The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had it with my local family clinic !

In the past year since being diagnosed. I've had several annoying experiences with my local family clinic. And just today I've experienced a couple more.

Here are a few of the issues (that I can recall at the moment) I've experienced:

• I had lost 30lbs within the first month of being diagnosed. And that caused the Glyburide I was taking to give many hypos per day. I would take Glyburide with breakfast or dinner. And 45 minutes later I would be experiencing a hypo with BG down in the 30's.
    But the family clinic doctor would not take me off the Glyburide. Instead they told me to take Metformin with lunch instead of breakfast.
    I had to get my diabetes class instructor to call them before they FINALLY agreed to take me off Glyburide.
  • They're notorious for not answering their phones. You usually have to let it ring 40 or more times before they answer.
    There has even been times when they did not answer. And I had to walk over there. At which point they would tell me I should call.
  • They've screwed up a couple of prescriptions.
  • They've refused to give me an A1c test.
  • They've failed to mail me lab results even though I've filled out the proper release forms. And when I go in to complain the head doctor says they won't give out lab results unless I fill the release forms. I had to spend my time waiting for them to hunt around the office looking for the release forms that I HAD filled out. At which point the head doctor grudgingly gave me photocopies of the results.
  • I keep both written journals and computer journals of my diet, exercise, and BG readings. The original doctor doing her internship there would read through all of them. BUT her replacement refuses.
  • The original intern doctor would check my feet during every visit. BUT her replacement refuses.
  • The replacement intern doctor had told me to only test my BG once per day.
    What doctor instructs a newly diagnosed diabetic to only test once per day ?
  • This replacement intern doctor has told me several different ideal weights.
    The very first time I met her she said the ideal weight for me (6'3") is 225 lbs.
    On another visit she said the ideal weight is 160lbs. ON yet another visit she said the ideal weight is 180lbs. Can't she make up her mind ?
  • I had lab tests done on 2/13/2010. Today this doctor called me about the results of them. She said it was good news because "my a1c is down to 5.6". I had to correct her and point out that that means my a1c went UP not down.
    The moron was only comparing this latest a1c from the day I was diagnosed. She wasn't competent enough to read the other 5 a1c tests I had since then. AND my a1c from just 1 month prior was 5.1. SO 5.6 means I went UP 1/2 point in 4 weeks. That's not good news; that's bad news !
    (If they're even correct. My regular readings definatetly do NOT agree with 5.6. BUt they do agree with the 5.1 I had the month prior.)
  • Also today I had to ask her why she was calling me because I had filled out release forms. At which point she told me I could stop by and pick them up.
    BUT when I went to pick them up. No one in the office could find them OR the release form I had filled out.
  • There are other issues I've had with this new doctor. But I can;t recall them now because I don't have my notes in front of me.

So I think it's about time to find another doctor.
But while I do that; I also would like to file some official complaint against the clinic. There has to be some governing body that regulates doctors. Afterall doctors are licensed. Aren't they ?
But who or what is that governing body here in Pennsylvania USA ?

--ET

B

·
0 Posts
Try not to be so wishy washy next time..!

Now why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel.. and don't hold anything back. ;)

You're right though. I'd be changing Dr.'s as well as sending letters.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sorry I missed this earlier, ET, and thanks to Breeze responding, it popped to the top of the index again, so thanks, Breeze.

Are we talking about interns, as in fresh-out-of-med-school? Or are these internists, as in docs specializing in internal medicine?

If I were you, I would definitely be looking for a new provider with a more efficient staff. Then I would be speaking with the chief of staff at this clinic, and after that, move on up the chain of command if necessary. This link may help you find the state governing body: AMA - Links to State Medical Boards

One note regarding the A1c . . . this is a test that covers the previous three months in the life of your hemoglobin (that's roughly the life span of a red blood cell). While it is somewhat weighted toward the most recent month, the test is normally administered only three or four times a year.

Otherwise, I think you have legitimate complaints, and the idea that a doctor would refuse to check the feet of a diabetic patient is just beyond comprehension!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice and encouragement Breeze and Shanny.

The "interns" I refer to are "fresh-out-of-med-school". At least that's me understanding of their positions.

The first intern; the one I liked. Cared enough to write on the prescriptions the time of day when I should take the medications. Such as morning for Linsinopril and bedtime for simvistatin. But her replacement said that's the reponsibility of the pharmacy. The pharmacy said she's full-of-crap. Sheese ! Now I wish I had photocopied every prescription I had ever received.

As for speaking to the head doctor about my concerns. I don't think I feel comfortable doing that. He's the one who:
  • Refused to give me an A1c test last June. Even though I had not had a test done since March; and the intern that I liked wanted to give me a test. The head doctor said 6.1 in March was "good enough".
    And if you look at my signature you can see that I had actually dropped almost a whole point !
  • Refused to give me lab results even though I had signed the proper release forms. Fortunately his staff had gone against his orders and had given me a copy of the signed release forms that time. So I was able to shove that in his face; at which point he conceeded.
    That was last October. This past lab test done two weeks ago. His staff refused to give me a copy of the signed release forms. So I have no proof this time. :(

So I think I have to go directly over his head and file a complaint with the state.
BUT will that then cause all the other doctors in my area to refuse to accept me as a patient ?

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
First things first . . . get established with a new doctor. Then you can be getting quality medical care while the rest of this unfolds, and not have to worry whether you would be refused.

There might be a local or regional medical society where you could inquire about any previous complaints against this clinic. If you were able to locate other disgruntled patients & consolidate your claims, it would make a stronger complaint. Talk some more with the pharmacy staff, talk to other patients if you know of any. Just be in an information-gathering mode for a little while.

I know this has been building up & you have every right to be irate, but give yourself time to try & cool off, because you'll make a lot better argument if you aren't hoppin' mad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well the beauty about capitalism is that you have the power to vote on good service. You do that by only spending your money on a good doctor. So hit them in the wallet I'm sure they will eventually fail if they are consistently that in competent.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh yeah don't forget to find places that rate doctors online and leave your feedback there... it's a lot harder to remove something from the web were everyone can read, but make sure it's all factual so it's not slander.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks for the advice and encouragement Breeze and Shanny.

The "interns" I refer to are "fresh-out-of-med-school". At least that's me understanding of their positions.

The first intern; the one I liked. Cared enough to write on the prescriptions the time of day when I should take the medications. Such as morning for Linsinopril and bedtime for simvistatin. But her replacement said that's the reponsibility of the pharmacy. The pharmacy said she's full-of-crap. Sheese ! Now I wish I had photocopied every prescription I had ever received.

As for speaking to the head doctor about my concerns. I don't think I feel comfortable doing that. He's the one who:
  • Refused to give me an A1c test last June. Even though I had not had a test done since March; and the intern that I liked wanted to give me a test. The head doctor said 6.1 in March was "good enough".
    And if you look at my signature you can see that I had actually dropped almost a whole point !
  • Refused to give me lab results even though I had signed the proper release forms. Fortunately his staff had gone against his orders and had given me a copy of the signed release forms that time. So I was able to shove that in his face; at which point he conceeded.
    That was last October. This past lab test done two weeks ago. His staff refused to give me a copy of the signed release forms. So I have no proof this time. :(

So I think I have to go directly over his head and file a complaint with the state.
BUT will that then cause all the other doctors in my area to refuse to accept me as a patient ?

Thanks;
--ET
There is a website www.my3cents.com. Find your city and speak your mind. Stick to the truth and you should have no problem venting. This is a popular website and many people do read the posts. I posted on this website and I felt better. I found out that I was not the only person who had a negative experience with a business or medical practice. If you choose to have replies sent to your email, be prepared....there are people who will run you down for voicing your opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts