The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after much encouraging from the great helpful members here I went out and got a reli on meter and test stripes

so this morning before eating anything I tried it out for the first time

my reading came in at 86!!!!!

which makes me very happy since I June 09 my fasting was 137

this past July it was 103 but to me that seems like its a quite a big differnce--now I know the #s do vary but this seems to be a pretty big differnce--is that ok

soon I can do the 2 hr after eating--Im getting nervous!!!

thanks for all the help

take care
Penney

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im back to being bummed again

I just did the 2 hr after eating and it came back at 111!!!!!

I had a hard time getting blood to register--I had to do it 4 times

before I got enough--could this have anything at all to do with the #s

the first one was a piece of cake--now all my fingers hurt since I kept changing around

for lunch I had a fried egg sandwich w/cheese on Italian bread

Im thinking now it was more the bread but it was all I had

My #s are starting to creep back up and its getting down!!! to say the least

Ive gained a pound now I know that doesnt sound like alot but I still

havent been eating much and not only is the weight not going down

it actually went up!!! and BP is up 132/76 it was averaging 115-67

I even had it 97/56 just once!!!

please help

I can feel Im starting to freak out again!!!

take care all
Penney

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Penney,

Great news about the 'on-rising' fasting level of 86.

Nothing to freak out about the 111 two hours after eating that's just fine. If you want it to be lower then just keep working at it! Just try cutting back on the cake and the bread. That is the stuff to keep clear of!

Even the BP readings sound good.

You're doing just fine!

Best wishes - John

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No need to be bummed or freak out . . . that 111 is a good 2-hour reading. But if you're trying to get used to eating the foods that won't raise your blood sugar, give some thought to ditching the bread, or at least switching to whole multi-grain breads.

You might have to set the lancet device another notch or two deeper if you aren't getting a big enough drop of blood. One deeper poke might be better than several shallow ones that don't get the job done - save a few fingers for tomorrow's tests ;). I'm just really glad you've gotten a meter and are taking steps to understand how foods affect your blood sugar.

Calm yourself if you can - this is doable, and you can do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im back to being bummed again

I just did the 2 hr after eating and it came back at 111!!!!!

I had a hard time getting blood to register--I had to do it 4 times

before I got enough--could this have anything at all to do with the #s

the first one was a piece of cake--now all my fingers hurt since I kept changing around

for lunch I had a fried egg sandwich w/cheese on Italian bread

Im thinking now it was more the bread but it was all I had

My #s are starting to creep back up and its getting down!!! to say the least

Ive gained a pound now I know that doesnt sound like alot but I still

havent been eating much and not only is the weight not going down

it actually went up!!! and BP is up 132/76 it was averaging 115-67

I even had it 97/56 just once!!!

please help

I can feel Im starting to freak out again!!!

take care all
Penney
Hi Penney,

I'm going through exactly the same thing at the moment. I've started testing mt BG a couple of times a day at the same intervals and keeping track of the results. They have gone up and down like a roller coaster from 5.3 (95.4) to 7 (126) which I can tell you has a direct relation to what I'm putting into my body and how much I am exercising.

It's up to us to learn what works and what doesn't and then to make the choices that work for us and our lifestyles. I know it's scary, I've felt the same way and I don't freak out easily. What has helped is gaining the feeling of control over my BG by understanding more about what effects it.

Now please correct me senior members if I'm wrong but from my understanding the BG levels are expected to be higher 2 hours after eating than after fasting!!?? It just depends on what you eat as to how high it goes.

For me Low GI Carbs like sour dough bread and whole grain breads are a better choice but there is nothing like swapping it for a bit more protien to feel full and not blow out my sugars.

I am also a runner and that really makes a difference on the days I exercise and even the day after. Although I was shocked to learn that the BG goes up significantly straight after intense exercise but that is a normal thing everyones body does. Once it comes down again it stays lower for a lot longer and I can be a bit more relaxed about what I eat.

Sorry I just realised I'm going on a bit but it is all really new to me and I'm exited about learning to control it. Control freak, me....?

You can do it Penny!

Matt

·
Registered
204 Posts
..............I'm going through exactly the same thing at the moment. I've started testing mt BG a couple of times a day at the same intervals and keeping track of the results. They have gone up and down like a roller coaster from 5.3 (95.4) to 7 (126) which I can tell you has a direct relation to what I'm putting into my body and how much I am exercising.........
Hi Matt,

Yes the blood glucose numbers are usually in direct relation to the foods that you are putting into your body and the exercise that you are taking.

However, the 5.3 (95.4) to 7 (126) are totally normal levels. You are doing just fine!

..............Now please correct me senior members if I'm wrong but from my understanding the BG levels are expected to be higher 2 hours after eating than after fasting!!?? It just depends on what you eat as to how high it goes.................
Exactly right!

You are certainly following the right pathway! Just keep on going!

Best wishes - John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi John,

I forgot to mention I am currently Diagnosed as Insulin Resistant so the importance of keeping my BG below 7 (126) is a big deal for me, to try and avoid becoming fully type 2 Diabetic like so many of my family. I know there is not a big difference between Insulin Resistance and Type 2 but it's one I'm clinging to.

I think the more I control my diet now the less extreme it will have to be in years to come. I may even be able to avoid taking meds.

I have started to feel lucky I know about my condition before it is to late to do anything about it. Maybe everyone should be screened for high levels of insulin regularly so they can take control of it before wearing out their Pancreas.

Anyone who has the danger signs should certainly be directed here as the knowledge base is brilliant.

Hi Matt,

Yes the blood glucose numbers are usually in direct relation to the foods that you are putting into your body and the exercise that you are taking.

However, the 5.3 (95.4) to 7 (126) are totally normal levels. You are doing just fine!

Exactly right!

You are certainly following the right pathway! Just keep on going!

Best wishes - John

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Drop the cake, bread and anything that is white!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi John,

I forgot to mention I am currently Diagnosed as Insulin Resistant so the importance of keeping my BG below 7 (126) is a big deal for me, to try and avoid becoming fully type 2 Diabetic like so many of my family. I know there is not a big difference between Insulin Resistance and Type 2 but it's one I'm clinging to.

I think the more I control my diet now the less extreme it will have to be in years to come. I may even be able to avoid taking meds.

I have started to feel lucky I know about my condition before it is to late to do anything about it. Maybe everyone should be screened for high levels of insulin regularly so they can take control of it before wearing out their Pancreas.

Anyone who has the danger signs should certainly be directed here as the knowledge base is brilliant.
Hi again Matt,

You seem spot on as far as I am concerned. With the benefit of hindsight, the medical people should have been able to see my situation developing many years before my diagnosis ten years ago of having Type 2 in the very early stages - i.e. with a fasting blood glucose level of 7.2 (130) and an HbA1C of 5.7%. All the warning signals were there such as a sudden increase in blood pressure and a very elevated total cholesterol level - together with the classic suddenly putting on of weight - as many as fifteen years earlier.

I wish that I'd understand what I do now at that time because I'd have certainly been interested to try to avoid the situation developing any further. Even after I let my condition progress - i.e. deteriorate - for eight years following diagnosis, I have found that a tremendous amount is possible through the power of diet.

You seem to be very aware of what this is all about and I'm confident that you will be able to avoid any real problem developing just so long as you keep tuned in. Stick with it!

Very best wishes - John

·
Registered
930 Posts
oh well, my blood glucose was over 150mg/dl for years and was not noticed or flagged because the Veterans Administration Hospital considers any reading within 50mg/dl to 200mg/dl normal. such is life.

Hi again Matt,

You seem spot on as far as I am concerned. With the benefit of hindsight, the medical people should have been able to see my situation developing many years before my diagnosis ten years ago of having Type 2 in the very early stages - i.e. with a fasting blood glucose level of 7.2 (130) and an HbA1C of 5.7%. All the warning signals were there such as a sudden increase in blood pressure and a very elevated total cholesterol level - together with the classic suddenly putting on of weight - as many as fifteen years earlier.

I wish that I'd understand what I do now at that time because I'd have certainly been interested to try to avoid the situation developing any further. Even after I let my condition progress - i.e. deteriorate - for eight years following diagnosis, I have found that a tremendous amount is possible through the power of diet.

You seem to be very aware of what this is all about and I'm confident that you will be able to avoid any real problem developing just so long as you keep tuned in. Stick with it!

Very best wishes - John

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
on the second day of testing...

we went to chilies last nite to eat and unfortunatly I didnt get a chance to test but---

I tested first thing this morning and the reading was 89!!!!!!!!

I was shocked

so for lunch today I had my left over monterry chicken, 3 bits of loaded mashed potatoes and cinnimom apples

2 hrs later nervous as I was I tested and was even more shocked

to see 92!!!!!!

so I tested when I got home which was alittle over 3 hrs and got

74!!!!!!

but when I went to the dr the last time the lowest I could get the fasting was 102 and after eating was 104

thats why Im so worried that Im doing something wrong

any ideas

but thanks so much for helping me and putting up with hissy fits!!!

Im on cloud 9 now!!!!

take care all
Penney

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi again Penney,

All great results those - so I can't work out why you think that you might be "doing something wrong"?

Just keep on going!

Very best wishes - John

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi again Penney,

All great results those - so I can't work out why you think that you might be "doing something wrong"?

Just keep on going!

Very best wishes - John
the reason I think I did somthing wrong is when I go the dr I lowest I can get my #s is just a smidge over 100

and yet when I do it myself my #s are great

·
Registered
204 Posts
Penney - Don't worry about it!

All those numbers are totally normal and there is hardly any difference whatsoever between your tests and those taken at your doctor's surgery. Any result between 70 and 130 is quite normal and non-diabetic levels.

You sound to be doing just great!

Try a few tests one hour after finishing eating because that is likely to be the time that you readings are at the highest level. That will teach you which foods send you high.

Best wishes - John

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW I dont believe it!!!

I took the advice from people here and tested just a little over an hour after supper

which I had a small baked potatoe w/butter salt and pepper

BBQ ribs salad and a caffeine free pepsi!!! I know bad idea but

I just wanted to see what would happen---

Well------

# was 81!!!!!!! even with the soda!!!!!!

I guess I can follow my drs "orders" and start enjoying life

with reason of course!!! I not going to eat candy and cookies

all the time like I used to

I never never never want to let me #S get as high as they were

a great big thanks for all the great advice encouragement

and a kick in the arse when I needed it!!!!

you guys are great!!!

thanks again
take care
Penney

1 - 17 of 17 Posts