The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new A1C is 5.3. My cholesterol is 181 and everything looked great except for my cortisol level which was borderline high. High enough that I am to pee in a jug for 24 hours and take two pills at 11:00 one night and have bloodwork drawn the next morning. I know cortisol is the stress hormone so I am not surprised at this but I am not going to google to see what else it could mean. Any words of wisdom or comfort? I also had an abdominal ultrasound that showed a couple of super tiny polyps in my gallbladder. Excited I still have a low A1C. Scared about this cortisol level thing..............

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I know nothing about cortisol either, but "borderline" high doesn't sound dire: borderline is borderline. (Profundity at play.) Personally I'd be more curious than scared. Maybe googling would be more reassuring than scary?

However, I do know a little something about A1Cs and 5.3 is fantastic! WTG! :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHHH! I could have cushing's syndrome. Or it could be due to my anxiety. Let's go with anxiety.......................

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My doctor also told me to get this 24 hour free cortisol urine test for cushings syndrome.

He said my symptoms were too apparent for him to ignore...weight gain of 35 kgs (75 lbs) in two years, purple strech marks on the body, skin diseases like psoriasis etc

Well, my results came back normal but my BP went up because of stress.....

Tony

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
By the way congrats on the fantastic A1c....

How long did it take you to reach here ?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way congrats on the fantastic A1c....

How long did it take you to reach here ?
Don't get too excited for me. I was diagnosed in July and my A1C was 5.4. I flunked the crap out of the glucose tolerance test!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, but . . . yeah, but . . . you dropped a point off your A1c and that takes work. You deserve to take a bow, Jenn!
Thanks Shanny! It's great to have all the support here!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Lots of times D's who have high morning bgs, it may be due to higher than normal cortisol production. When your body produces too much cortisol it then signals liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose which keeps a lot of our bgs higher than they should. Congrats on the HbA1c.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts