morning and my appetite is ZERO! Sorry to be a drama queen. I guess I just need some support and my husband is working late.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yep, metformin can curb your appetite - for me that's a GOOD thing - I go ahead & eat, but not nearly as much as I would have before. Like tonight, we had omelets for dinner; husband says he'll have a two-egg omelet. No way in the world could I eat a two-egg omelet! So I make a little one-egg omelet which is barely big enough to fold & even that is a big meal for me.

Besides curbing your appetite, your metformin is helping your cells access the insulin that's floating around in your bloodstream, and that's helping with the nice low numbers you're getting. I really don't see any wild swings, Jenn . . . non-diabetics prob'ly don't vary any less than you are now. Those are very good numbers!

As for eating every 3-4 hours, just keep a handful of nuts in your pocket & nibble on those. It doesn't have to be a significant amount - just enough that your liver recognizes you've eaten something & doesn't start cranking out glucose without permission.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Shanny! I wish you were here to give me a big hug! I keep reminding myself that I am still new to all of this and that I need to be patient but it is hard. I got my zoloft (anti depressant) increased today so maybe that will help!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Your numbers are very good for a new diabetic. I would say those numbers are in a normal range. You may not need as much metformin. Talk to your doctor. My bgs usually range from 90-120 during the day. I wish mine were as low as yours. Sending you a great big hug.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Your numbers are very good for a new diabetic. I would say those numbers are in a normal range. You may not need as much metformin. Talk to your doctor. My bgs usually range from 90-120 during the day. I wish mine were as low as yours. Sending you a great big hug.
Thank you jwags! Have I told you guys lately that you ROCK!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great numbers! :)

When I started Metformin my appetite went out the window. After a while your body gets used to it I guess and everything comes back to normal.

Also when I started medication, I was so worried about my numbers that it also contributed to mess up my (usually good) appetite.

It took a good 6 to 8 weeks in my case to feel better and be back to my normal self again.

I don't know if this is actually true but I was told by a nurse that a non diabetic person can go as high as 10 (180) or 12 (216) after a big meal. Mind you, their pancreas kicks in and they don't stay that high for long.

Hang in there! And the very best to you!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great numbers! :)

When I started Metformin my appetite went out the window. After a while your body gets used to it I guess and everything comes back to normal.

Also when I started medication, I was so worried about my numbers that it also contributed to mess up my (usually good) appetite.

It took a good 6 to 8 weeks in my case to feel better and be back to my normal self again.

I don't know if this is actually true but I was told by a nurse that a non diabetic person can go as high as 10 (180) or 12 (216) after a big meal. Mind you, their pancreas kicks in and they don't stay that high for long.

Hang in there! And the very best to you!
Thank you! I keep reminding myself it has only been six weeks since diagnosis. I have to give myself time. But when your body feels out of whack and you have anxiety; it isn't pretty!!!!! I finally bought some Breyer's carb smart bars and ate some nuts and got my 1,500 calories in for the day. Never thought I would have to struggle to eat enough. Now I know why you guys add coconut oil to everything. Who can eat when taking metfartin?????

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think that nurse was stretching it just a tad: Non-diabetics may register as high as 120 (6.6) in the first hour or two after eating - and this is regardless of WHAT they eat - high carb load or not. What is a Normal Blood Sugar?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think that nurse was stretching it just a tad: [/URL]
I never trusted that nurse anyway! :D

I tested my husband so many times, thinking I'd teach him a lesson about his (awful) high carb diet. No matter what, I don't think he was ever over 6 (108). Quite frustrating considering that I only look at carbs and my bg goes up :eek:

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 10 of 10 Posts