The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had diabetes (type 2) for years. I guess I have fought it for years as well. I have finally decided that I need to try to take better care of myself. I want to hear from people who are using the solostart injector pen. How many units do you take and how often? I am seeing my endo today and I want her to up my dosage because my numbers are still not good. My daily numbers average in the 300s and my A1C is over 14. Any advice or help would be apprecaited. Also, are any of experiencing pain in your feet. It keeps me up at night. I am sure it is neuropathy. What have you been given to treat the pain. Lyrica didn't work for me and the pain is really bad at times.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, noice. I don't use the SoloStar since I'm not on insulin therapy yet, but it's good to hear you're taking the reins and putting in the effort to control your diabetes. There are many weapons in our arsenal, and insulin isn't the only one. Whatever it takes to reduce your sugar levels, I think you'll be glad you took the trouble. Some of the damage we incur can be reversed, if not completely then partially.

Thank you for joining us and I hope you'll come around often.

(and it's good to hear from Colorado! I have kids in Greeley, Parker and Durango! :cool:)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have had diabetes (type 2) for years. I guess I have fought it for years as well. I have finally decided that I need to try to take better care of myself. I want to hear from people who are using the solostart injector pen. How many units do you take and how often? I am seeing my endo today and I want her to up my dosage because my numbers are still not good. My daily numbers average in the 300s and my A1C is over 14. Any advice or help would be apprecaited. Also, are any of experiencing pain in your feet. It keeps me up at night. I am sure it is neuropathy. What have you been given to treat the pain. Lyrica didn't work for me and the pain is really bad at times.
Nice to have you here...glad you found us but sorry that you need us :) Your story sounds very similar to mine. I have also been T2 diabetic for many years. I was well controlled for many years on diet and oral medications. As my disease progressed and my pancreas finally began to fail me, I knew I needed to go on insulin. I tried to just ignore it and convince myself I was going through a "bad phase" and that it would just get better on its own. Of course, this wasnt true. Finally I had to get to the point where my blood sugars were averaging 350-450, my A1c was 12.6 and I felt so sick I could barely function anymore before I was forced to get a grip on my disease once and for all. I started going to a new endocrinologist and he quickly determined that my pancreas was failing badly and immediately started me on insulin. I hated it...until I started to feel better. I feel better now than I have in years. There is a lot to learn, but you will be so happy that you are getting yourself healthy...its worth it! The Solostar pen is Lantus insulin (a basalar insulin). Think of it as long acting....it covers you for a 24 hour period of time. When I first started taking it, my dose was progressively increased until I was taking 80 units daily. Since then, my sensitivity is starting to return and I am now down to 70 daily. Since you are running so high you might also need a fast-acting insulin such as Humalog before meals, and of course strictly watching your carb intake. I was finally able to get mine under control with a combination of both types of insulin. I would suggest seeing a diabetes educator or dietician to learn how to count your carbs and manage them with your insulin therapy. Your endo's office may have one on staff or can refer you to one.

I was having a lot of numbness then pain in both of my feet...definately neuropathy. My endo did prescribe neurontin for me and it helped some...but the thing that helped the most was getting my blood sugar under control. The neuropathy symptoms did not go away entirely....but the pain did and now I just have a couple of small areas of numbness that are barely even noticeable. Hopefully some of your will reverse also.

Good luck to you and we are always here for advice or even a sympathetic shoulder :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello! I use too many units of Lantus to use to the pen. I use the vial and syringe, you get the same results. I take 80 units of Lantus at 9PM each night. I started on 60 units and then was given the OK by my doctor to increase my dose 2 units per every 3 nights until I reached my target FBS. Within 6 weeks my FBS was 80. I also take oral medication and Novolog for meal coverage. I have severe neuropathy and I was suffering with pain mostly at night. I take Gabapentin, 600MG in the morning and 900MG at bedtime. I have noticed a 90% improvement. I no longer have shooting pain in my feet. I still have numbness, but my foot doctor told me that the numbness is not reversible. I am finally sleeping through the night. I am still adjusting the Gabapentin and one more increase should be all that is needed. You can use as much as 2700MG per day, that is the limit. My foot doctor told me that if the Gabapentin stops working, we can try Lyrica and the if that doesn't work the he will suggest triple nerve release surgery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too a diabetic patient.The most important thing is that u must take care of yourself.be positive and think optimistically.Accept the limitations prescribed for diabetese.walking and yoga will keep you more active.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use the Lantus Solostar, as well. I've had D for about 11 years. I take 18 units each night & my last A1c was 6.3. I expect to have another in two weeks & hope to see some improvement.

Good luck with your regime & your new motivation to get control of this disease. You can certainly do it!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, rabindra kumar dash . . . please come back to tell us more about yourself and how you manage your diabetes.

I too a diabetic patient.The most important thing is that u must take care of yourself.be positive and think optimistically.Accept the limitations prescribed for diabetese.walking and yoga will keep you more active.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, goldengirl! I hope you'll come back & keep us posted on the new test results. Being a veteran of these diabetic "wars", you have a lot to teach some of us newbies.

Thank you for joining us and do please come back to get better acquainted.

take care & be well,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks, Shanny! I didn't mean to "take over" this thread - I'm just learning the forum.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks, Shanny! I didn't mean to "take over" this thread - I'm just learning the forum.
Hi goldengirl...nice to meet ya. No worries about "taking over". Some of us (me included) are quite verbose and talk alot! Heh, I have an opinion on everything sometimes! Not such a bad thing...thats how we all learn from each other :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am determined to get a grip on my disease but it will take awhile. My BS was 599 at lunch and I really haven't eaten that many carbs. My endo has me on 30 units righ tnow but I know I am going to need more. She also mentioned possibly going to a four a day regimen. Yuck!. Thanks again and I will let you know how things go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

I saw my endo yesterday and I am in fairly bad shape. My BS was 599 and my A1C was above 14. Her ability to measure only goes that far. I am seeing a neurologist today and hopefully he will be able to provide some help for the neuropathy pain. Some folks asked for some backgound. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 20 years ago and have never had good control. At one time the lab called me because my A1C was just over 18 and they thought there had been a mistake. My BS averages in the 300s although I do dip into the
100s occasionally. I work but I am not sure how long I can continue to do so. My gait is unsteady and I have pain in the large muscles in my legs that make getting up and around very painful. I suffer from depression (long-term) and my depression medicine recently just stopped working for no apparent reason. My doc has switched me to the EMSAM patch and I am doing better although far from great. Not sure what else I can tell you. I am new to the Forum. I would appreciate it if somebody can tell me how to quickly see replies to my posts. I seem to be able to stumble upon them but I don't know the best way to get to them. Thanks for all the encouragment and I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Are you still using only Lantus once a day? You may need a fast acting insulin with meals also to get those numbers down. Have you seen a diabetes educator or dietician? They can help you with meal planning and learning to count carbs if you arent already doing so. You might need to really restrict your carbs a bit until you can get your blood into a safe range. Please feel free to ask anything or just let us know how you doing.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I saw my endo yesterday and I am in fairly bad shape. My BS was 599 and my A1C was above 14. Her ability to measure only goes that far. I am seeing a neurologist today and hopefully he will be able to provide some help for the neuropathy pain. Some folks asked for some backgound. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 20 years ago and have never had good control. At one time the lab called me because my A1C was just over 18 and they thought there had been a mistake. My BS averages in the 300s although I do dip into the
100s occasionally. I work but I am not sure how long I can continue to do so. My gait is unsteady and I have pain in the large muscles in my legs that make getting up and around very painful. I suffer from depression (long-term) and my depression medicine recently just stopped working for no apparent reason. My doc has switched me to the EMSAM patch and I am doing better although far from great. Not sure what else I can tell you. I am new to the Forum. I would appreciate it if somebody can tell me how to quickly see replies to my posts. I seem to be able to stumble upon them but I don't know the best way to get to them. Thanks for all the encouragment and I will keep you posted.
You may need to change some of your control panel notifications to get emails letting you know that someone has replied to your thread. Go to the CP at the top of the home page of the forum, go to edit options, view your options on receiving different notifications and make sure that you have enabled instant email notifications. Hopefully, by making a few changes to the control panel you will be notified of messages.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's never too late to get your levels down. Some of your complications may still be reversible, and I hope you & your endo can work together to accomplish this. Did you work out any new dosage for your Lantus, and have you considered using bolus insulin?

Using the EMSAM patch will give you greater latitude in adjusting your diet to your diabetes, and I urge you to begin restricting carbohydrates to see if that doesn't begin reducing your blood sugars quickly.

There is great support for you here on this forum, and I hope you'll begin to see some improvement very soon.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Noice, glad to meet you. First of all, you need to feel good about yourself. Have a positive attitude about your diabetes, learn to live with it and not give up. You can do it!!

For quite a while my numbers went up to 400-500 BG. My A1c was out of the roof, too.

I went on a lifetime eating plan. I am on 150 carbs a day, 3 oz of meat and one fruit a day. You can eat all of the veggies you want. Meat is where the trycliderides and cholesterol are at. Cut the skin off of your chicken. That is where the fat is. Eat only lean meat, the marble in meat is pure fat. Salmon is good for you. Read the labels and take only the serving size it is. Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal and All-Bran are great for you. My numbers are now down to 90-140 BG.

Watch what you eat for dessert, that can be a real killer. I eat yogurt with a tablespoon of preserves. You can eat nuts if you feel hungry. You will have to cut out the cakes and junk food. I know that is hard to do. If you go to a fast food restarunt, I eat only a salad. I prefer going to a buffett place where I can choose a healthy dinner.

You need to have a well planned exercise program, too. Do what you enjoy. For my pain, my doctor has put me on Tylenol w Codeine #3. That works and I can keep busy. Do not sit at the computer or TV all day, that will not work off your numbers.

Keeping busy is hard when you have depression. I know because I have depression, as well. Doing things helps me forget about my depression. Do not dwell on it. Dwelling on the fact that you have diabetes can make you depressed, too. I hope I have helped you.

Ruth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts